Advice on recumbents

Old April 15th 04, 03:05 PM
Roger

Default Advice on recumbents

I'm thinking about buying a recumbent - any tips ?

I'm currently interested in 2 models,
- the Bike Friday foldable: I've had a Bike Friday before and like their
gear. The fact that it is foldable is a big plus. However the 16" wheels
seem to be quite a compromise.
- the HP Velotechnik 'Street Machine GT'. Looks like a good touring
machine.

Any other machines I should be looking at?

Am I right in thinking that the seat is the most important component?

The big turn off is the price, are there any good models that are
significantly below the EUR/USD 2500 mark?

And the difficulty test riding.... can't really try them all and then
decide what's best.... (I live in Belgium, but could nip over to UK, France,
Holland, or Germany if it were worth it.)

Any info, help, tips gratefully accepted.

Roger

Old April 15th 04, 03:48 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

Roger wrote:

I'm thinking about buying a recumbent - any tips ?

Yes: stop thinking about it and do it! ;-)

Try as many as you can. If possible go to some rallies and try lots (York
will probably have BikeFix and ICE on site again)

- the HP Velotechnik 'Street Machine GT'. Looks like a good touring
machine.

There's a reason for that. It /is/ a good touring machine...

There are very few disappointed owners (none that I know of). It's a very
well-mannered bike. Also try the comparable offerings from Challenge,
Optima and M5. Might even be worth a trip to a bentmonger in Holland to try
lots of them, as no recumbent is exactly cheap. Hang on a minute, I'll get
my coat...

Am I right in thinking that the seat is the most important component?

Hell no. The most important component is the rider; if the machine doesn't
fit the rider everything else is secondary. Hence the advise to try lots.

The big turn off is the price, are there any good models that are
significantly below the EUR/USD 2500 mark?

Not really. But it's a bike, bikes last forever. Unless they get metal
fatigue, and even then they get replaced under warranty.

And the difficulty test riding.... can't really try them all and then
decide what's best.... (I live in Belgium, but could nip over to UK,
France, Holland, or Germany if it were worth it.)

Belgium? Dammit, man, you are half an hour's drive away from the recumbent
capital of the world! There are three Dutch recumbent manufacturers.

--
Guy
===

Old April 15th 04, 04:43 PM
Frobnitz

"Roger" wrote in message
I'm thinking about buying a recumbent - any tips ?

- the HP Velotechnik 'Street Machine GT'. Looks like a good touring
machine.

I bought one in February, and I love it - it's comfortable, it's relaxing,
it carries an enormous load with little or no effect on the handling -
HPVelotechnik really got their sums right when designing the balance of it.
I would put in a warning that like most recumbents it is a bit heavy - about
16kilos or so, and it is physically large and can be cumbersome to
manouever. Having said that, when a ramp was closed on my commute, I could
literally tuck the machine under my arm (over the seat and under the frame)
and jog up a set of steps, but this was with out any bags on it.

Any other machines I should be looking at?

Lots - as Guy said in his reply there are many makers - Optima, Nazca and
others in the Netherlands which is close to you - HPVelotechnik make other
models - the Grasshopper is a new model that makes a nippy light tourer -
have a look at http://www.bentrideronline.com and follow the "Buyers Guide"
link at the top.

Am I right in thinking that the seat is the most important component?

On the bike itself there is no one most important component (other than the
rider), and what one person think is the best, may not be the best for you.
On the subject of the seat, if you get a recumbent with a solid seat, get a
breathable seat cushion, otherwise your back gets a bit damp.

The big turn off is the price, are there any good models that are
significantly below the EUR/USD 2500 mark?

No, not even second-hand. My Streetmachine cost about 3000 EUR, and I had
to cut down from my original spec. This is a lot of money, and why you
really need to test ride as many as possible, and try as many variations as
possible - it's a big wedge of money to spend, so you want to get what is
right for you. Having said that, I do not regret paying more for my bike
than I did for my car, I find it hard to take the grin off my face as I
pedal along.

And the difficulty test riding.... can't really try them all and then
decide what's best.... (I live in Belgium, but could nip over to UK,

France,
Holland, or Germany if it were worth it.)

Holland. That's the place - I reckon it would be well worth it - living on
our island can be a bit isolating.

One thing - when you do get a recumbent, be ready for people to stop and
talk to you about it - normally along the lines of "Wow - cool bike - where
did you get it, what's it like to ride, where can I get one......."

Have fun, and good luck

Eddie Dubourg

Old April 15th 04, 05:01 PM
Cletus Lee

In article , says...
I'm thinking about buying a recumbent - any tips ?

I'm currently interested in 2 models,
- the Bike Friday foldable: I've had a Bike Friday before and like their
gear. The fact that it is foldable is a big plus. However the 16" wheels
seem to be quite a compromise.
- the HP Velotechnik 'Street Machine GT'. Looks like a good touring
machine.

Any other machines I should be looking at?

Am I right in thinking that the seat is the most important component?

The big turn off is the price, are there any good models that are
significantly below the EUR/USD 2500 mark?

And the difficulty test riding.... can't really try them all and then
decide what's best.... (I live in Belgium, but could nip over to UK, France,
Holland, or Germany if it were worth it.)

Any info, help, tips gratefully accepted.

Roger

The Street Machine is a good touring bike, Deemed a bit heavy by many though. As others have
suggested, the Dutch models are also worthy candidates.

The Bike Sat-R-day is IMO marginally suitable for more than just an overnight tour. Larry Varney
(who may still be posting here) would be a good resource for more information for touring with a
Bike Sat-R-Day.

You can also check out 'BentRider Online
http://www.bentrideronline.com/ for more 'bent
information. The touring forum on the message board would be very helpful. Larry Varney is one of
the regulars there. If you do post in the 'BentRider Online forums, you will need to clarify that
your interest is in bike available in Europe. The Message board is typically America Centric.

If you can see some American 'bents, the Lightning Voyager (my touring recumbent) is a particularly
good touring machine. It is S&S coupled and comes apart to pack in an airline acceptable size case.
I have taken this bike to Europe a couple of times. It is short enough to take on trains and will
fit in just about any area set aside for a standard DF. This may not be the case for many of the
European recumbents.

--

Cletus D. Lee
Bacchetta Giro
Old April 15th 04, 07:49 PM
Carol Hague

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

Roger wrote:

And the difficulty test riding.... can't really try them all and then
decide what's best.... (I live in Belgium, but could nip over to UK,
France, Holland, or Germany if it were worth it.)

Belgium? Dammit, man, you are half an hour's drive away from the recumbent
capital of the world! There are three Dutch recumbent manufacturers.

The weekend after next is the Spezi bike show in Germersheim - lots of
recumbent stuff there and I believe they have a test track. Well worth a
visit if you can get there. Rob, my husband will be there, racing and
helping out on the Greenspeed stand.

http://www.spezialradmesse.de/ has more details about the show, in
English as well as German.

--
Carol
"The bicycle is the product of pure reason applied to motion."
Old April 15th 04, 10:09 PM
Kit Wolf

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004, Roger wrote:

I'm thinking about buying a recumbent - any tips ?

I'm currently interested in 2 models,
- the Bike Friday foldable: I've had a Bike Friday before and like their
gear. The fact that it is foldable is a big plus. However the 16" wheels
seem to be quite a compromise.
- the HP Velotechnik 'Street Machine GT'. Looks like a good touring
machine.

Any other machines I should be looking at?

My bike is an M5 28/20 - similar to the Street-machine but lighter (13.5
kg), higher, cheaper - but it is an old design with outmoded elastomer
suspension that works fine but eventually perishes.

Am I right in thinking that the seat is the most important component?

The big turn off is the price, are there any good models that are
significantly below the EUR/USD 2500 mark?

If you feel confident assembling a bike from the frameset, then M5 have
some very good offers. I recently bought an M5 frameset for about 800
euros including VAT and postage - as I recall it came with everything but
wheels, brakes and the chainset/gears.

If you are interested in taking this route, I'd take a look at the newer
M5 models rather than the 28/20 (though it's a good bike). Email me
offline if you're interested.

And the difficulty test riding.... can't really try them all and then
decide what's best.... (I live in Belgium, but could nip over to UK, France,
Holland, or Germany if it were worth it.)

Always the problem...

Kit

Old April 15th 04, 10:46 PM
Joe Keenan

"Roger" wrote in message ...
I'm thinking about buying a recumbent - any tips ?

I'm currently interested in 2 models,
- the Bike Friday foldable: I've had a Bike Friday before and like their
gear. The fact that it is foldable is a big plus. However the 16" wheels
seem to be quite a compromise.
- the HP Velotechnik 'Street Machine GT'. Looks like a good touring
machine.

Any other machines I should be looking at?

Am I right in thinking that the seat is the most important component?

The big turn off is the price, are there any good models that are
significantly below the EUR/USD 2500 mark?

And the difficulty test riding.... can't really try them all and then
decide what's best.... (I live in Belgium, but could nip over to UK, France,
Holland, or Germany if it were worth it.)

Any info, help, tips gratefully accepted.

Roger

Roger,

The rightful owner of Larry Varney's SAT R DAY speaking up or is it
out? g The SRD is an exceptional recumbent, especially if you do a
lot of traveling. It wouldn't be my first choice for an every day
bike if no travel is involved. One thing I know. I'll never sell it
no matter how much money Larry offers me. The bike is stable, rock
solid, and fun to ride.

As for your "bent", might could be more help if I knew what your
budget is and what kind of riding you like to do.

Cheers

Slow Joe
Old April 15th 04, 11:49 PM
Arne

Just for a bit of balance, I am 6'-2", weigh 200 pounds.. I bought a
Sat-r-day recumbent with huge expectations. Keep in mind, also, I was 60 y/o
when I made the purchase.... I kept it for 2 weeks and really tried to love
it... and couldn't (I rode it for about 25 miles, total). If you must have a
folder, and I mean must with a capital M, then... maybe. There is no way it
could be my main recumbent. The package weighs in at close to 40 pounds. So,
think of yourself with a 40 pound suitcase PLUS whatever else you might have
on your trip.... for me, I use a carry-on for all my trips, no matter how
long they might be (last was 4 weeks in AU), no bent..... I also found it
very clumsy to try and get back into the case.. I would almost rather have a
Voyager where you take it apart and pack it (with couplers).

Ride-wise, the s/r/d was almost acceptable (but 'toy-like), but it has 2
small wheels. The seat is made for something that has to 'get small'..... I
really wish there was something good I could say about my adventure with the
bent, so....it can be put into a suitcase..... bottom line, the dream vs.
the reality, and the reality wasn't pretty... but the pre-delivery dream was
great..

I currently have two really nice recumbents, a rans vivo (dual suspension,
no longer made) and a GRR folder (and shipable in a bike case)...... I do
hear a dual 26" calling me and talked to hostel shoppe about a volae Tour
dual 26 today..... will have to think a while on that one.
..
Arne, USA (member of the human tribe)
..
"Joe Keenan" wrote in message
om...

Old April 16th 04, 01:58 AM
Melinda Meahan - remove TRASH to reply

Roger wrote:

The big turn off is the price, are there any good models that are
significantly below the EUR/USD 2500 mark?

Several low-end models are Actionbent, Cycle Genius, and Sun/EZ-1
(designed by Easy Racers, built by Sun). They are all under US$1000.
And I think there are some around $1500, but that's too far above my
budget so I never look at them, but there's some European model whose
name I forget in that range that I have longed for at times.

--
I know God will not give me anything I can't handle.
I just wish that He didn't trust me so much. - Mother Teresa
Old April 16th 04, 12:25 PM
LioNiNoiL_a t_NetscapE_D 0 T_NeT

Roger wrote:

I'm currently interested in 2 models,
- the Bike Friday foldable: I've had a Bike Friday before and like
their gear. The fact that it is foldable is a big plus. However
the 16" wheels seem to be quite a compromise.

I like the Bike Friday too, but I've done a lot of travelling with the
M5 CMPCT, and I like it better. The standard front wheel of the CMPCT is
16" (305mm), but that doesn't seem to impair its handling; and you can
get dual 20" (451mm) wheels as an option, if you prefer.

http://www.m5-ligfietsen.com/main.php?sNewPage=CMPCT