Really Weird Cycling Forum Practices.

Old November 23rd 18, 09:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Really Weird Cycling Forum Practices.

Many of the cycling forums are being installed on a single server site. They are using the high security password system that works so strangely that I have simply stopped using them.

I will register on one of these forums and when my system asks me if I want to save the log on information I will respond YES.

Then the next time I log on it will say that my log-on information is incorrect.

Now really, you have to ask yourself - WHO is going to sign on as me and make an entry into a bicycle forum? Half of you guys wouldn't even read my postings to begin with. So why would you want such a tight security system that even automatic log-ins are questioned?

So, I've pretty much stopped talking on any of the groups except here where I can REALLY irritate people.
Old November 23rd 18, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/23/2018 2:55 PM, wrote:
Many of the cycling forums are being installed on a single server site. They are using the high security password system that works so strangely that I have simply stopped using them.

I will register on one of these forums and when my system asks me if I want to save the log on information I will respond YES.

Then the next time I log on it will say that my log-on information is incorrect.

Now really, you have to ask yourself - WHO is going to sign on as me and make an entry into a bicycle forum? Half of you guys wouldn't even read my postings to begin with. So why would you want such a tight security system that even automatic log-ins are questioned?

So, I've pretty much stopped talking on any of the groups except here where I can REALLY irritate people.

I'm with you. My state sales tax reports are now on line
with login, machine-generated password and a third 'security
key' emailed back after preliminary login. To which I say
PLEASE let every Nigerian prince and Russian hacker make tax
payments into my account! Please! There are no withdrawals
from a sales tax account, only deposits, so what exactly are
we securing and why?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 24th 18, 03:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Fri, 23 Nov 2018 12:55:25 -0800, sltom992 wrote:

Many of the cycling forums are being installed on a single server site.
They are using the high security password system that works so strangely
that I have simply stopped using them.

I will register on one of these forums and when my system asks me if I
want to save the log on information I will respond YES.

Then the next time I log on it will say that my log-on information is
incorrect.

Which forum?

We had a newish one open here a few years ago and it just didn't like my
sign-up on any of the times I tried, so I've ignored it for years until
recently.

It seems it was a common problem and they finally admitted that they were
blanket black listing IP ranges. So if your internet access came through
an ISP/RSP that allocated IP numbers from a pool, you could easiy be
using one used by someone they black listed(aka disagreed with their
views).

I've also had problems on other forums where the sign-up is fine, but
only if you use the exact same browsers & version and IP. No VPN, no
different browser, no javascript/flash/etc, different image test, going
wifi instead of wired, hair parted the wrong way, etc, when you return.

There are also a number of forums where I just throw my signup email
address into the "forgot my password" box and wait for a new password
that I cut and paste.

Then there is firefox which can somehow swap what you've just entered for
an old combination.

Old November 24th 18, 05:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Saturday, November 24, 2018 at 1:40:57 AM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
On Friday, November 23, 2018 at 9:37:56 PM UTC, AMuzi wrote:
On 11/23/2018 2:55 PM, wrote:
[...]

The peace of mind of the mindless?

Plenty of proprietary information including EIN, sales volume, personal or company financial information. Some people are super private about their tax payments -- or lack thereof.

-- Jay Beattie.

From the cycling+ forum wafflycat UK 1 April 2nd 07 12:38 PM
new cycling forum [email protected] General 0 April 6th 06 01:10 AM
Cycling Plus Forum - is it down (31/3/ - 1/4/) Pete Whelan UK 9 April 2nd 06 09:53 AM
another cycling forum sam General 0 April 27th 05 11:46 AM
Wiltshire Cycling Forum Michael Kent UK 7 January 27th 04 02:00 AM