Heart rate recovery

Old July 10th 03, 01:20 PM
Jack

Default Heart rate recovery

Hi
I'm a skinny (8.5 stone = 119 pounds) 53 yr old male (just to set he scene)
My resting pulse is about 70bpm
I did some cycling exercise for 45 minuets today, (a lovely run) averaging
143 beats per minute

An hour later after I had stopped the exercise, my heart rate was still 85
bpm

Would you say this is normal?

This is the first time I've checked my heart rate an hour after the event -
I think I'll always try to do this in the future in order to get a baseline
for future monitoring.

Thanks

Old July 10th 03, 02:32 PM
Pbwalther

Many people have higher resting heart rates after sustained exercise. I
suppose that the body needs more blood flow to various areas to shore up the
working parts to get them ready for exercise again if need be.
Old July 10th 03, 05:29 PM
Bonnell Frost

From my experience, after a 140 bpm workout, I'll drop about
35 or 40 pretty quickly, in two minutes. THEN I enter a
cooldown phase, and it drops much more slowly for about an
hour. My resting is high 50's. If you are still warm, your
heart rate may stay up a bit.

Old July 13th 03, 06:34 AM
one of the six billion

"Jack" wrote in message
Hi
I'm a skinny (8.5 stone = 119 pounds) 53 yr old male (just to set he

scene)
My resting pulse is about 70bpm
I did some cycling exercise for 45 minuets today, (a lovely run)

averaging
143 beats per minute

An hour later after I had stopped the exercise, my heart rate was still

85
bpm

Would you say this is normal?

This is the first time I've checked my heart rate an hour after the

event -
I think I'll always try to do this in the future in order to get a

baseline
for future monitoring.

Thanks

If I do a hard workout during the day, my heartrate will never get back to
my morning resting heartrate for the rest of the day.

Old July 13th 03, 04:21 PM
Mark Hickey

"one of the six billion" wrote:

If I do a hard workout during the day, my heartrate will never get back to
my morning resting heartrate for the rest of the day.

Even if you don't do a hard workout, it's unlikely your HR will ever
get down to your true resting heart rate. It's always lowest in the
morning before you've gotten out of bed (or even rolled over to turn
off the alarm clock or annoy the wife). In my case, the difference
was around 10 bpm.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old July 15th 03, 01:35 PM
Elisa Francesca Roselli

I take my baseline from before rather than after the activity, but sometimes I
leave the monitor on after the exercise to see how it evolves.

I don't get back to base until quite a while after stopping the exercise. But
another important factor to consider is eating. I generally have dinner after I
finish exercizing and the fact of _digesting_ sends my rate _way_ up. So If
you're doing the same, allow for it.

Elisa Roselli
Paris, France