OT Propelled inline skating

Old May 6th 11, 04:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default OT Living music, was OT Propelled inline skating

On 5/5/2011 10:21 PM, James wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:
On May 4, 5:01 pm, Chalo wrote:
Most human ears have moved on. At
least they grooved on it.

Music has moved at least as far beyond J.S. Bach as J.S. Bach had
moved beyond monophonic Dark Ages tunes. It's very hard to make a
case for pre-blue, pre-swing, pre-syncopation, pre-groove sounds now
that we have been programmed with the good stuff. Listening to what
passed for dance music in Western culture before the 20th century,
it's baffling that anyone could dance to it. But music is a living
thing, and after it has died, even the most skillful taxidermist can't
give back what once was there.

Nonsense. Any notion that fashion equates with progress is easily
disproven by bubble gum music, disco and rap. Standards have fallen a
great deal.

There's no accounting for taste, of course; and there's a variety of
legitimate aesthetics. But in music and dancing (and poetry, and
sculpture, and painting) my standard is, if you can't tell when the
artist makes a mistake, it's not art. Or at least, not serious art.
Grunge bands banging out dissonant chords too loud to hear? Not
music, not art. Jackson Pollock? Give me a break.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Side_of_the_Moon

Don't think I'll grow tired of listening to it.

I would.

On the other hand, I could listen to BWV 232 every day, and hear
something new each time.

Interestingly, after introducing it to some younger folks, they seem to
get hooked too. Less so on J. S. Bach I suspect.

"Everyone loves J.S. Bach except cretins and those with undeveloped or
improperly developed minds." - Tom Sherman

It would be interesting to experiment on people who'd never heard music,
apart from their own drums and percussion perhaps, to see what they
would want to listen too. A clean slate is difficult to find.

Their intellectual development would track with the music they prefer,
of course.

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.
Old May 6th 11, 03:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 5, 10:53*pm, Chalo wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote:

Tºm Shermªn wrote:

Hildegard of Bingen?

More to my taste. *But I'm used to being in the minority.

Man, talk about dead music. *That stuff was for celibate stiffs even
in the12th century.

I bet there was some lively and interesting music in the 1100s, but it
must have died with its practitioners.

Nope. Some of it is still being played today. Probably more would
be, but there's the problem of not having any original recordings to
pass around. Even musical notation wasn't common, and certainly
wasn't well standardized. Much of the notation that existed was
intended more as a guide for improvization (jamming) than what you get
in high school band: "Play those notes or we'll rap your knuckles."

*And I reckon it would sound spectacularly dorky to our ears.

FWIW: We were in Tallinn, Estonia on vacation last year. Tallinn has
one of the best-preserved medieval "old towns" in Europe.
http://tinyurl.com/3cfa6cx

Anyway, while there, we caught a performance by Hortus Musicus doing
medieval music. They (like other such groups I've seen) dispelled the
modern idea that all early music was stiff, formal and solemn. The
performance had energy like a rock band.

Sure, in those days you had plenty of solemn music inside the
churches, but out on the streets, you had crumhorns, shawms, cornetti,
bagpipes, hurdy-gurdy and other interesting instruments wailing away.

And in 2010, just as in 1410, the crowd certainly got into it. While
there's certainly room for individual taste, we shouldn't think that
people back then were somehow so different from people today.

Here's a clip. Not my favorite piece, but it gives an idea of the
presentation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1VQ3FW-ZsQ

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 6th 11, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On May 6, 7:38*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On May 5, 10:53*pm, Chalo wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Tºm Shermªn wrote:

[...]

Well, they were different -- they had entirely different expectations
about pitch, harmony, rythm, etc. The temperaments and pitch on those
old double reeds are enough to give most modern listeners a headache,
and the weird modes do not mesh well with current notions of harmony.
Not that it was bad -- but it's not something most of the MP3 crowd
would find satisfying. It's never going to be "Johnny B. Goode." I
like the old dance music, but my favorite version is the re-do by
Respighi. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQrXTGmTqb4 -- Jay
Beattie.

Old May 6th 11, 11:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 5/6/2011 1:36 PM, Jay Beattie wrote:
On May 6, 7:38 am, Frank wrote:
On May 5, 10:53 pm, wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Tºm Shermªn wrote:

[...]

Indeed. Renaissance dance music is much better.

like the old dance music, but my favorite version is the re-do by
Respighi. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQrXTGmTqb4 -- Jay
Beattie.

If you want something very loud, fast and with energy but no annoying
electrical amplification and distortion:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMly__Q99-w&feature=related.

Old May 7th 11, 12:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On May 5, 10:53*pm, Chalo wrote:

Frank Krygowski wrote:

Tºm Shermªn wrote:

[...]

I meant that people were not stiff, formal and solemn all the time.

The temperaments and pitch on those
old double reeds are enough to give most modern listeners a headache,
and the weird modes do not mesh well with current notions of harmony.

It took me a while to recognize that I'm very fond of Dorian and
Myxolidian mode tunes. That's part of what draws me to Celtic and
Appalachian music, as well as some Eastern European stuff. So when my
wife and I took a music appreciation course (the one for musicians) at
the university a few years ago, I asked the professor why those modes
are so rarely used today. He said something like what you said: "They
don't work well with modern harmony."

Yet if you dig into modern British Isles music, you can find musicians
that are doing very cool things with jazz chords behind ancient modal
fiddle tunes. Martin Hayes & Dennis Cahill do that brilliantly. John
Renbourne (as part of Pentangle) built a career on medieval/jazz
crossover. And there are modern modal jazz tunes, as well. I figure
that professor (a good guy and great musician) was just too much into
Western European formal music.

Not that it was bad -- but it's not something most of the MP3 crowd
would find satisfying.

:-) Most of the MP3 crowd find Dancing with the Stars and SUVs
satisfying. I'm in an entirely different universe - or, more
accurately, often wish I were.

*It's never going to be "Johnny B. Goode." I
like the old dance music, but my favorite version is the re-do by
Respighi.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQrXTGmTqb4*

I love Respighi. And recently we (re-)heard a really nice, modern
wind ensemble arrangement of themes from Praetorius' "Terpsichore."
Many composers and musicians have built on ancient music as
inspiration. Lots of good possibilities there.

And BTW, "Johnny B. Goode" is cool, too.

- Frank Krygowski
Old May 7th 11, 02:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Doe

Default OT Propelled inline skating

Chalo chalo.colina gmail.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:

I am no spring chicken, but I still street skate with lots of
protective gear including a helmet of course. I fell while
skating downhill today without losing a beat, thanks to the
gear.

So much for the wisdom and dignity that is supposed to come with
age.

Even a kid riding in the backseat of a car can benefit from
protective gear.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/28097/bumper_hit/
--

Chalo

Old May 7th 11, 02:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

On 5/6/2011 6:30 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]
And BTW, "Johnny B. Goode" is cool, too.

Heard from about 5:52 to 7:44 of this cycling safety instructional
video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkgj2so_oZE.

Old May 7th 11, 08:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Chalo wrote:

T?m ShermÅÕn wrote:

Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:

T[]m Sherm/\n wrote:

Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:

I am advancing in years, and I often lose track of whatever point I
was trying to make.

I think it was something about fruit boots in this case. Â*And the
demographic distribution of people wearing wheels on their feet.

Be sure to mute your sound *before* clicking on this link, to avoid
obnoxious noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npp37XfE47A

Ear cleaner for those who fail to heed my warning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKtLL7g7Cv4.

Isn't that a little like accidentally getting some Loctite in your
mouth and then cleaning it out with Marmite?

More like dilute hydrochloric acid followed by a really, really, really
good fruit brandy.

If you say so. I'm more reminded of something fermented until fully
stabilized, but also until it has no remaining appeal to a well-
exposed palate.

"Everyone loves J.S. Bach except cretins and those with undeveloped or
improperly developed minds." - Tom Sherman

Procol Harum did their best to redeem it, but I personally don't
believe it was worth their time. Most human ears have moved on. At
least they grooved on it.

Music has moved at least as far beyond J.S. Bach as J.S. Bach had
moved beyond monophonic Dark Ages tunes. It's very hard to make a
case for pre-blue, pre-swing, pre-syncopation, pre-groove sounds now
that we have been programmed with the good stuff. Listening to what
passed for dance music in Western culture before the 20th century,
it's baffling that anyone could dance to it. But music is a living
thing, and after it has died, even the most skillful taxidermist can't
give back what once was there.

I admit to being somewhat spoiled by living in a highly musical
clique, within a highly musical subculture, within a city whose
musical charms are unparalleled. I don't doubt that there could be
some provincial places within the country that are, musically
speaking, three hundred years behind my corner of Austin. But actual
three hundred year old music is still dead, even in those places.

You continue to blackguard that which does not appeal to you,
just as you do with bicycles. Shall I tell you about the
things I do not like? With all my reasons? I've got a little list.

--
Michael Press
Old May 7th 11, 08:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On May 7, 12:12*pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,

*Chalo wrote:
T?m ShermÅÕn wrote:

Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:

T[]m Sherm/\n wrote:

Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:

I am advancing in years, and I often lose track of whatever point I
was trying to make.

I think it was something about fruit boots in this case. *And the
[...]

O.K., so long as they are off topic.

And by the way, Mexican polkas are the only good music. Bach was
striving his whole life to play good conjunto but lacked a proper
accordion. He was known for telling his organ makers to "make it
smaller . . . no, much smaller, so I can hold it like a baby." -- Jay
Beattie.
Old May 7th 11, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Michael Press

In article
,
Jay Beattie wrote:

On May 7, 12:12Â*pm, Michael Press wrote:
In article
,

Â*Chalo wrote:
T?m ShermÅÕn wrote:

Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:

T[]m Sherm/\n wrote:

Çhâlõ Çólîñã wrote:

I am advancing in years, and I often lose track of whatever point I
was trying to make.

I think it was something about fruit boots in this case. Â*And the
demographic distribution of people wearing wheels on their feet.

Be sure to mute your sound *before* clicking on this link, to avoid
obnoxious noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npp37XfE47A

Ear cleaner for those who fail to heed my warning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKtLL7g7Cv4.

Isn't that a little like accidentally getting some Loctite in your
mouth and then cleaning it out with Marmite?

More like dilute hydrochloric acid followed by a really, really, really
good fruit brandy.

If you say so. Â*I'm more reminded of something fermented until fully
stabilized, but also until it has no remaining appeal to a well-
exposed palate.

"Everyone loves J.S. Bach except cretins and those with undeveloped or
improperly developed minds." - Tom Sherman

Procol Harum did their best to redeem it, but I personally don't
believe it was worth their time. Â*Most human ears have moved on. Â*At
least they grooved on it.

Music has moved at least as far beyond J.S. Bach as J.S. Bach had
moved beyond monophonic Dark Ages tunes. Â*It's very hard to make a
case for pre-blue, pre-swing, pre-syncopation, pre-groove sounds now
that we have been programmed with the good stuff. Â*Listening to what
passed for dance music in Western culture before the 20th century,
it's baffling that anyone could dance to it. Â*But music is a living
thing, and after it has died, even the most skillful taxidermist can't
give back what once was there.

I admit to being somewhat spoiled by living in a highly musical
clique, within a highly musical subculture, within a city whose
musical charms are unparalleled. Â*I don't doubt that there could be
some provincial places within the country that are, musically
speaking, three hundred years behind my corner of Austin. Â*But actual
three hundred year old music is still dead, even in those places.

You continue to blackguard that which does not appeal to you,
just as you do with bicycles. Shall I tell you about the
things I do not like? With all my reasons? I've got a little list.

O.K., so long as they are off topic.

And by the way, Mexican polkas are the only good music. Bach was
striving his whole life to play good conjunto but lacked a proper
accordion. He was known for telling his organ makers to "make it
smaller . . . no, much smaller, so I can hold it like a baby."

You have it upside down. Bach wrote many bourées.
The polka is derived from the bourée. And Bach
quite enjoyed big organ music.

--
Michael Press

Skating Chain Paul Kopit Techniques 9 May 3rd 07 05:13 AM
WTB: DA inline 9S gear indicators Mariano pacini Marketplace 1 February 17th 07 02:07 PM
Cycling and skating? LSMike UK 3 February 14th 05 01:19 PM
Self Propelled BC Wheel UniBrier Unicycling 2 October 19th 03 02:58 AM
speed, wheels, and inline skaters skott Recumbent Biking 40 September 18th 03 10:06 AM