Pentasport issues

Old April 22nd 17, 01:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Default Pentasport issues

On the Torpedo Pentasport (5 gear) bikes, there
are often two small loop holes (?) on the chain
stays to direct the wires.

They remind of the same things on a casting rod
directing the line.

Those are most often not on the Torpedo 3
bikes, and I suspect this is because the wire
there are on the opposite side of the chain
guard, so there is no reason to keep the wire
aligned to the chain stay (away from the chain
guard). Once there, on the Pentasport, they
might have thought "we might as well put
another one on the other side as well".

Another reason might be the control or hub
mechanism, which require more power (?) so it
is more important to better align the wire to
the twin pulley wheels by the crank.

A third reason (tho seeming more unlikely) is
to align the gear chains certain ways coming
out of the hub.

What do you think?

Another detail are the rubber "hats" on the
hollow dome nuts to protect the chains
I suppose when you put the bike in a rack etc.
Anyone has a name for those?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573
Old April 22nd 17, 01:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/21/2017 7:37 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
[...]

Sturmey calls those 'indicator protector'
Robot says:
indikator mätare
beskyddare

In the case of the Sturmey plastic caps, they aren't
particularly effective when the bike is dumped on the
pavement at speed. The cap cuts through and the indicator is
lost.
The caps may help in a bike parking rack, at least somewhat,
assuming any real damage is possible there.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 22nd 17, 02:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

Sturmey calls those 'indicator protector'
Robot says: indikator mätare beskyddare

Ha ha ha

Sure a pretentious name, even more so in the
robot translation!

I dare say you could ask 100 bike professionals
for that and not a single one would give you
a pair of those tiny caps

Old April 22nd 17, 02:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

The caps may help in a bike parking rack, at
least somewhat, assuming any real damage is
possible there.

Those chains are sometimes deformed, twisted
and/or buckled. I always thought this happened
when people forced their bikes into packed
racks, including when other people were
muscling *their* bikes in and out...

Are you saying they only happen when the
bike falls? That doesn't happen that often...
but I suppose one time is enough and some of
these bikes are decades old by now!

It sure can't happen from normal usage, can it?

Old April 22nd 17, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

AMuzi wrote:

Sturmey calls those 'indicator protector'
Robot says: indikator mätare beskyddare

What/who is Sturmey and does he/it has a name
for the casting rod loop holes as well?

Old April 22nd 17, 12:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/21/2017 8:36 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
AMuzi wrote:

Sturmey calls those 'indicator protector'
Robot says: indikator mätare beskyddare

What/who is Sturmey and does he/it has a name
for the casting rod loop holes as well?

Sturmey Archer developed the first popular multispeed
gearboxes for bicycles. You meant this type of plastic
cover, yes?

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/compo...r-guard-p14736

Old April 22nd 17, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

AMuzi wrote in news
AMuzi wrote:

Sturmey calls those 'indicator protector'
Robot says: indikator mätare beskyddare

What/who is Sturmey and does he/it has a name
for the casting rod loop holes as well?

Sturmey Archer developed the first popular multispeed
gearboxes for bicycles. You meant this type of plastic
cover, yes?

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/compo...ewers-c122/stu
rmey-archer-hsl711-r-h-indicator-guard-p14736

Wow, interesting site! I saw this, http://preview.tinyurl.com/SAaxelkey, and
flashed back to 1968 and my three-speed Supercycle (actually a Raleigh with
different head badge and decals) when I took the rear hub apart as far as I
dared. That's my "Goldbrick" selling for CAD59.95 at the top of the left-
hand page.
https://threespeedmania.files.wordpr...-72.jpeg?w=590
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old April 22nd 17, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Andrew Chaplin wrote:

Wow, interesting site! I saw this,
http://preview.tinyurl.com/SAaxelkey, and
flashed back to 1968 and my three-speed
Supercycle (actually a Raleigh with different
head badge and decals) when I took the rear hub
apart as far as I dared. That's my "Goldbrick"
selling for CAD59.95 at the top of the left-
hand page.
https://threespeedmania.files.wordpr...-72.jpeg?w=590

We don't have many British hubs here at all for
some reason. The Germans must have done a good
job nearly monopolizing the market. There are
also some eastern-block hubs that look very
much like the Torpedos.

Old April 22nd 17, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

AMuzi wrote in news
AMuzi wrote:

Sturmey calls those 'indicator protector'
Robot says: indikator mätare beskyddare

What/who is Sturmey and does he/it has a name
for the casting rod loop holes as well?

Sturmey Archer developed the first popular multispeed
gearboxes for bicycles. You meant this type of plastic
cover, yes?

https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/compo...ewers-c122/stu
rmey-archer-hsl711-r-h-indicator-guard-p14736

Wow, interesting site! I saw this, http://preview.tinyurl.com/SAaxelkey, and
flashed back to 1968 and my three-speed Supercycle (actually a Raleigh with
different head badge and decals) when I took the rear hub apart as far as I
dared. That's my "Goldbrick" selling for CAD59.95 at the top of the left-
hand page.
https://threespeedmania.files.wordpr...-72.jpeg?w=590

That's the hard way around. Next time, remove the left cone
and locknut and then undo the complete gear assembly as a
unit. Rebuilds are done at the bench in a vise, notably
setting the right side cone adjustment before installing the
gear assembly back in the hub shell.

http://www.sturmey-archerheritage.co...s/view-837.pdf

Issues... Divebomber Unicycling 54 January 10th 08 02:56 PM
Issues... Unibugg Unicycling 0 January 2nd 08 04:41 AM
Issues, What Issues? Tom Kunich Racing 13 December 17th 05 03:30 PM
Sachs Pentasport Garry Jones Techniques 1 November 15th 05 12:52 AM
back issues of `Ride' - Issues 14 and 17 David Pascoe Australia 2 November 14th 03 11:31 AM