Paging the FOAK

Old September 30th 08, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Paul Boyd[_4_]

Default Paging the FOAK

On 30/09/2008 06:36, Tosspot said,

And yes, I have mangled one, not the first either, so a packet of 1/2
dozen would keep me going into my dotage.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. They do bugger all except hold your
skewer central when putting the wheel in. Not the most difficult thing
to manage without a spring :-)

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/
Old September 30th 08, 07:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_2_]

Paul Boyd wrote:
On 30/09/2008 06:36, Tosspot said,

And yes, I have mangled one, not the first either, so a packet of 1/2
dozen would keep me going into my dotage.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. They do bugger all except hold your
skewer central when putting the wheel in. Not the most difficult thing
to manage without a spring :-)

It offends the perfectionist in me. Well, ok, more like they were there
when I started and I have nightmares about spontaneous explosions of
bike parts due to lack of said 'volute springs'.
Old September 30th 08, 08:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Rocket J Squirrel

On 9/30/2008 10:42 AM Paul Boyd wrote:

On 30/09/2008 06:36, Tosspot said,

And yes, I have mangled one, not the first either, so a packet of 1/2
dozen would keep me going into my dotage.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. They do bugger all except hold your
skewer central when putting the wheel in. Not the most difficult thing
to manage without a spring :-)

You apparently haven't seen me working on my bikes . . . .

--
Mike "Rocket J Squirrel"
Bend, Oregon
Old October 1st 08, 01:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
A Muzi

Tosspot wrote:
Those little spirally spring spacer thingies that do some voodo stuff
for QR skewers. What the **** are they called before I break Google
completely with spazzed out search arguments?

And yes, I have mangled one, not the first either, so a packet of 1/2
dozen would keep me going into my dotage.

vestigial - don't cry and toss the other spring.

In team racing, those conical or volute springs keep the skewer centered
so the support tech can throw a wheel in without looking, saving a tenth
of a second on a wheel change. Nothing more.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Old October 1st 08, 01:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Sep 30, 6:22*pm, A Muzi wrote:
Tosspot wrote:
Those little spirally spring spacer thingies that do some voodo stuff
for QR skewers. *What the **** are they called before I break Google
completely with spazzed out search arguments?

And yes, I have mangled one, not the first either, so a packet of 1/2
dozen would keep me going into my dotage.

vestigial - don't cry and toss the other spring.

In team racing, those conical or volute springs keep the skewer centered
so the support tech can throw a wheel in without looking, saving a tenth
of a second on a wheel change. Nothing more.
--
Andrew Muzi
* www.yellowjersey.org/
* Open every day since 1 April, 1971
** Posted fromhttp://www.teranews.com**

And don't ya love it when a customer comes in, shortly after changing
their own cogset(tighten it for them!!), and see that their wheel is
no longer centered in the frame..wha happened??

QR spring on backwards...
Old October 1st 08, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Rob Morley

On Wed, 1 Oct 2008 05:47:25 -0700 (PDT)
Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

And don't ya love it when a customer comes in, shortly after changing
their own cogset(tighten it for them!!),

Why would they need someone to tighten it for them if they managed to
remove it themselves?

Old October 1st 08, 08:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech
Derk

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

QR spring on backwards...

I just saw that on a guy's C40! :-)

Derk

Paging Dr. Fogel Michael Baldwin Techniques 9 August 21st 08 09:06 PM
Paging Sheldon... JeffWills Techniques 14 September 17th 06 01:47 PM
FOAK: Advice on ow! elyob UK 37 August 2nd 06 11:57 AM
Paging Ryan Robert Chung Racing 2 June 30th 06 07:37 AM
Paging JD! Carla A-G Mountain Biking 9 July 6th 05 03:34 PM