[Kinda Off-Topic] What gets your healthier? Cycling or Running?

Old February 28th 07, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default [Kinda Off-Topic] What gets your healthier? Cycling or Running?

Same as the topic really. I prefer cycling to running anyhoo.

Thanks.

Old February 28th 07, 04:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
Same as the topic really. I prefer cycling to running anyhoo.

I think it depends what you mean by healthier. People always say cycling is
excellent for burning calories but at the local gym the readouts on the
machines say that cycling burns the least calories per hour! (Rowing ~ 700
cal/hr, running ~ 800 cal/hr?, cycling ~ 300 cal/hr).

--
peter

Cheap train tickets database
http://www.petereverett.co.uk/tickets/

Email sent to this address is generally deleted upon arrival
Visit website if you want to contact me

Old February 28th 07, 04:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

I think it depends what you mean by healthier. People always say
cycling is excellent for burning calories but at the local gym the
readouts on the machines say that cycling burns the least calories per
hour! (Rowing ~ 700 cal/hr, running ~ 800 cal/hr?, cycling ~ 300
cal/hr).

Tho you can cycle for longer than you can run. As for burning the most
calories, it's gotta be setting yourself on fire.

Old February 28th 07, 04:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
bugbear

naked_draughtsman wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Same as the topic really. I prefer cycling to running anyhoo.

I think it depends what you mean by healthier. People always say cycling is
excellent for burning calories but at the local gym the readouts on the
machines say that cycling burns the least calories per hour! (Rowing ~ 700
cal/hr, running ~ 800 cal/hr?, cycling ~ 300 cal/hr).

I prefer cycling because it's a form of exercise
that's a form of transport.

Pretty unique in that regard.

Pretty difficult to swim to the shops,
and I've never seen a pair of trainers
categorised as "commuting"

BugBear
Old February 28th 07, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dennis Davis

In the referenced article, bugbear writes:
naked_draughtsman wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
Same as the topic really. I prefer cycling to running anyhoo.

I think it depends what you mean by healthier. People always say
cycling is excellent for burning calories but at the local gym
the readouts on the machines say that cycling burns the least
calories per hour! (Rowing ~ 700 cal/hr, running ~ 800 cal/hr?,
cycling ~ 300 cal/hr).

I prefer cycling because it's a form of exercise
that's a form of transport.

Pretty unique in that regard.

Quite. To quote one of the contributers to this forum:

Cycling is unique in the way it can incidentally provide good
exercise while being justified by its quotidian utility.
-- Chris Malcolm
--
Dennis Davis, BUCS, University of Bath, Bath, BA2 7AY, UK

Old February 28th 07, 05:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
iarocu

Default What gets your healthier? Cycling or Running?

I prefer cycling because it's a form of exercise
that's a form of transport.

Pretty unique in that regard.

Depends on the distance to work I suppose. I'm currently a 5 miles
each way commute. Too short for a good workout on a bike but a good
distance to run (now and again not every day). The bike is certainly
far more flexible with regard to what distances are feasible to
commute.
Iain

Old February 28th 07, 06:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nick Kew

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 15:58:18 +0000
bugbear wrote:

I prefer cycling because it's a form of exercise
that's a form of transport.

Pretty unique in that regard.

Pretty difficult to swim to the shops,
and I've never seen a pair of trainers
categorised as "commuting"

I dunno. I've commuted on foot when living near to work.
And for a memorable five-week stint, by a bike/boat combination.

--
not me guv

We, the undersigned, call on the Prime Minister to ban Dihydrogen Monoxide
Old February 28th 07, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Thorpe

Dennis Davis wrote:
In the referenced article, bugbear writes:

naked_draughtsman wrote:

wrote in message
egroups.com...

Same as the topic really. I prefer cycling to running anyhoo.

I think it depends what you mean by healthier. People always say
cycling is excellent for burning calories but at the local gym
the readouts on the machines say that cycling burns the least
calories per hour! (Rowing ~ 700 cal/hr, running ~ 800 cal/hr?,
cycling ~ 300 cal/hr).

I prefer cycling because it's a form of exercise
that's a form of transport.

Pretty unique in that regard.

Quite. To quote one of the contributers to this forum:

Cycling is unique in the way it can incidentally provide good
exercise while being justified by its quotidian utility.
-- Chris Malcolm

And the pleasure,
The sensual thrill of speed, of being out in the weather, in the
countryside, with a well fitting, well adjusted machine..
When people offer you a lift out of pity they really have no idea of how
satisfying riding through rain or hail can be.
I love my bike, me.
Roger Thorpe