freewheel tool?

Old November 8th 05, 07:52 PM
ellis

Default freewheel tool?

"Lew" wrote in message
oups.com...
Ellis, I don't think you have to remove that lockring. Here's what
parktool says (same location) -

"There are some brands and models of thread-on freewheels that have use
a lockring to hold the cogs to the freewheel body. This lockring can
sometimes be removed, however, there is typically no need to do so.
Individual cogs of these freewheels are not typically available. The
lockring is used to assemble the freewheel unit, and it is not intended
for service. When the cogs wear out, the entire freewheel as a unit
must be replaced. In the freewheels below, notice the cog lockrings.
The left freewheel uses the FR-2, a double prong freewheel tool. The
right freewheel uses the FR-1, a splined tool."

Looks to me like the lockring stays on unless you want to disassemble
the freewheel body, but you don't have to do that in order to replace
spokes. Good luck.

Hey, thanks!

Old November 8th 05, 11:44 PM
Jasper Janssen

On 8 Nov 2005 10:11:26 -0800, "Lew" wrote:

Looks to me like the lockring stays on unless you want to disassemble
the freewheel body, but you don't have to do that in order to replace
spokes. Good luck.

Actually, the lockring keeps the cogs in place. If you want to disassemble
the freewheel body, the bit that's between the lockring and the freewheel
remover splines has indents for a pin wrench, and unscrewing that'd be the
way to go.

But you really just don't want to do that. Ever. Shimano freewheels are
damn close to free, and definitely not worth the time to clean and lube,
at even a fairly modest hourly rate.

Jasper
Old November 9th 05, 03:35 AM
David L. Johnson

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 16:37:47 +0000, ellis wrote:

Thanks. I guess my real question is what tool do I need to remove the
lockring first?

No. The whole freewheel comes off as a unit, but it takes a lot of force
to get it off the hub.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all
_`\(,_ | mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so
(_)/ (_) | that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am
nothing. [1 Corinth. 13:2]