Opinions on Crank Bros. Quattro pedals?

Old October 28th 05, 03:27 PM
tlarwa

Default Opinions on Crank Bros. Quattro pedals?

I'd like to hear the pros/cons from people who have ACTUALLY USED THEM! No
conjecture, unbiased opinions, educated guesses, etc...

I'm interested in ease of entry/exit, float, support, durability of pedal
and cleat, etc..

Thanks!

Old October 28th 05, 04:59 PM
Scott

The original versions had pretty bad bearings that wouldn't hold up
well to severe use/conditions. The Look versions were much better. I
don't know, but assume, that the newer models of the Crank Bros. pedals
have improved the bearings. I say that based on the fact that you see
so many of the newer versions, but almost never see the Look versions.

I have a pair of the Look 4x4s, and think they're the best thing since
sliced coke, er... canned bread, or whatever. Super easy engagement,
shed mud like it was water, and there's just enough wiggle in the
cleat/pedal connection to serve as 'float'.

The ONLY downside I've heard of, but haven't experienced myself, is
that if you strike the bottom of the pedal just right on a rock or
something hard, that the pedal will disengage, as the springs on the
bottom are attached to the springs on the top.

Old October 28th 05, 06:10 PM
Ivar Hesselager

Oh my, mr Tlarwa is not going to thank you for that. He doen't want to
hear about no Eggbeater. He wants real experiences with Quatros.
I like real Eggbeater better as well, cause you don't need any fancy
design platform under a stiff sole, but Mr. Tlarwa doesn't want to hear
about that either.
;-)
Ivar

--
Sendt med Operas banebrydende nyhedsgruppe-
og e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/m2/

Old October 28th 05, 06:54 PM
Scott

Considering that the essence of the Quattro IS the eggbeater, then I
think that tlarwa can draw his own conclusions based on my comments.

Old October 28th 05, 07:32 PM
tlarwa

You guys are tooooooo funny...

What I didn't want to hear are opinions with absolutely no basis in
experience ... something that seems to be given a lot in these threads. I
can draw my own conclusions based on marketing hype!

Scott, you are correct ... I am certainly capable of drawing my own
conclusions from your experience with egg-beaters. I realize they all share
the same basic mechanism.

Thanks!
oups.com...

Old October 29th 05, 01:04 AM
Dave

I like my Eggbeaters too...light, cool looking, easy entry and release.
If you have stiff-soled shoes that would be comfortable with the small
contact area, you might just want to save weight and money and get the
regular Eggbeaters rather than the Quattros.

Old October 29th 05, 11:12 AM
Luke

In article , tlarwa
wrote:

You guys are tooooooo funny...

What I didn't want to hear are opinions with absolutely no basis in
experience ... something that seems to be given a lot in these threads. I
can draw my own conclusions based on marketing hype!

Scott, you are correct ... I am certainly capable of drawing my own
conclusions from your experience with egg-beaters. I realize they all share
the same basic mechanism.

And it's the mechanism I'll comment on. I've several pairs of different
incarnations of egg beaters and ALL have suffered from this failing:
with use, the preload of the Beater's spring diminishes to the point
where it compromises cleat engagement. A new beater exhibits no play
between the two sets of wings; but that'll change with the amount of
miles logged. And once the force on the cleat slackens you've no
recourse to adjusting the spring tension. This is the Achilles heel of
the Crank Bros design.

Luke
Old October 29th 05, 06:11 PM
Robin Hubert

Ivar Hesselager wrote:
Oh my, mr Tlarwa is not going to thank you for that. He doen't want
to hear about no Eggbeater. He wants real experiences with Quatros.
I like real Eggbeater better as well, cause you don't need any fancy
design platform under a stiff sole, but Mr. Tlarwa doesn't want to hear
about that either.

Does that platform really support the sole? From what I've seen, the
shoes leave no marks on the platform. If that's the case, evidence
supports no shoe support for Quatros.

;-)
Ivar

Robin
Old October 29th 05, 06:14 PM
Robin Hubert

Luke wrote:
In article , tlarwa
wrote:

[...]

I agree with you, Luke. When looking for a new pedal design a few
year's back (tired of Frogs ... thought there must be something better),
I bought Egg Beaters and, while liking them ok, I was frustrated by the
ease of disengagement and lack of tension adjustment. I also wasn't
fond of the bushing-for-an-inner bearing design vs real ball bearings.

I ended up going with Shimano SPD (959's).

Robin
Old October 29th 05, 06:44 PM
Luke

In article et, Robin
Hubert wrote:

[...]

Back to SPDs for me also. Once my last pair of Beaters wears out,
that's it. It's a shame though, the Beaters were *almost* the perfect
pedals for me: stainless steel construction throughout, replaceable
bearings, lightweight, and, though it's a matter of taste, sharp looks
too. But all that is negated by absence of tension adjustment.

Luke