OMG! I have got to get this!

Old November 1st 05, 12:22 PM
Jasper Janssen

Default OMG! I have got to get this! (warning - becomes rant on drunk drivers)

On Mon, 31 Oct 2005 18:51:14 -0800, "CEarly" wrote:

Well, this IS Washington State. Gotta have this kind of a bull**** law.
Can't expect people to actually be responsible for their own behavior, you
know. Hell, look at our DUI laws - they're totally ineffective. Drunks
are still all over the roads. Mandatory vehicular confiscation, I say;
regardless of the ownership of the vehicle. The feds use this approach with
drug crimes, and they can take anything vaguely associated with the criminal
activity, but state legislators don't have the balls to give us similar laws
to stop the drunken carnage. How many lives have to be wasted by drunk
assholes before we demand effective measures?

Vehicular confiscation is a bit of a bad fining technique, though. It can
effectively range from a $500 fine (or $10, if it's a depreciated
Roadmaster Fury) all the way to a million bucks. Rental companies would go
out of business.

Jasper
Old November 1st 05, 12:28 PM

Default OMG! I have got to get this!

Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:

Beer contains alcohol which is a diuretic. Tea also
contains a diuretic. Diuretics are the opposite of
anti-diuretics. The alcohol in your beer makes you produce
lots of urine and this results in your blood becoming very
concentrated. You are likely to end up with a "hangover"
if you drink too much alcohol.

I swedish tennis tennis player, who liked to dring vodka in parties and
had to wake up early to play, taught me a trick. for every drink that
you have at a party, drink a glass of water. You will not wake up with
a hangover if you do this. It works very well. The other advantage is
that you will get so full that you'll drink less. the disadvantage is
that during the ride, the next morning you'll have to stop and pee when
the pace starts picking up.

Andres

Old November 2nd 05, 09:26 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 05:10:01 GMT, Michael Press wrote:

Read the quotes that I posted in this thread. Then you
will not say `it forces to pass water through your
kidneys' a statement so at variance with the state of
affairs as to be false and misleading. Ethanol does not
force water out of the body; it interferes with
reabsorbtion of water that is already out of the blood
stream.

Pedantry, frankly. Knowing the inner workings of the renal system really
isn't necessary to understand what you need to understand about your body,
namely: Alcohol makes you pee.

Jasper
Old November 3rd 05, 08:04 PM
Michael Press

In article ,
Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 05:10:01 GMT, Michael Press wrote:

Read the quotes that I posted in this thread. Then you
will not say `it forces to pass water through your
kidneys' a statement so at variance with the state of
affairs as to be false and misleading. Ethanol does not
force water out of the body; it interferes with
reabsorbtion of water that is already out of the blood
stream.

Pedantry, frankly. Knowing the inner workings of the renal system really
isn't necessary to understand what you need to understand about your body,
namely: Alcohol makes you pee.

I replied to a post that made a false statement about
renal function. Rather than make a false statement he
could have said something like what you said. Review what
was said.

As for "Alcohol makes you pee". It is true. What is truer
is that a sufficient concentration of ethanol in the blood
stream will induce acute dehydration, rendering the person
incapable of moderate physical exertion until rehydrated.

I enjoy knowing about the physiological basis for life.
Helps me maintain health.

--
Michael Press
The rest of the world.
Old November 4th 05, 01:36 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Thu, 03 Nov 2005 20:04:32 GMT, Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
Jasper Janssen wrote:

Pedantry, frankly. Knowing the inner workings of the renal system really
isn't necessary to understand what you need to understand about your body,
namely: Alcohol makes you pee.

I replied to a post that made a false statement about
renal function. Rather than make a false statement he
could have said something like what you said. Review what
was said.

I still call pedantry -- although it is, of course, true.

As for "Alcohol makes you pee". It is true. What is truer
is that a sufficient concentration of ethanol in the blood
stream will induce acute dehydration, rendering the person
incapable of moderate physical exertion until rehydrated.

I enjoy knowing about the physiological basis for life.
Helps me maintain health.

Wasn't the ADH cycle a regulatory mechanism for somewhere between 4 in 5
an 99 in 100 re-absorption? Whichever it was exactly, the actual range of
ratios is huge -- which means that suppressing ADH gets you an *awful* lot
of (net) extra urine production.

Jasper
Old November 7th 05, 11:27 PM
Michael Press

Jasper Janssen wrote:

Pedantry, frankly. Knowing the inner workings of the renal system really
isn't necessary to understand what you need to understand about your body,
namely: Alcohol makes you pee.

I replied to a post that made a false statement about
renal function. Rather than make a false statement he
could have said something like what you said. Review what
was said.

I still call pedantry -- although it is, of course, true.

You call it pedantry, but is it?

pedant n. 1. A person who lays unnecessary stress on minor
or trivial point of learning, displaying a scholarship
lacking in judgement or sense of proportion. 2. a
narrow-minded teascher who insists on exact adherence to a
set of arbitrary rules.

I corrected a false statement. That is all. Now you insist
upon tagging me as a pedant. Please rethink this matter.

Wasn't the ADH cycle a regulatory mechanism for somewhere between 4 in 5
an 99 in 100 re-absorption?

I do not know; a large range indeed.

Old November 8th 05, 01:28 AM
Jasper Janssen

On Mon, 07 Nov 2005 23:27:17 GMT, Michael Press wrote:
In article ,
Jasper Janssen wrote:

I still call pedantry -- although it is, of course, true.

You call it pedantry, but is it?

Well, frankly, yes.

pedant n. 1. A person who lays unnecessary stress on minor
or trivial point of learning, displaying a scholarship
lacking in judgement or sense of proportion. 2. a
narrow-minded teascher who insists on exact adherence to a
set of arbitrary rules.

The point you corrected was, IMHO, minor or trivial and the stress you
placed on it was unnecessary.

I corrected a false statement. That is all. Now you insist
upon tagging me as a pedant. Please rethink this matter.

Why don't we just move on? People are pedantic at times. It happens to
everybody on usenet. Certainly to me.

Jasper