ski helmet for winter commute

Old November 6th 05, 04:31 AM
yk

Default ski helmet for winter commute

I am thinking of getting a ski helmet.
I used ski gloves, but never tried helmet and gogles.
I know it doesn't look cool, but at least it should keep my ears warm.
Any comments?

Old November 6th 05, 05:00 AM
Bill Sornson

yk wrote:
I am thinking of getting a ski helmet.
I used ski gloves, but never tried helmet and gogles.
I know it doesn't look cool, but at least it should keep my ears warm.
Any comments?

You were picked on in grade school, right?

:-P

Old November 6th 05, 06:51 AM
mark

"yk" wrote ...
I am thinking of getting a ski helmet.
I used ski gloves, but never tried helmet and gogles.
I know it doesn't look cool, but at least it should keep my ears warm.
Any comments?

Too many ski helmets block sounds from reaching your ears. Giro makes a
snowboard helmet that doesn't cover the ears, has detachable ear muffs and
removable vent plugs, and has a groove to keep the goggles strap in place. I
used one of these for a winter cycle helmet fora few years, then I switched
to a Bell Metro with a rain cover, removable ear muffs and removable vent
plugs. I use the rain cover/ear muffs/vent plugs in winter and take them off
for the summer. The Bell Metro also has a clip to hold a blinkie light,
which I really like.
--
mark

Old November 6th 05, 09:24 AM
gentlegreen

"mark" wrote in message
ink.net...
"yk" wrote ...
I am thinking of getting a ski helmet.
I used ski gloves, but never tried helmet and gogles.
I know it doesn't look cool, but at least it should keep my ears warm.
Any comments?

Too many ski helmets block sounds from reaching your ears. Giro makes a
snowboard helmet that doesn't cover the ears, has detachable ear muffs

http://www.snowandrock.com/shop/acti...ucts/EBHEJ.htm

And built in headphones :-)

It's about time I upgraded my rubbish cycle helmet - probably need something
that breathes better for the summer

I'd guess skateboard helmets would be more cost-effective - if only I could
find one to fit my vast head :-(

Old November 6th 05, 09:54 AM
LF

My head and ears stay warm on cold New England days with a wool beanie
under a bike helmet. Of course, if you like, you can always still look
dorky with the beanie helmet combo. Try one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/dpq72 -- you won't find a better wool beanie for
biking.
For me, three problems to solve for winter commuting we cold feet,
cold hands, and ice building up inside my jacket. There are many
different solutions for these problems. I settled on: 1. waterproof
socks for an outer layer, with wool socks and shimano sandals (or
sometimes winter boots with flat pedals), 2. gortex mittens over wool
or polar fleece gloves, 3. a well vented Burley jacket over a wool
sweater or two.
A friend commutes in a hockey helmet with a clear visor. He likes the
wind screen feature. "Dorkiness is in the eyes of the beholder"
Larry

Old November 6th 05, 01:32 PM
richard

The weight of the thing is likely to get to you & your neck. In
precipitation, I've thought of using ski goggles, but I generally just
avoid riding then. (When I can't avoid it, my goggles are elsewhere).
Thing is, with the body heat generated by cycling, if you're at a stop
light for more than a couple of seconds, you're likely to fog. (Even my
Smith goggles with the geeky vent fan will fog in the effort of digging
myself out of the snow, collecting my skis, and trying to clip back into
them on a steep slope.)

There are helmet liners and other pieces of clothing which would keep
your ears warm. Closing the helmet vents is a big help. If the scalp
stays warm, the body won't cut as much blood flow to the ears, so they
stay warmer.

Old November 6th 05, 04:28 PM
C Wright

On 11/5/05 10:31 PM, in article
, "yk"
wrote:

I am thinking of getting a ski helmet.
I used ski gloves, but never tried helmet and gogles.
I know it doesn't look cool, but at least it should keep my ears warm.
Any comments?

How about something like this:
http://www.louisgarneau.com/usa/ifra...nt=Accessories
Then click on the helmet covers and hats link.
Check out the hat cover to cover your head and ears (despite its name as a
'hat' cover it is really a head cover that goes under your helmet). Then
for additional warmth add a helmet cover over the top of your helmet.
I am not showing this link to promote Louis Garneau, just as an example of
cycling specific alternatives that are available. Other manufacturers make
similar items.
FYI - I do have the "hat cover" and it works as advertised!
Chuck

Old November 6th 05, 04:34 PM
Jeff Starr

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 20:31:23 -0800, "yk" wrote:

I am thinking of getting a ski helmet.
I used ski gloves, but never tried helmet and gogles.
I know it doesn't look cool, but at least it should keep my ears warm.
Any comments?

Hi, as others mentioned, you might want to look at different solutions
for keeping your head and ears warm, while still using a lightweight
cycling helmet.

I have a number of things I use, depending upon the temps. Starting
with just keeping my ears warm, I use Campmor Earbags.
http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/st...rId=1250022 6
In the past Campmor had a less expensive version of the Earbag,
product # 87678

I then add a skull cap, then proceed to various thickness of
balaclava.

I wear the Earbags with all of these combinations. I also tried the
Earpops, but they are not as comfortable as the Earbags.
http://www.earpops.com/

Life is Good!
Jeff

Old November 6th 05, 04:41 PM

yk wrote:

I am thinking of getting a ski helmet.
I used ski gloves, but never tried helmet and gogles.
I know it doesn't look cool, but at least it should keep my ears warm.
Any comments?

Giro Fuse is a superb helmet for winter riding. As light as any bike
helmet, vents can be closed when it's nasty and opened to cool off,
detachable earflaps, and optional speakers.
Old November 7th 05, 02:43 AM
Werehatrack

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 20:31:23 -0800, "yk" wrote:

I am thinking of getting a ski helmet.
I used ski gloves, but never tried helmet and gogles.
I know it doesn't look cool, but at least it should keep my ears warm.
Any comments?

AAAAARRRRGGGHH! Helmet thread! [runs screaming into the night.]

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.