freewheel tool?

Old November 8th 05, 04:03 PM
ellis

Default freewheel tool?

I have an old 26" mtb rear wheel I need to remove the 7spd freewheel to
replace some broken spokes on the drive side. I have a chain whip, but
can't seem to find a tool on Park site
(http://www.parktool.com/products/category.asp?cat=4) for this
freewheel.
It has a lock ring with 45mm diameter and 8 grooves.
Maybe I'm not looking hard. The closest I can come up with is to use
the
chain whip + 2 prong spanner (the red one by Park Tools). Is this
right?
Here's a pic: http://69.203.132.106/sale/pix/7spd_fw.jpg

TIA, guys.

Old November 8th 05, 04:28 PM
m-gineering

ellis wrote:

I have an old 26" mtb rear wheel I need to remove the 7spd freewheel to
replace some broken spokes on the drive side. I have a chain whip, but
can't seem to find a tool on Park site
(http://www.parktool.com/products/category.asp?cat=4) for this
freewheel.
It has a lock ring with 45mm diameter and 8 grooves.
Maybe I'm not looking hard.

You don't want to remove the cogs, you want to remove the freewheelbody.

Look at the axle hole, there you will find a spline for the proper
Shimano freewheeltool. You won't need the chainwhip either: put the
tool in a vise, put the wheel on top and turn ccw. When the freewheel
finally budges shove the bench back in place

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
www.m-gineering.nl
Old November 8th 05, 04:31 PM
David L. Johnson

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 08:03:27 -0800, ellis wrote:

I have an old 26" mtb rear wheel I need to remove the 7spd freewheel to
replace some broken spokes on the drive side. I have a chain whip, but
can't seem to find a tool on Park site
(http://www.parktool.com/products/category.asp?cat=4) for this
freewheel.

Wouldn't the FR-1 be the right one? But, for less than the price of the
tool, you can have a mechanic at your LBS remove the freewheel. They may
also have a tool. Go to a shop with an old mechanic; young ones don't
have a clue what a freewheel is.

looking hard. The closest I can come up with is to use the chain whip +
2 prong spanner (the red one by Park Tools).

Use that as a last resort, to tear apart the freewheel. After removing
the body, liberating all the bearings, pawls, and springs, you can grab
the remainder in the jaws of a really-big monkey wrench and unscrew it.
Then you have to toss the freewheel.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is probably that television drama of high caliber and
_`\(,_ | produced by first-rate artists will materially raise the level
(_)/ (_) | of dramatic taste in the nation. -- David Sarnoff, 1939

Old November 8th 05, 04:37 PM
ellis

"David L. Johnson" wrote in message
news
[...]

Thanks. I guess my real question is what tool do I need to remove the
lockring first?

Old November 8th 05, 05:46 PM
Lew

ellis wrote:
I have an old 26" mtb rear wheel I need to remove the 7spd freewheel to
replace some broken spokes on the drive side. I have a chain whip, but
can't seem to find a tool on Park site
(http://www.parktool.com/products/category.asp?cat=4) for this
freewheel.
It has a lock ring with 45mm diameter and 8 grooves.

FreeWHEELS don't have a lockring, do they? (I'm not sure.) A cassette
on a freeHUB has a lockring. Ellis, please confirm, do you have a
freewheel or a freehub/cassette? Then maybe we can give you better
advice.

Be sure to look at all the info at
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=48

Lew

Old November 8th 05, 05:54 PM
ellis

"Lew" wrote in message
ups.com...

ellis wrote:
I have an old 26" mtb rear wheel I need to remove the 7spd freewheel to
replace some broken spokes on the drive side. I have a chain whip, but
can't seem to find a tool on Park site
(http://www.parktool.com/products/category.asp?cat=4) for this
freewheel.
It has a lock ring with 45mm diameter and 8 grooves.

FreeWHEELS don't have a lockring, do they? (I'm not sure.) A cassette
on a freeHUB has a lockring. Ellis, please confirm, do you have a
freewheel or a freehub/cassette? Then maybe we can give you better
advice.

Be sure to look at all the info at
http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=48

Lew

I have a Shimano freewheel. On the Park link you provided, mine looks like
the first freewheel example for FR-1 tool, " Shimano® and Sachs® screw-on
freewheels-FR-1 (not the cassette-type freehub) ". You can see in the
picture that it has a lockring, just like mine.

Now I know I need a FR-1 to remove the freewheel body, I just need to figure
out how to get the lockring off. Thanks.

Old November 8th 05, 06:11 PM
Lew

Ellis, I don't think you have to remove that lockring. Here's what
parktool says (same location) -

"There are some brands and models of thread-on freewheels that have use
a lockring to hold the cogs to the freewheel body. This lockring can
sometimes be removed, however, there is typically no need to do so.
Individual cogs of these freewheels are not typically available. The
lockring is used to assemble the freewheel unit, and it is not intended
for service. When the cogs wear out, the entire freewheel as a unit
must be replaced. In the freewheels below, notice the cog lockrings.
The left freewheel uses the FR-2, a double prong freewheel tool. The
right freewheel uses the FR-1, a splined tool."

Looks to me like the lockring stays on unless you want to disassemble
the freewheel body, but you don't have to do that in order to replace
spokes. Good luck.

Old November 8th 05, 07:08 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Tue, 08 Nov 2005 16:37:47 GMT, "ellis" wrote:
[...]

You don't. The lockrings on Shimano hyperglide freewheels, which is what
you have there, are meant to be installed once at manufacture and never
touched again (No spare cogs are available). The freewheel remover tool
will fit around the axle and the bits on it, and inside the non-turning
bit of the freewheel.

Jasper
Old November 8th 05, 07:11 PM
Jasper Janssen

On 8 Nov 2005 09:47:31 -0800, "Lew" wrote:

FreeWHEELS don't have a lockring, do they? (I'm not sure.)

Shimano Hyperglide ones do. It's basically a cassette (although with much
larger spline diameters) mounted on a freewheel body. Not all cassettes
use lockrings either, only modern hyperglide ones do. Before that,
(Uniglide) cassettes were retained using the smallest cog, that would
thread on, and there was no lockring.

Jasper