Bikes Running Red Lights

Old September 14th 03, 03:39 AM
Arpit

Default Bikes Running Red Lights

I wear my helmet every time I use my bike now seeing as just a few weeks
ago I gave the finger to some dickhead on a motorbike who tooted me one
afternoon when I ducked down to the shops (200m away) one afternoon.
Said dickhead was a copper who then sent me a ticket in the post.

Hehhe, how did he know who you were?

If someones hooting me, im in th habit of giving them a thumbs up
It works on so many levels

1. THey are a police guy-- i dunno wtf they'll think
2. they are honking angrily- they'll take it as me mocking them
3. they are honking in a friendly manner- they will take it like a
real thumbs up
I don't ride on the footpath as they are in worse shape than the roads.

In Thailand I drafted a taxi for a good 2 hours, that was great fun as
I'd pass him whenever he had to pick up a passenger then slip back in
after he passed me. All of the people in the back were laughing and
cheering me on. One of my fondest memories of my life. The taxi was like
a holden rodeo ute with a couple of bench seats in the back and a canopy.

I indicate to turn right if there are cars behind me then if they let me
in I also give a wave or a thumbs up.

But generally I just stay in my lane and try not to get killed. If I
happen to break the road rules so be it.

Old September 14th 03, 07:32 AM
Damian Harvey

Arpit wrote:

Hehhe, how did he know who you were?

If someones hooting me, im in th habit of giving them a thumbs up
It works on so many levels

1. THey are a police guy-- i dunno wtf they'll think
2. they are honking angrily- they'll take it as me mocking them
3. they are honking in a friendly manner- they will take it like a
real thumbs up

Well after I gave him the finger and mumbled "F*ck off" loud enough for
him to hear I turned around and saw who he was, I ambolled over
sheepishly and said "I guess I'm in trouble now" to which he replied in
the positive. Live and learn eh?
--
Cheers
Damian Harvey

This space reserved for standard disclaimer, witty quote,
plug for own business in caps and large, bad ASCII art.

Old September 14th 03, 09:37 AM
K.A. Moylan

In article ,
"Liz" wrote:

Does everyone always stop at pedestrian lights? NO! Well not car drivers
anyway.
I went for a walk the other day and came to a pedestrian only crossing on a
moderately busy road. Pushed the button, waited for the little green man to
appear, checked to see that the approaching car really was stopping, then
started to cross. Then another car came up from behind, beeped its horn,
swerved past the stopped car and continued full speed through the
intersection. Gave me quite a fright.

I used to regularly use one traffic-light controlled pedestrian crossing
where drivers often went through the red light.
One went through while I was still on the roadway (& the little man was
definitely green) so I turned around & kicked the car as it passed me.
(I'd seen so many cars do this that I could tell who would stop & who
would not, so I wasn't surprised.)
Yes, the driver was very upset, but I never saw another car run that
pedestrian crossing again.

--
K.A. Moylan
Canberra, Australia

Old September 17th 03, 12:48 AM
Peter Cremasco

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 18:30:31 +1000, Andrew Swan
wrote:

Another thread talked about cops running red lights. This prompts me to
ask, do you run red lights:

(a) never

Never - ever. I can honestly say that I follow the road rules regardless
of whether I'm riding or driving.

---
Cheers

PeterC

[Rushing headlong: out of control - and there ain't no stopping]
[and there's nothing you can do about it at all]

Old September 17th 03, 02:45 AM
John Doe

: I get off the bike, walk to the footpath, press the ped light button,
: and then walk across when the little green man appears. Then I get back
: on the road and ride.
:

I also. Unless I know its a semi sort of busy road and then I just be
patient till a car comes along. No biggie. I am not in that much of a
hurry.