Shoes, Pedals, and Pins

Old February 23rd 07, 03:19 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Hodad

Default Shoes, Pedals, and Pins

I've seen quite a bit of discussion about pedals and pins and flesh
wounds. But I'm wondering why the pins need to go in the pedals (and
your shins). Wouldn't it be better to if the pedal had a less
'pointy' surface and the pins (or cleats, or whatever) were on the
shoes? Has anyone tried anything like this? Just wondering.
-- Hodad

Old February 23rd 07, 03:34 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tunkie

well the pins in your shoes would have to fit into spots on the pedal
correctly or it would be weird.

--
tunkie

http://youtube.com/profile?user=tunkie1993

http://www.misterpoll.com/568933725.html
tunkie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/13936

Old February 23rd 07, 03:38 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Hmmm, not if the pedal surface was semi-soft, so the cleats could "sink"
into them, but you'd need to be able to get your shoes off the pedals
at a moments notice, or risk injury.

--
MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b

Old February 23rd 07, 03:40 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tunkie

Yeah it be way too complicated and what if you wanted to walk youd have
to remove thepins or theyd wear down.

Old February 23rd 07, 04:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mornish

tunkie wrote:
Yeah it be way too complicated and what if you wanted to walk youd have
to remove thepins or theyd wear down.

yeah.

it would suck to be grinding a rail or something and fall really fast
and not be able to run.

--
mornish

aim:kiloornish
email: mornish AT gmail DOT com

Evan wrote:
Buy my wheel damnit

Old February 23rd 07, 05:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Or you could use less-spikey pedals and wear turf shoes or similar. That
worked great for me for many years. I went to pins after I realized I
wasn't nailing my shins and calves much anymore.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view

Old February 23rd 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
madmattunipro

Leg Armour.

--
madmattunipro

Unicycle For Christ

www.bedfordunicycles.ca

http://www.norco.com
madmattunipro's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10763

Old February 23rd 07, 05:57 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

I second the leg Armour but before I got that I was using "turf shoes"
of sorts they were rubbery spikes on the bottom and I could easily
adjust my feet and/or pull them off the pedals at a moments notice.
then I got the leg Armour and use my normal shoes (which have little to
no grip on my worn down plastic pedals in the rain).

--
Ducttape

*Coker Fund:*$683.31
*Freeride Seat with shipping will cost: *$64.84
*GB4 Handle with shipping will cost:* $64.95
*______________________________________
**Total cost for stuff: *$814.15* Current Progress *697.00*/*814.15''
(http://www.zazzle.com/Ducttapesunicycle)
Ducttape's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12006

Old February 23rd 07, 06:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
madmattunipro

Worn down plastic pedals suck. Especially in rain, snow, or any other
type of moisture or precipitation. A good metal platform pedal with
pins gives the best grip. I combine these with my light hiking boots so
I have good support and protection as well as a good feel on the pedal.

Old February 23rd 07, 06:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Ducttape

madmattunipro wrote:
Worn down plastic pedals suck. Especially in rain, snow, or any other
type of moisture or precipitation. A good metal platform pedal with
pins gives the best grip. I combine these with my light hiking boots so
I have good support and protection as well as a good feel on the pedal.

I was going to get new pedals when I took my uni to get the wheel trued
at the LBS but forgot that I only had enought to pay for the wheel
being trued so I'm still stuck with worn down plastic pedals....