Children should wear bicycle helmets.

Old December 2nd 04, 09:39 AM
Tony Raven

David Martin wrote:
On 1/12/04 9:44 pm, in article , "Tony Raven"
wrote:

Religion is based on the belief that the Universe is governed by supreme
being(s). Science is based on the belief it is governed by mathematics.

Science is surely based on the belief that the functioning of the observable
world can be predicted by mathematics. Mathematics does not exist in a
physical sense but is none the less very real.

There is absolutely no reason other than experience and faith, to
beleive that mathematics, a man made construct, should describe how the
Universe works and predict its behaviour. We even send out "missionary"
spaceships with mathematical symbols on as "the one great truth" that
any extraterrestial intelligence finding it will understand. Faith and
experience of that faith is what many say justifies their religious beliefs

Tony
Old December 2nd 04, 10:02 AM
Richard

Tony Raven wrote:
David Martin wrote:

There is absolutely no reason other than experience and faith, to
beleive that mathematics, a man made construct, should describe how the
Universe works and predict its behaviour.

Mathematics isn't a man-made construct, though; it exists in the absence
of man. OK, so we use human-derived words for all its aspects.

R.
Old December 2nd 04, 11:08 AM
Mark Thompson

However, science can be, and is, tested by the layman while
religion fundamentally is not. Herein lieth the difference.

Erm, quantum physics?

Most religions can be tested and proven/disproven quite easily by followers
of that religion, whereas most of science seems beyond the layman (well,
I've never got my head around much of normal physics, let alone quantum).

Of course telling the world that you have proven that Buddism or whatever
is right might be dificult if you came back as a fruit fly or something.
Ho hum.
Old December 2nd 04, 11:51 AM
Mark Thompson

Testing requires a procedure similar to the following.

Create model.
Use model to predict result.
Perform real-world experiments.
Compare.

I was in all seriousness suggesting that a Christian, say, could test
Christianity by dying and seeing what happened next.

As in, proof by death. Not really a good basis for analysis now is it?

I certainly wouldn't bet my life on it ;-)
Old December 2nd 04, 12:17 PM
James Annan

Tony Raven wrote:

Religion is based on the belief that the Universe is governed by supreme
being(s). Science is based on the belief it is governed by mathematics.

A critical distinction being the falsifiability of the latter (and
conversely, its ability to make useful predictions).

James
by treading on the toes of giants.
Old December 2nd 04, 01:30 PM
Tony Raven

Richard wrote:

Mathematics isn't a man-made construct, though; it exists in the absence
of man.

That Sir, is a statement of faith

Tony
Old December 2nd 04, 01:44 PM
Tony Raven

Jon Senior wrote:

Testing requires a procedure similar to the following.

Create model.
Use model to predict result.
Perform real-world experiments.
Compare.

All of which is the non-understood process of sensate cortical
interpretation of a set of electrical signals. Let alone all the
Descartian philosphy, conditions such as synesthesia and anosognosia
question what observing the real world really means.

Tony