Children should wear bicycle helmets.

Old December 14th 04, 10:37 AM
JLB

Tony Raven wrote:
Sniper8052(L96A1) wrote:

A strange occurence but I can agree with both sides of this. Jon's
assertion, I think, is that the giving of aid under the title of
Christian Aid, is out dated in this period and by using the prefix
'Christian' carries with it overtones of a religious message more
appropriate to the 19th century.

My Chambers dictionary, in addition to the religious meanings of
Christian has another one which I think is perhaps more relevant to your
experience and more in line with how I had always viewed it:

"Chris·tian: a decent, respectable, kindly, charitably minded person: a
human being."

My Oxford dictionary from 1951 says something very similar so its not a
modern usage either.

To balance that, here is a long (but I thought fascinating) book review
about the other end of the spectrum of Christianity, the Crusades:

http://www.newyorker.com/critics/boo...1213crbo_books

--
Joe * If I cannot be free I'll be cheap
Old December 14th 04, 09:55 PM
Jon Senior

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
Who are you suggesting gives money to Christian Aid without being
aware of the organisation's nature?

Christians quite possibly. Plus anyone who has had an envelope pushed
through their door and knows that Bob from two doors down is going to be
collecting and it'd feel wrong to make him walk all that way for nothing.

I was suggesting that a less 'religious' name might encourage more
people to find out what they did.

Jon
Old December 14th 04, 10:12 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 21:55:26 +0000, Jon Senior
jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote in message
:

Who are you suggesting gives money to Christian Aid without being
aware of the organisation's nature?

Christians quite possibly.

Unlikely. Certainly I am aware of what they do.

Plus anyone who has had an envelope pushed
through their door and knows that Bob from two doors down is going to be
collecting and it'd feel wrong to make him walk all that way for nothing.

How is that different from buying a copy of the Watchtower in the pub
on a Friday?

I was suggesting that a less 'religious' name might encourage more
people to find out what they did.

I think a less religious name would open them to up to charges of
hiding their true nature.

Guy
--
"then came ye chavves, theyre cartes girded wyth candels
blue, and theyre beastes wyth straynge horn-lyke thyngs
Old December 14th 04, 11:55 PM
Jon Senior

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
Unlikely. Certainly I am aware of what they do.

And you are an example of _all_ Christians?

How is that different from buying a copy of the Watchtower in the pub
on a Friday?

They actually sell the Watchtower? I thought they just gave it to all
and sundry. The only copy I've ever seen was given to me on the doorstep
in order that I could "Understand".

I think a less religious name would open them to up to charges of
hiding their true nature.

But as David pointed out. Their true nature is to provide aid to those
that need it regardless of religion. I would suggest that Christian Aid
currently hides their true nature behind an image of religious intent. :-)

Jon
Old December 15th 04, 11:58 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 23:55:09 +0000, Jon Senior
jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk wrote:

I think a less religious name would open them to up to charges of
hiding their true nature.

But as David pointed out. Their true nature is to provide aid to those
that need it regardless of religion. I would suggest that Christian Aid
currently hides their true nature behind an image of religious intent. :-)

Ah, so the Freemasons' Charitable Trust should be renamed the
Liddites' Charitable Trust, to avoid ambiguity, then ;-)

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

88% of helmet statistics are made up, 65% of them at CHS, Puget Sound
Old December 15th 04, 11:56 PM
Jon Senior

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
Ah, so the Freemasons' Charitable Trust should be renamed the
Liddites' Charitable Trust, to avoid ambiguity, then ;-)

How dare you drag this back onto the original topic! ;-)

The question is... would you have considered donating to the Freemason's
even if didn't know the link to Be****!

Jon