Children should wear bicycle helmets.

Old December 2nd 04, 01:47 PM
Peter Clinch

Tony Raven wrote:
Richard wrote:

Mathematics isn't a man-made construct, though; it exists in the
absence of man.

That Sir, is a statement of faith

Though you said "Science is based on the belief it [the Universe] is
governed by mathematics". So do you think that the Universe would
function differently without Man in it. *That* would be a statement of
faith, somewhat necessarily...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch Medical Physics IT Officer
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK

Old December 2nd 04, 01:56 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On 2 Dec 2004 11:51:25 GMT, Mark Thompson
wrote in message
:

I was in all seriousness suggesting that a Christian, say, could test
Christianity by dying and seeing what happened next.

Speaking for myself, I am a believer because God told me to be, a bit
like the Lottery advert - the metaphorical pointing finger and "it's
you!". Under the circumstances I had no real choice in the matter.
Your God May Vary.

Before that I was absolutely not a believer, although I had some
sympathy with Pascal's wager.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old December 2nd 04, 01:57 PM
Tony Raven

Peter Clinch wrote:
Tony Raven wrote:

Richard wrote:

Mathematics isn't a man-made construct, though; it exists in the
absence of man.

That Sir, is a statement of faith

Though you said "Science is based on the belief it [the Universe] is
governed by mathematics". So do you think that the Universe would
function differently without Man in it. *That* would be a statement of
faith, somewhat necessarily...

If a tree falls in a forest and there is no-one there to hear it, does
it still make a sound?

Tony ;-)
Old December 2nd 04, 02:12 PM
Peter Clinch

Tony Raven wrote:

If a tree falls in a forest and there is no-one there to hear it, does
it still make a sound?

I think it's a Far Side one... "If a tree falls in a forest and crushes
a mime artist, does anybody care?" ;-)

Pete.

Old December 2nd 04, 03:01 PM
Richard

Tony Raven wrote:
Richard wrote:
Mathematics isn't a man-made construct, though; it exists in the
absence of man.

That Sir, is a statement of faith

I offer as counterevidence the leaves of certain wild plants whose
anchor points (I'm not a botanist, OK? :-) spiral around the stem in the
Fibonacci sequence.

Ahah, a brief google comes up with:
http://www.maa.org/devlin/devlin_3_99.html

R.
Old December 2nd 04, 03:03 PM
Dave Larrington

Jon Senior wrote:

And the sound of one hand clapping is:

Jon

Dunno about that, but a Wiser Man Than I once wrote that Sigue Sigue Sputnik
were the sound of one buttock farting.

World Domination?
Just find a world that's into that kind of thing, then chain to the
floor and walk up and down on it in high heels. (Mr. Sunshine)

Old December 2nd 04, 05:47 PM
Jeremy Parker

"David Hansen" wrote

[snip]

My point is that the scientific part of society is not quite as it
portrays itself. There is a hierarchy and those at the top of it
have their ideas listened to more than those at the bottom.

[snip]

It's the same on this newsgroup, actually.

Humans are members of a species that likes to group itself into
hierarchies.

Now, I wonder what the origin of the word hierarchy is.

Jeremy Parker