distracting light

Old June 7th 09, 03:34 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

Default distracting light

F Murtz wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

F Murtz wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Today I was distracted by something That could cause an accident.
An extremely bright light (bluish tint) blinking on the front of a
bicycle.This headlight was bright enough to be very distracting during
the day.It kept me distracted for a few hundred yards till I found it
was a bicycle.It is all very well for riders to try and be visible but
not to be shining bright blinking distracting lights in road users faces.
I am cycling about 150km a week and see many others out on bikes but I
never see a distracting bright cycling light in daylight hours.
I don't ride at night, where they say helmet lights of other cyclists
are a nuisance when they look your way.
So never use helmet lights and only use handlebar mounted lighting. I
used to have a battery light and and a generator light for night riding
20 years ago, but how the LED lights are brighter and you don't need the
generator. I was surprised how many cyclists rode at night without any
lights and in dark clothing.

I find B-double semi trailers and large busses travelling nearby to be
quite disconcerting, because they are distractions you can't ignore.

Cyclists are always the losers in road accidents and so some will try to
light themselves up like a christams tree in order to wake up the many
inconsiderate dopey motorists and other cyclists who would otherwise not
see them.

There are a thousand things which could distract us but you should not
be a road user if you become mesmerized by some distraction and then
ignore what you need to focus on to survive.

It would be your fault you have the accident, not the cyclist's fault
for having a flashing front light. You have your rights, but you have
your duty of care as well.

Patrick Turner.
This thing was as bright as a headlight but concentrated and blinking at
the same time.
If cars did the same thing I am sure they would be stopped.

There is probably a law which prevents constantly flashing headlights.

But I have never seen a bike light as strong as a typical 100W car
headlight.

Patrick Turner.

Not that it has much to do with the discussion but headlights are not
typically 100 watts they are typically 50/60 watts

Then let me re-compose to validate my point again :-

But I have never seen a bike light as strong as a typical 50W to 100W
car
headlight.

Most certainly not in daylight hours.

If you are a competent road user who shares the roads with others you
have to become accustomed to all sorts of unpredictable road conditions
including seeing cyclists with their puny little flashing ****ing lights
at night or in daylight.

Were you to make a citizens arrest of any cyclist with infuriating
flashing light, perhaps you'd find the constabulary would not be happy
to see you with your arrested and restrained cyclist when they arrive,
or when you deliver the cyclist to the police station.

Were you to take a hammer to the offending light, perhaps you may find
yourself up against considerable resistance. Many cyclists are very fit
and agile and can be be entirely disagreeable, and quite feisty and
violent while defending their property, or while being told what to do
with their lighting arrangements.

Patrick Turner.
Old June 7th 09, 04:09 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

Kathy and Steve wrote:

I did a trip a couple of years ago in Central Qld and we started riding
4.30am each day to beat the heat. Our handlebar catseyes really werent much
good in as far as seeing anything much in front (in fact I feared hitting a
dead beast or a roo on the road as I would have been cactus!) The
interesting observation was that when a car was approaching us (remember
this is out west where no one drives under 120 at night!) they didnt slow to
my little catseye but when I put it on to the "flashing" immediately they
took more notice and slowed. The other lady I was riding with had no flasher
so if a car approached us she put me in front as we felt a hell of a lot
safer. I doubt if they slowed because I was blinding them - they were just
more aware of us. I for one am an advocate of being seen
Kathy

Congratulations Kathy. Anyone who cycles in central Qld at night and
lives to tell the tale deserves a medal.

I drive a car as well as ride, and I have no troubles with flashing
lights on bikes.
As I drive home at night after spending saturday evenings in the Pancake
Parlour playing chess, it is remarkable how often I see cyclists riding
along in the cycle lane with dark clothes, no reflectors, and no lights,
or if they do have one, its a feeble one worth $2.
I've always seen this for the last 30 years, and for well before the
cycle lanes were introduced in 2004. Some people are grave risk takers.
The people are usually asian students. Some have been working washing
dishes in restaurants.

And while many central Queenslanders drive at over 120kph, they are
often ****ed as well, or so tired from the boring roads and the work
they've done that day that they sometimes fall asleep at the wheel.

I don't know what would be worse, being subject to the risk of the
occasional vehicle passing at high speed at night out west or being
subject to many many cars passing close by in a city, but at lower
speed, probably more awake, and less ****ed.

But whatever your situation, having a flasher light is good sense to me.

I once road from King's Cross to Canberra starting at 1 am with 15
others, and I had a battery powered light and a generator powered light
so that with *two* independant lighting systems there was little risk
that if one light went out there'd be no disaster if I was apart from
other riders and going down a steep hill with no street lighting. There
was no way I would bother fitting any light which didn't light up enough
road in front so that I would not see a dead roo or wombat etc even if I
am travelling at 40kph. Cars would see me coming. But you still have to
assume they won't see you, and be prepared to evade them instantly if
they look like they might really hit you.
But the hit from behind is the far bigger worry than the head on because
you often don't know how they are aiming as you hear them approach, and
they are on the same side of the road to yourself. So the reflectors on
the back of your shoes and on your jersy or knicks and a flasher red
light is essential. The reflectors bounce up and down.

Such lights fitted properly will not be hazardous to passing or oncoming
motorists or other cyclists.

The LED lights are now far more efficient than the incandscent lamps I
used to run with a gene and a 6AH lead acid battery.
I know a guy who has done night laps in a mountain bike team race and I
helped him set up his lights. It was much easier than it use to be.

Patrick Turner.
Old June 8th 09, 03:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]

Patrick Turner wrote:

F Murtz wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
[...]

I hope I dont meet up with you as you seem to assume that car drivers
are all going to be as aggressive as you sound
Old June 8th 09, 07:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

F Murtz wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

F Murtz wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
[...]

You would be amoung the tiny minority of people to not be able to handle
cyclist flashing lights. Then you go on to say I assume all car drivers
are agressive.

You are quite wrong in your perceptions about how I think. Most car
drivers like myself are considerate and often give way where we may not
have to. But it only takes a minority of aggressive, inconsiderate and
cyclist hating motorists to make life on a bicycle a risky activity
fraught with having to deal with aggression, and bloody stressful at
times.

Indeed there is a competive streak in my mental make up. I spent 6 years
in cycling clubs where I raced each week. After about 200 races I found
I had just two tiny trophies plus a bike I won to show for all the hard
slog. I didn't mind being the gracious loser. This here forum is the
Internet, and you can expect me to debate issues once raised in the
public view of everyone else.

Unfortunately you seem to me to confuse being aggressive with being
assertive, a very common personal shortcoming amoung the general
population.

My clear down to earth reasoning and perceptions has seen me survive
about 200,000km on motorcycles, 400,000 km in motor vehicles and 120,000
km of bicycles.

I do have to sometimes show my displeasure when motorists misbehave and
threaten my life, like the other day when I was cut off by a taxi
driver. I chased him into where he picked up a passenger at a busy hotel
entrance and I gave him both barrels about what he'd ****in done wrong,
and told him how I felt. Needless to say he hates cyclists all the more,
and maybe I ruined his morning, but maybe he thinks twice about cutting
across a cycle lane. On a bike you must defend yourself.

When I see a motorist stop to let let me cross a road at a pedestrian
crossing I always manage a quick salute.

You might find that were you to come out on a ride with me that I am a
very reasonable person.

Patrick Turner.
Old June 8th 09, 07:30 AM posted to aus.bicycle
hemyd

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

F Murtz wrote:

[...]

I have an "el cheapo" but very bright 36 LED light on my bike, and I use it
even in daylight, especially on a dull day. Although most of the route to
work is on a bike lane on a major road, I pass many intersections where the
drivers waiting in the side streets "see you without seeing you" The light
gives them less excuse to say they didn't see me. If the distraction of my
light stops them from charging through the intersection, then that's a good
thing.

Henry Mydlarz

Old June 8th 09, 08:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]

Patrick Turner wrote:

F Murtz wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
[...]

You are the one that brought up reprisals for something that I would not
have thought of (smashing etc)

I have no problem with bicycles on suburban streets or fancy clothing I
have no problem being able to see unadorned unflashing bicycles
I do have a problem with one particular flashing light that was annoying.
I do have a problem with bicycles on highways not designed for them.
I do have a problem with the same bicycle in peak hour continually
passing and then obstructing me then falling behind and the cycle
starting over again causing danger as every one passes him again.
When I was younger I used to ride to the station every day for school.I
used to ride every where and had no trouble using suburban streets and
never using main roads except to cross. I do not understand the
compulsion to get to the nearest main road and stay on it as long as
possible unless it is to show off ones fancy clothes
I have a black motorcycle and dark clothing no lights in the day and I
have no problem with others not seeing me

Old June 8th 09, 09:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Keogh

F Murtz wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:

F Murtz wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
[...]

OK everybody, step back from the keyboard and take a deep breath.
Life is too short to spend it in inconsequential flame wars.
You should know better.
Old June 8th 09, 09:40 AM posted to aus.bicycle
TimC

On 2009-06-08, F Murtz (aka Bruce)
I have no problem with bicycles on suburban streets or fancy clothing I
have no problem being able to see unadorned unflashing bicycles
I do have a problem with one particular flashing light that was annoying.
I do have a problem with bicycles on highways not designed for them.

Would that be toll roads and freeways? All other roads appear
perfectly designed for them. My own shire's roads unfortunately
aren't designed for B doubles -- very unfortunate since they also shut
down the freight trains and so we do actually get hundreds of trucks
per hour come through on roads that clearly weren't designed for it.
They've only been talking about a town bypass for the past 30 years.
With luck, perhaps a cross country rail link will be set up before the
bypass gets more than half funded.

I do have a problem with the same bicycle in peak hour continually
passing and then obstructing me then falling behind and the cycle
starting over again causing danger as every one passes him again.

What? How does that work? If a cyclist passes you repeatedly,
doesn't that mean they're going on average the same speed as them? So
why not just stick behind them once they pass you the first time? You
will still find you'll be stuck behind the same car at the next set of
lights. And the next. And the next. The funny thing about traffic,
is it is other traffic holding you up. Not the occasional bike.
Bikes take up bugger all space. It is rather damned hard for us to
obstruct traffic if there's any real chance that motorists can
actually go any quicker. On my own quiet twisty country roads, there
is one section where it isn't safe to overtake me for about a
kilometer (doesn't stop a few city tourists trying though), and it's
not safe for me to pull over. So on the rare occasion where someone
does get stuck behind me then (once every couple of weeks), someone
has the potential to be stuck behind me for about a minute and a half.
Out of a half hour trip to town. Who cares?

What's the average speed of a car these days anyway? I think it was
about 20km/h, even including the small number of cars that actually
get out of the city.

When I was younger I used to ride to the station every day for school.I
used to ride every where and had no trouble using suburban streets and
never using main roads except to cross. I do not understand the
compulsion to get to the nearest main road and stay on it as long as
possible unless it is to show off ones fancy clothes

For me, it's because the main road is the most direct route to go
where I'm trying to go. Same reason you take that road. If you don't
like it, why don't you yourself take side streets?

I have a black motorcycle and dark clothing no lights in the day and I
have no problem with others not seeing me

Heh. Good on you. Someone told me that they could barely see my bike
(suzuki blue, with the lights on constantly) despite them knowing I
was there because they had pulled out of their driveway a few seconds
after I had pulled out of their driveway.

Patrick Turner wrote:
I do have to sometimes show my displeasure when motorists misbehave and
threaten my life, like the other day when I was cut off by a taxi
driver. I chased him into where he picked up a passenger at a busy hotel
entrance and I gave him both barrels about what he'd ****in done wrong,
and told him how I felt. Needless to say he hates cyclists all the more,
and maybe I ruined his morning, but maybe he thinks twice about cutting
across a cycle lane. On a bike you must defend yourself.

Heh. I had to use my airhorn on a cage full of teenagers today. They
still didn't acknowledge my existence (despite the airhorn being
pretty much aimed at the open window of the driver).

--
TimC
"COGITO, EGGO SUM." I think, therefore I am a waffle.
Old June 8th 09, 09:54 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Patrick Turner

F Murtz wrote:

Patrick Turner wrote:

F Murtz wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:
F Murtz wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:

snip,

Unfortunately you seem to me to confuse being aggressive with being
assertive, a very common personal shortcoming amoung the general
population.

You are the one that brought up reprisals for something that I would not
have thought of (smashing etc)

Some people would think of it, but I just get verbal with offenders
against my safety.

I have no problem with bicycles on suburban streets or fancy clothing I
have no problem being able to see unadorned unflashing bicycles
I do have a problem with one particular flashing light that was annoying.

Just one eh. Kinda trifling, no?

I do have a problem with bicycles on highways not designed for them.

But they have the rights by law to ride in public roads.

Ever since bicycles were invented there has been much argy bargy between
road users, with many claims made about tryna get rid of cyclists off
roads "not designed for them".

Here in the ACT, many busy multilane main roads have had bicycle lanes
installed to make cycling such roads less like a suicide derby. So many
roads can be retro fitted or re-designed specifically to take motorists
and cyclists so there is less likelyhood of an accident where the costs
can be millions in compensation. Its cheaper for a compassionate society
to install the cycle lanes. I know the difference between having or not
having cycle lanes; they went in here in 2004, and continue to be
expanded, mainly thanks to the presence of a large % of elected ACT
government politicians being Green Party members.

I've cycled in Sydney, and on many busy roads without bike lanes and I
raise my hat to the majority of the motorists who had to pass me.
To instal cycle lanes on many of these old busy roads barely wide enough
for the existing lanes of motor traffic does involve a huge expense of
moving kerbs and poles to make room, and so it hasn't happened much.
People still have the right to cycle such roads and others have the duty
of care to safely deal with presence of cyclists. They may not like it,
but that's the Law.

I do have a problem with the same bicycle in peak hour continually
passing and then obstructing me then falling behind and the cycle
starting over again causing danger as every one passes him again.

Too bad, you still have a duty of care.

I cannot for the life of me why you'd have a problem with passing
cyclists while you ride a motorcycle.
Your vehicle is a narrow width vehicle. I can understand the worries of
truckies and bus drivers, but not yours.

When I was younger I used to ride to the station every day for school.I
used to ride every where and had no trouble using suburban streets and
never using main roads except to cross. I do not understand the
compulsion to get to the nearest main road and stay on it as long as
possible unless it is to show off ones fancy clothes

The busiest roads are usually the best route A to B. And cyclists are
entitled by law to use these roads.

There are roads where cyclist are legally excluded, such as some toll
roads afaik.

Should you wish for change, then get elected to make change if noboby
else will. Meanwhile you cannot expect to control the use of the roads,
and you'll just have to accept the presence of cyclists, and even those
amoung them who are dick-heads.

I have a black motorcycle and dark clothing no lights in the day and I
have no problem with others not seeing me.

That's a moot point. I also rode a BMW and other bikes between 19 and 32
for many miles and was only hit once by a motorist. He didn't see me
coming as he pulled out from a street on my left across Parramatta Rd at
4:20pm. I somersalted off the Bultaco Metralla I was riding and landed
on my feet running after striking the cars rear mudguard. Not a scratch.
Two witnesses at a bus stop thought it was spectacular, but failed to
get the arsole's number. The bike had badly bent forks, but a week later
I fixed it and kept riding. What a ****ing miracle! The Traffic
Authority statistics may show that bright clothing/bike colours and
lights on might make you less likely to be involved in a collision. I
had a large white fairing on my BMW and people thought at first I was a
copper. Maybe that helped me stay alive.

Many car drivers just don't see the motorcyclist or the cyclist until
its too late.

**** happens.

Patrick Turner.
Old June 8th 09, 10:07 AM posted to aus.bicycle
F Murtz[_2_]

Patrick Turner wrote:

F Murtz wrote:
Patrick Turner wrote:

[...]