Another useless gimic?

Old October 13th 03, 09:35 AM
Alan Walker

Default Another useless gimic?

Saw a very expensive frame in my local bicycle shop with large
diamond-shaped holes in the chainstays. The carbon fibre tubes split
into two, then rejoined, leaving a hole.

I think it would require spin of election campaign manager proportions
to justify that one.
Old October 13th 03, 10:08 AM
Maurizio

"Alan Walker" ha scritto nel messaggio
om...
Saw a very expensive frame in my local bicycle shop with large
diamond-shaped holes in the chainstays. The carbon fibre tubes split
into two, then rejoined, leaving a hole.

Colnago C40 HP, I suppose.

I think it would require spin of election campaign manager proportions
to justify that one.

Not that difficult: it could be enough something like: "the new
diamond-shaped chainstays absorb 25% more road bump than the traditional
ones, weighting 10% less and giving 30% more stiffness to the bottom
bracket"

Et voilą.

Maurizio, Bologna, Italy

Old October 13th 03, 10:21 AM
Lou Holtman

Alan Walker wrote:

Saw a very expensive frame in my local bicycle shop with large
diamond-shaped holes in the chainstays. The carbon fibre tubes split
into two, then rejoined, leaving a hole.

I think it would require spin of election campaign manager proportions
to justify that one.

A nice hole for your bicycle lock.

Lou
Old October 13th 03, 12:20 PM
hippy

"Alan Walker" wrote in message
om...
Saw a very expensive frame in my local bicycle shop with large
diamond-shaped holes in the chainstays. The carbon fibre tubes split
into two, then rejoined, leaving a hole.

That would be one of these (or the previous year's model):
http://www.cyclingnews.com/shows.php...s/eurobike/mal
oney/C-50D-Adetail2
http://www.cyclingnews.com/shows.php...s/eurobike/mal
oney/C-50detail-1
http://www.cyclingnews.com/shows.php...s/eurobike/mal
oney/ColnagoDream
http://www.cyclingnews.com/shows.php...s/eurobike/mal
oney/DreamDetail
http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/20...ike02/images/t
im1/Colnago1

I think its Colnago's B-Stay HP "High Power" design. I'm
sure it will make you 5kg lighter, add 10kph to your sprint
speed and convince the missus that you really DO need to
ride a bike 6+ hours a day...

hippy

Old October 13th 03, 12:45 PM
Doug Huffman

How much would YOU pay for 'new' or 'improved'? Just the words mind you,
not any hint of a physical attribute. Now you may know why high-end bikes
are approaching $10K.

I like my $6K 40-ish pound and thirty thousand mile old glide-ride.

"SM" wrote in message
. au...

Ever heard of design or are you one of those plonkers who drives around in

cardboard box, goes home to your square tin shed and dresses in the finest
flannel that you can find at the good sammies?

Its a Colnago C40 or C50 and is one of the best looking frames going

around.

Old October 13th 03, 12:45 PM
SM

"Alan Walker" wrote in message
om...
Saw a very expensive frame in my local bicycle shop with large
diamond-shaped holes in the chainstays. The carbon fibre tubes split
into two, then rejoined, leaving a hole.

I think it would require spin of election campaign manager proportions
to justify that one.

Ever heard of design or are you one of those plonkers who drives around in a

Old October 13th 03, 01:34 PM
hippy

"SM" wrote in message
. au...
Ever heard of design or are you one of those plonkers who drives around in

cardboard box, goes home to your square tin shed and dresses in the finest
flannel that you can find at the good sammies?

Its a Colnago C40 or C50 and is one of the best looking frames going

around.

But does the design do anything useful, or is it all
marketing hype and funky looks?

hippy
- born sceptic ;-)

Old October 13th 03, 03:10 PM
John Rees

"Alan Walker" wrote in message =
om...
| Saw a very expensive frame in my local bicycle shop with large
| diamond-shaped holes in the chainstays. The carbon fibre tubes split
| into two, then rejoined, leaving a hole.
|=20
| I think it would require spin of election campaign manager proportions
| to justify that one.

It's there for when you need to lean the bike against a wall or tree or =
something, and it's windy or there's a hill. You then run a carbon =
fibre rod, that Colnago provides and matches the frame, through the two =
diamonds. This keeps the bike from rolling too far. Works better with =
wheels with a reasonable number of spokes, though.

John Rees
Old October 13th 03, 04:07 PM
Bruni

Colnago transfered some one from the lug carving dept to the newly created
carbon carving dept,
Tom

--
Bruni Bicycles