GPS communication & locator device

Old January 30th 09, 07:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

Default GPS communication & locator device

I know there has been talk on here in the past about a personal
locator, a way to call for help, etc. in the event one gets hurt or
stranded on a ride. Most of the solutions I saw were cost
prohibitive, at least in my opinion in return for what you get. My
solution has been a GPS enabled cell phone.

I just happened upon a product on a sailing forum I frequent that may
have a use with those who feel the need to stay locatable & in touch
with 911 if need be.

Key Features:
With the SPOT Satellite Messenger, you and your loved ones have peace
of mind knowing help is always within reach. SPOT is the only device
of its kind, using the GPS satellite network to acquire its
coordinates, and then sending its location with a link to Google Maps
(tm) and a pre-programmed message via a commercial satellite network.
And unlike Personal Locator Beacons, SPOT does more than just call for
help. Tracking your progress, checking in with loved ones, and non-
emergency assistance are also available, all at the push of a button.
And because it uses 100% satellite technology, SPOT works around the
world even where cell phones don't.

So even if youre cell is out of signal, this thing will work. In
addition to being a 911-help-me device, you can let your loved ones
know where you are on a ride, in case you are stationary for too long
in one point, or they're curious of your progress (assuming you give
them your password). It also has options to send a call for help,
with the GPS location overlayed on google, to your loved ones or 911.
A handy geek feature is being able to log and record your route when
you get home. I've often been very curious about GPS data of my
rides. I'm not sure if this records altitude, since I found it on a
sailiing site. They advertise it for pilots, hikers, etc so I'd guess
it does. If i tdid, it might be worth the price for the ride-logging
alone. Actually, there are cheaper ways to log your ride, but not
that come with the ability to send messages and locations to others,
the only cheaper ways I know of to do this require carrying a unit and
power supply and uploading to your computer when you get home.

I have no affiliation with this product or those selling it, just
thought it might be of interest to some posters here. It'll set you
back $133USD.

Manufacturer page:
http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Page I saw it on, available @ $133
http://shop.sailnet.com/shopping_car...id/30012009z00

Curious what the rest of you think about this. Depending on the
tracking/logging features, altitude availability, etc. I might find a
use for it between cycling, dirt bikes & sailing. Not entirely sold
yet, but it's got my attention.
Old January 30th 09, 08:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jan 30, 11:48 am, " wrote:
[...]

Plus $150 for the first year of service...

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=1300

.... then whatever they want to charge the year after that... and the
year after that...

Manufacturer page:http://www.findmespot.com/en/

Page I saw it on, available @ $133http://shop.sailnet.com/shopping_cart.php/campaignid/30012009z00

Old January 30th 09, 08:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Jan 30, 11:48 am, " wrote:

... GPS enabled cell phone.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=99883564

Old January 30th 09, 09:00 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 30, 3:43*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Jan 30, 11:48 am, " wrote:

[...]

yet, but it's got my attention.- Hide quoted text -

I didn't notice that - the annual fee is pretty steep. Enough to be a
deterrent for me. But, like I said, my solution to all this is a GPS
cell phone, which I have. I just came across this on the sailing site
and it reminded me of devices people were asking for on here a while
back.

A little more looking into it on my part found the logs to check out
your ride when you get home are @ 10 minute intervals - not enough in
my opinion. Oh well. $40 for a GPS data logger that will overlay w/
google earth when you get home, and a 5V power supply seems like the
best way to record your ride to me. I'll stick with the cell if I
ever need to call for help.
Old January 30th 09, 09:01 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 30, 3:45*pm, Dan O wrote:
On Jan 30, 11:48 am, " wrote:

... GPS enabled cell phone.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=99883564

I agree, and as I said in my OP that's been my solution. I saw this
and thought of some previous posts here is all. At this point I think
the cons outweigh the pros though.
Old January 30th 09, 10:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

Dan O wrote:
On Jan 30, 11:48 am, " wrote:

... GPS enabled cell phone.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=99883564

Does no good if you are out of cell phone range in the woods.
It HAS to work off of a satellite.
Bill Baka
Old January 31st 09, 02:14 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

" wrote:

this is a GPS
cell phone, which I have.

Which gps cell phone you have and what carrier?
Old January 31st 09, 05:11 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech

Phil W Lee wrote:
" considered Fri, 30 Jan 2009
14:03:35 -0800 the perfect time to write:

Dan O wrote:

On Jan 30, 11:48 am, " wrote:

... GPS enabled cell phone.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=99883564

Does no good if you are out of cell phone range in the woods.
It HAS to work off of a satellite.

Or be capable of transmitting on 101.50

I can't think of many places you might cycle that wouldn't be line of
sight to an aircraft, at least a few times each day.

I think they even have satellites watching for that, although it would
be a simple beacon, not voice transmission.

DO NOT TEST ON THIS FREQUENCY unless you like getting serious hassle
from whatever the regulatory authority in your country is.

I'm thinking it must go through the Iridium constellation that was put
up by Motorola before the digital cell phone revolution. Rather than
just de-orbit the birds, the military is using them for battlefield
communications and quite possibly the rescue transmitters.
Maybe, just an idea.
Bill Baka
Old January 31st 09, 09:07 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech
DanKMTB[_2_]

On Fri, 30 Jan 2009 20:14:34 -0600, me wrote:

" wrote:

this is a GPS
cell phone, which I have.

Which gps cell phone you have and what carrier?

I have a razr on sprint/nextel. It works most places I ride, the only
noteworthy exception being some of the white mountains.
Old January 31st 09, 02:00 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per :
a personal
locator, a way to call for help, etc.

I've been on a similar search for something to carry when
paddling my surfski.

The problem I have with Spot is that I'm too cheap to pay the
annual fees. Other than that, it seems to offer a lot of good
functionality - especially if it's embedded in a cell phone or
marine radio.

Problem I have with marine radios and their digital help features
is that it automatically involves the rescue people, a reporting
system that I don't fully understand, no acknowledgement that
help is on the way, and no way to interact with said help.

Problem I have with all devices is the lat/long readouts. Too
problematic to depend on being able to ring it up on the device's
display, reading it correctly, saying it over the device, and
then having the person at the other end get it right.

My ideal device would be a marine radio that has a panic button.
Establish contact with a boater in the area, get a commitment to
assist, then push the panic button to inject a
digitally-synthesized voice that gives the lat/long coordinates.
Keep pressing the button until the guy at the other is satisfied
that he has them right.
--
PeteCresswell