wheel reality

Old February 11th 07, 02:16 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default wheel reality

I am building a track wheel set the parts that are fixed and I have
already bought are Velocity deep V rims. What lacing pattern do
you think would look best? I have done 1x 2x and 3x in the past what
do you think I should do for front and rear? Radial looks best, but
not a good idea on some bents. I will post an ad when I am done with
them.

Old February 11th 07, 02:59 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am building a track wheel set the parts that are fixed and I have
already bought are Velocity deep V rims. What lacing pattern do
you think would look best? I have done 1x 2x and 3x in the past what
do you think I should do for front and rear? Radial looks best, but
not a good idea on some bents. I will post an ad when I am done with
them.

No one in this world gives a good god damn about how you lace your ****ing
wheels. Just what kind of idiot are you anyway?

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old February 11th 07, 04:35 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JimmyMac

On Feb 11, 8:16 am, wrote:
I am building a track wheel set the parts that are fixed and I have
already bought are Velocity deep V rims. What lacing pattern do
you think would look best? I have done 1x 2x and 3x in the past what
do you think I should do for front and rear? Radial looks best, but
not a good idea on some bents. I will post an ad when I am done with
them.

Pay no heed to the blustering buffoon. He complains of a lack of
content, but contributes nothing worthwhile ... complains that ARBR is
a chat room and does nothing but generate chat ... complains about
recumbent content in a newsgroup specifically intended for that very
purpose ... cannot decide if ARBR is dead or is salvageable ... if he
should leave or remain ... the conundrum continues, but enough about
nothingness. Lets talk about your wheel design issues shall we?

Don't make the mistake of placing form (appearance ) before function.
It is far more important that the wheel performs well than simply
looks good, not that the two are mutually exclusive objective, mind
you. You didn't stipulate the size of the wheels ... an important
deciding factor when considering lacing patterns (number of
crossings). What are the wheel sizes. How do you determine the
proper spoke length?

Jim McNamara

Old February 14th 07, 08:27 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Edward Dolan

"JimmyMac" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Feb 11, 8:16 am, wrote:
[...]

wheels. Just what kind of idiot are you anyway?" - Ed Dolan

Old February 21st 07, 03:38 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Johnny Sunset aka Tom Sherman

On Feb 11, 8:16 am, wrote:
I am building a track wheel set the parts that are fixed and I have
already bought are Velocity deep V rims. What lacing pattern do
you think would look best? I have done 1x 2x and 3x in the past what
do you think I should do for front and rear? Radial looks best, but
not a good idea on some bents. I will post an ad when I am done with
them.

2-cross looks odd compared to 3-cross, but is better on smaller (ISO
451-mm to ISO 305-mm [1]) diameter wheels, since the angle of the
spokes entering the rim is less, particularly if a hub with large
diameter flanges is used.

Radical, er radial spoke lacing is generally a poor idea, and may
cause failure of the hub flange [2], unless the hubs are designed for
radial spoke lacing.

[1] ISO 203-mm wheels leave little choice but radial spoke lacing, if
one is to have room to access the valve stem, and even then a small
pump head may be required.
[2] Radial spoke lacing may also void the warranty on the hub,
depending on the manufacturer.

--
Tom Sherman - Clueless Newbie