Getting ready for my new project.

Old February 12th 07, 12:41 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Joel

Default Getting ready for my new project.

I am planning on purchasing the Trice flag mount for my trike. It will
require that I drill out here 6.2mm hole to a 6.5mm hole to accept the
1/4" flag shaft. I don't have a drill press or a vise, so I will have to
improvise. I will take the mount and screw it to a 2x4 then using my
electric drill and a slightly larger bit than the existing hole and
plenty of WD40 I will drill out the hole, then use a 1/4" bit and drill
again. Do you think it will work? here is a link to the mount.
http://tinyurl.com/ypx8hl

Joel
Old February 12th 07, 03:21 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent

"Joel" joelw135atcomcast.net wrote in message
. ..
I am planning on purchasing the Trice flag mount for my trike. It will
require that I drill out here 6.2mm hole to a 6.5mm hole to accept the 1/4"
flag shaft. I don't have a drill press or a vise, so I will have to
improvise. I will take the mount and screw it to a 2x4 then using my
electric drill and a slightly larger bit than the existing hole and plenty
of WD40 I will drill out the hole, then use a 1/4" bit and drill again. Do
you think it will work? here is a link to the mount.
http://tinyurl.com/ypx8hl

Joel

I'm guessing you want to enlarge the hole so that you won't have to rework
every flag pole you might want to use, instead of taking some sandpaper to
the pole, but could you buy some tube that would slip over the Trice's
giving you automatic clearence? I also think the tool you want to use to
remove .012" would be a reamer with a pilot bushing, not a drill bit. Also I
recommend using oil, not WD-40 which is too thin for cutting fluid.

If you're going to use drill, I think you're going to need an E, then an F.

Old February 12th 07, 05:08 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
32GO

Joel asked:

Do you think [drilling out a Trice flag mount]
will work?

Yes. If you drill [bore] from the top, and stop about
1/4" before you go all the way through, the safety pole
can be pressed into the mount by hand so that you may
be happy with its retention, but it's still fairly easy
to remove it for trike transport. If you bore all the
way through you can tape the pole just above the mount
to keep it from sliding all the way to the ground. If
you don't remove the pole very often you can let it
extend about 3/4" below the mount and wrap a few more
turns of tape there to make it much harder to pull off,
e.g., by low hanging branches.

Regards,
Wayne

Old February 12th 07, 05:23 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
JKimmel

Joel wrote:
I am planning on purchasing the Trice flag mount for my trike. It will
require that I drill out here 6.2mm hole to a 6.5mm hole to accept the
1/4" flag shaft. I don't have a drill press or a vise, so I will have to
improvise. I will take the mount and screw it to a 2x4 then using my
electric drill and a slightly larger bit than the existing hole and
plenty of WD40 I will drill out the hole, then use a 1/4" bit and drill
again. Do you think it will work? here is a link to the mount.
http://tinyurl.com/ypx8hl

Joel

I use electrical/hydraulic (MS21919) clamps to hold my flag. They work
very well.

--
J Kimmel

www.metalinnovations.com

"Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum." - When you have
their full attention in your grip, their hearts and minds will follow.
Old February 12th 07, 05:24 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Joel

32GO wrote:
Joel asked:

Do you think [drilling out a Trice flag mount]
will work?

Yes. If you drill [bore] from the top, and stop about
1/4" before you go all the way through, the safety pole
can be pressed into the mount by hand so that you may
be happy with its retention, but it's still fairly easy
to remove it for trike transport. If you bore all the
way through you can tape the pole just above the mount
to keep it from sliding all the way to the ground. If
you don't remove the pole very often you can let it
extend about 3/4" below the mount and wrap a few more
turns of tape there to make it much harder to pull off,
e.g., by low hanging branches.

Regards,
Wayne

I will drill just short of the bottom so I don't need the tape. I have a
Cobalt 1/4" drill bit that I will use with WD40 as lubrication. I guess
I will get it in about 10 days to 2 weeks. I can't stand those stamped
metal brackets that come with most flags, and the way a recumbent is
built, they are unusable. I made a out of scale mock up of the mount on
the trike.
http://tinyurl.com/yssyug
Old February 12th 07, 05:32 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

With weight concerns in mind, in the photo it seems easiest to hacksaw
off that metal adjuster strap in order to miss the upper rack hex
bolt, then slip it on the removed axle, put the wheel back, tighten.

As far as the flag rod width, I would try a cordless 3/8" drill and
sandpaper- open the drill jaw wide,then the sandpaper, then the rod.
Clamp the rod into the drill jaw firmly- but not tightly and hang onto
the rod with gloves, then "pulse" (on off, on off, on off) the drill.
Then curse when that doesn't work.

Plan B..... go have a beer.

Old February 12th 07, 05:59 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Joel

Joel wrote:
I am planning on purchasing the Trice flag mount for my trike. It will
require that I drill out here 6.2mm hole to a 6.5mm hole to accept the
1/4" flag shaft. I don't have a drill press or a vise, so I will have to
improvise. I will take the mount and screw it to a 2x4 then using my
electric drill and a slightly larger bit than the existing hole and
plenty of WD40 I will drill out the hole, then use a 1/4" bit and drill
again. Do you think it will work? here is a link to the mount.
http://tinyurl.com/ypx8hl

Joel

I think I have lost you! What metal adjuster strap? Also did you say put
the sandpaper in the drill around the rod then hold the rod so the
sandpaper rubs the rod?
Old February 12th 07, 07:41 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
gotbent

Joel wrote:
I am planning on purchasing the Trice flag mount for my trike. It will
require that I drill out here 6.2mm hole to a 6.5mm hole to accept the
1/4" flag shaft. I don't have a drill press or a vise, so I will have to
improvise. I will take the mount and screw it to a 2x4 then using my
electric drill and a slightly larger bit than the existing hole and
plenty of WD40

Don't use a lightweight fluid like WD-40. Use regular oil, even 3-in-1 would
be better, or motor oil. FWIW the next two drill sizes you want are E and F,
but the best thing to use would be a reamer with a guide bearing. Another
way to enlarge the hole would be to take an undersized dowel, slit it and
put a strip of emery cloth through the slit and keep working it up and down
the tube with the drill. Do this dry and check the fit periodically.

How about this idea; get a piece of metal tubing at the hobby or hardware
store that is big enough to slip over the tube of the flag pole holder. Use
some epoxy to glue it over the tube. Walla, a resized tube without all the
futzing around. Just wrap a bit of tape on your flag pole if the slip-over
tube is too roomy.

Old February 12th 07, 10:12 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Joel

Joel wrote:
I am planning on purchasing the Trice flag mount for my trike. It will
require that I drill out here 6.2mm hole to a 6.5mm hole to accept the
1/4" flag shaft. I don't have a drill press or a vise, so I will have to
improvise. I will take the mount and screw it to a 2x4 then using my
electric drill and a slightly larger bit than the existing hole and
plenty of WD40 I will drill out the hole, then use a 1/4" bit and drill
again. Do you think it will work? here is a link to the mount.
http://tinyurl.com/ypx8hl

Joel

I think I have lost you! What metal adjuster strap? Also did you say put
the sandpaper in the drill around the rod then hold the rod so the
sandpaper rubs the rod?

OK I see you are talking about cutting off the arc cutout where the
mounting screw is in now. On my trike I don't think that can be done as
the dropouts are recessed farther back. but I won't rule that out until
I see it for sure. Still not sure what you meant with the drill and
sandpaper.

Joel