Shipping a bike within the UK

Old December 14th 03, 07:25 AM
vernon.levy

Default Shipping a bike within the UK

I have found a bike at the other end of the country that I'd quite like
to buy as the price is right. The problem is, is that it a private sale
and i don't fancy a 400 mile round trip to pick it up. How do I go
about having it moved by courier/Parcelm Force? I am sure that I've
read about such things in the newsgroup but can find any of the original
messages. How much is it likely to cost?

Cheers

Vernon in Leeds

Old December 14th 03, 08:34 AM
A.lee

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 07:25:28 +0000, vernon.levy wrote:

I have found a bike at the other end of the country that I'd quite like
to buy as the price is right. The problem is, is that it a private sale
and i don't fancy a 400 mile round trip to pick it up. How do I go
about having it moved by courier/Parcelm Force? I am sure that I've
read about such things in the newsgroup but can find any of the original
messages. How much is it likely to cost?

Get the wheels off it, twist the bars round,remove the rear mech(tie it to
the frame with chain still attached), remove the seat post, then wrap it all
in cardboard and tape,and take it down to your loacl Post Office who'll send
it anywhere in the Country for around £13.
Alan
--
To reply by e-mail, change the 'minus' to 'plus'.
http://www.dvatc.co.uk - Off-road cycling in the North Midlands.
Old December 14th 03, 09:39 AM
Cicero

news

========
Get the wheels off it, twist the bars round,remove the rear mech(tie it to
the frame with chain still attached), remove the seat post, then wrap it

all
in cardboard and tape,and take it down to your loacl Post Office who'll

send
it anywhere in the Country for around £13.
Alan

=============
I would suggest that you try ANY carrier EXCEPT Parcel Force. In my
experience Parcel Force seem to be able to damage anything entrusted to
them. A proper commercial carrier will probably do the job quite cheaply
(probably less than £20-00) and they will take care of your bicycle because
they will have to pay for any damage.

Get a few quotes through 'Yellow Pages'.

Cic.

Old December 14th 03, 10:39 AM
Pete Biggs

http://www.senditquick.com

I would suggest that you try ANY carrier EXCEPT Parcel Force. In my
experience Parcel Force seem to be able to damage anything entrusted
to them. A proper commercial carrier will probably do the job quite
cheaply (probably less than £20-00) and they will take care of your
bicycle because they will have to pay for any damage.

ParcelForce has been ok in my experience, and some agents use ParcelForce
anyway.

~PB

Old December 14th 03, 10:46 AM
Pete Biggs

A.lee wrote:

Get the wheels off it, twist the bars round,remove the rear mech(tie
it to the frame with chain still attached), remove the seat post,
then wrap it all in cardboard and tape

Also fit dropout spacers where the wheels normally fit if you can get
them.

,and take it down to your loacl
Post Office who'll send it anywhere in the Country for around £13.

What service is that exactly? Normal second class parcel post would cost
much more than £13 wouldn't it?

Do local PO's ever have size/weight limits?

~PB

Old December 14th 03, 11:39 AM
A.lee

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 10:46:00 +0000, Pete Biggs wrote:

A.lee wrote:
,and take it down to your loacl
Post Office who'll send it anywhere in the Country for around £13.

What service is that exactly? Normal second class parcel post would cost
much more than £13 wouldn't it?

Do local PO's ever have size/weight limits

Standard Post Office Parcel service.
Up to 30kg, and, up to 1.5 metre length, and 3 metres around.So all solo bikes
would be able to be sent.
£10.76 to be sent, then,£1.10 for insurance to £250,£2.20 for insurance to
£500.
This is a quoted five day service, but I've used it for 2 bikes, and both
were delivered in 3 days.
All the details on on www.royalmail.co.uk
Alan.
Old December 14th 03, 12:45 PM
Pete Biggs

A.lee wrote:
Standard Post Office Parcel service.
Up to 30kg, and, up to 1.5 metre length, and 3 metres around.So all
solo bikes would be able to be sent.
£10.76 to be sent, then,£1.10 for insurance to £250,£2.20 for
insurance to £500.
This is a quoted five day service, but I've used it for 2 bikes, and
both were delivered in 3 days.
All the details on on www.royalmail.co.uk

Thanks for the info. Sorry for not checking the site before asking; I
tend to forget about the "Standard Parcel" service! I am still wondering
how some of the little tin pot local post offices would react to someone
bringing in a great big parcel, though. It can be more convenient and
cheaper to use one of the services that collects in any case.

~PB

Old December 15th 03, 10:40 PM
peter

I also use the post office parcel service to send bikes and bits and always
found them reliable, totally unlike parcel farce.
As my local LBS gets all their bikes delivered in individual cardboard
boxes, its easy to scrounge one of these off them and Wilkinsons sell small
rolls of bubble wrap for less than a pound. Using a box, bubble wrap plus a
few sheets of crumpled newspaper I've never had anything damaged in transit
by the post office.
peter

news