Cleaning Glue off of Tire Sidewalls?

Old June 2nd 05, 08:47 PM

Roger Marquis writes:

Some porus base tapes don't need a dry layer of glue applied to
them beforehand. The Deda Olimpico (my favorite racing tire) is
one of those. Just put a light layer on the rim, let it set for
20 to 40 minutes, and mount the tire.

Insanity!!

Really tho, one light layer onto the rim and none on the tire=tire
roll.

In ~32 years of riding tubulars daily (having switched to and from
clinchers 3 times) I've yet to pre-glue a base tape. Only once in
that time have I had a problem with adhesion and that was with a
Clement Criterium Cotton which had a thick layer of slick latex over
its base tape.

OK, so your an old fart and still don't know what kind of base tape
you are looking at.

The only reason pre-glueing base tape may be prudent, and then only
with certain porus/unsealed base tapes, is so the solvent fumes from
drying rim glue doesn't compromise the tire-to-base tape adhesion.
It has nothing to do with tire-to-rim adhesion.

aka "porous"

"porus/unsealed base tapes" are ones on which hard glue or shellac can
be used. These adhesives do not hold on coated base tapes but then
few people use "Tipo Pista" hard glue. Just the same, tire
manufacturers give the user the option by offering bare cloth base tapes.

If you are paranoid, and do pre-glue base tapes, be sure to use a
_very_ thin layer. Too much glue is worse than too little. It's
like solder in that you only need enough to fill the gap.

"Very" is a useless word in this and most contexts because it is ill
defined and dilutes the adverb/adjective it modifies. Get with
quantifiable dimensions.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/m...-tubulars.html

Sheldon Brown is wrong. My experience is that the best bond between
tire and rim occurs when the last layer of glue is still relatively wet
upon application. (Yes, it is more messy.) This dovetails with
Marquis's experience that the glue layer on the tire is probably
unnecessary. A layer of wet cement will soak into the base tape more
uniformly and improve the bond; the dry "contact cement" does not have
the benefit of glue flow to increasive the effective adhesive surface.
(Effective adhesive surface is defined operationally as surface with
glue on it that is actually adhering to the mating tire surface.)

(Brown's comments are also obsolete about different tubular cement
brands.)

The sticky pregluing of the base tape is a good idea for a spare tire,
but treating contemporary tubular tire glue as a purely contact cement
does not create the strongest bond.

I don't have numbers on how much force is required to remove a tire
using these two methods, but I do know that the wet layer bond using
Vittoria Mastik is extremely difficult to break by hand (on the road I
usually pull out an allen wrench that I work under the tire, but I'm
thinking about carrying an aluminum tire lever, if I can find one, for
that purpose), while the contact cement method is easily pried off by
hand. That is an objective observation.

Would be interested to see a test of the difference in rolling
resistance between the two gluing methods. Given your own test results
20+ years ago comparing road and track glues, it seems a certainty to
me that contemporary road glue, used in combination with gluing
technique designed to give the strongest bond (as opposed to being
easily removable in case of a flat), is almost certain to result in the
least rolling resistance.

I wouldn't be calling someone an "old fart" if I were you.

Old June 2nd 05, 11:59 PM

Default Cleaning Glue off of Tire Sidewalls?

someone sniped anonymously:

[...]

I guess you can't read but the piece cited isn't from Sheldon Brown.
He only furnishes the web space for that article.

My experience is that the best bond between tire and rim occurs when
the last layer of glue is still relatively wet upon application.
(Yes, it is more messy.) This dovetails with Marquis's experience
that the glue layer on the tire is probably unnecessary. A layer of
wet cement will soak into the base tape more uniformly and improve
the bond; the dry "contact cement" does not have the benefit of glue
flow to increasive the effective adhesive surface. (Effective
adhesive surface is defined operationally as surface with glue on it
that is actually adhering to the mating tire surface.)

I guess if you never brake hard enough to heat your rims you may have
had that experience, but pressure sensitive glues are mobile and
squirm all over so that the tire seats where it sinks in under
flexing. If you inspect old rims, you will see that the glue is full
of aluminum oxide, the grey color and that the base tape of the tire
eroded the aluminum rim.

(Brown's comments are also obsolete about different tubular cement
brands.)

They are not "Brown's comments' and the glues mentioned are similar to
other favorite brands. Besides they are still on the rare item
market.

The sticky pregluing of the base tape is a good idea for a spare
tire, but treating contemporary tubular tire glue as a purely
contact cement does not create the strongest bond.

I don't think you ride tubulars or you would have plenty of used tires
that have glue on them. The way you describe this, it seems you
theoretically take a new tire along as a spare. People who ride
tubulars don't follow that regimen.

I don't have numbers on how much force is required to remove a tire
using these two methods, but I do know that the wet layer bond using
Vittoria Mastik is extremely difficult to break by hand (on the road
I usually pull out an allen wrench that I work under the tire, but
I'm thinking about carrying an aluminum tire lever, if I can find
one, for that purpose), while the contact cement method is easily
pried off by hand. That is an objective observation.

Who gives a hoot how much force. The glue only prevents tire creep,
the constriction of the casing under pressure holds the tire on...
with plenty of force. The calculation of that is in "the Bicycle Wheel".

Would be interested to see a test of the difference in rolling
resistance between the two gluing methods. Given your own test
results 20+ years ago comparing road and track glues, it seems a
certainty to me that contemporary road glue, used in combination
with gluing technique designed to give the strongest bond (as
opposed to being easily removable in case of a flat), is almost
certain to result in the least rolling resistance.

So where are your tests?

I suppose you believe Sheldon did those tests as well.

I wouldn't be calling someone an "old fart" if I were you.

"Old fart" is a state of mind, not chronological years.

Old June 3rd 05, 01:56 AM

wrote:
Sheldon Brown is wrong.

I guess you can't read but the piece cited isn't from Sheldon Brown.
He only furnishes the web space for that article.

I noticed that your name was on it after I had read the substance of
the article and responded to it. I considered replying to my own
article to correct the attribution but thought it was too trivial,
because after all, Sheldon is repsonsible for the content of his
website.

I guess if you never brake hard enough to heat your rims you may have
had that experience, but pressure sensitive glues are mobile and
squirm all over so that the tire seats where it sinks in under
flexing.

With Vittoria Mastik the rim can be heated to a point where you can't
touch it and it still maintains more strength than the glues you used
in your day do at their optimal operating temp. But even you admitted
in a previous post that extreme braking conditions are required to heat
rims to that degree, that usually wind resistance provides enough
braking that the rim does not need to reach that temperature.

If you inspect old rims, you will see that the glue is full
of aluminum oxide, the grey color and that the base tape of the tire
eroded the aluminum rim.

Old is right. Because if they are new rims (or even old rims) using
contemporary glue applied as I suggested, they will not squirm that
way, or as much.

(Brown's comments are also obsolete about different tubular cement
brands.)

They are not "Brown's comments' and the glues mentioned are similar to
other favorite brands. Besides they are still on the rare item
market.

Not according to recent testing. Those glues don't come close to Conti
or especially VM in strength.

I don't think you ride tubulars or you would have plenty of used tires
that have glue on them.

Unlike you, I have ridden tubulars almost exclusively for the last 30+
years.

The way you describe this, it seems you
theoretically take a new tire along as a spare. People who ride
tubulars don't follow that regimen.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. What I don't do is keep a bunch of
extra tubulars lying around, and what I also don't do is pull off a
glued tire to make it a spare and replace it with a new one. To be
perfectly honest, I don't pre-glue *new* spares either, but I realize
that I probably should. Sometimes I will put on a used (pre-glued)
spare, buy a new tire and put it under the saddle, and ride around on
the spare for a couple of weeks before I get around to gluing it down,
if it is a rear tire. And then my decision about which tire to glue and
which to keep as a spare will be based on different factors like which
is the better tire and what are their relative conditions. So no, I
don't follow a regimen.

I don't have numbers on how much force is required to remove a tire
using these two methods, but I do know that the wet layer bond using
Vittoria Mastik is extremely difficult to break by hand (on the road
I usually pull out an allen wrench that I work under the tire, but
I'm thinking about carrying an aluminum tire lever, if I can find
one, for that purpose), while the contact cement method is easily
pried off by hand. That is an objective observation.

Who gives a hoot how much force.

That's the whole point- "how much force" is what resists the damn tire
rolling off. You seemed to think it important to some degree since in
the FAQ you point out that inflation is what you think is the force
keeping the tire on the rim.

The glue only prevents tire creep,
the constriction of the casing under pressure holds the tire on...
with plenty of force.

Wrong, and it's easily verified. A fully inflated but unglued tire can
be pulled off a rim by hand; a properly glued tire cannot.

The calculation of that is in "the Bicycle Wheel".

The calculation is wrong if it based on the gluing method described on
Brown's site.

Would be interested to see a test of the difference in rolling
resistance between the two gluing methods. Given your own test
results 20+ years ago comparing road and track glues, it seems a
certainty to me that contemporary road glue, used in combination
with gluing technique designed to give the strongest bond (as
opposed to being easily removable in case of a flat), is almost
certain to result in the least rolling resistance.

So where are your tests?

Don't have them but extrapolating from yours and the recent testing
with tubular glues I think it is a reasonable hypothesis. Your ranting
has certainly done nothing to cast doubt on it.

I suppose you believe Sheldon did those tests as well.

No, I doubt that any regular reader of this ng could *possibly* escape
the fact that you and Avocet did the tests.

I wouldn't be calling someone an "old fart" if I were you.

"Old fart" is a state of mind, not chronological years.

Ain't *that* the truth. Like I said.

Old June 3rd 05, 02:27 AM

[...]

You are fooling yourself if you believe that. Glues haven't changed
all that much and if they have they are on the border of not being
useful for a spare tire if they are not soft enough when at room
temperature to hold. If heating them doesn't affect them then you
have a glue that is useless because all pressure sensitive glues are
thermally affected.

If you inspect old rims, you will see that the glue is full of
aluminum oxide, the grey color and that the base tape of the tire
eroded the aluminum rim.

Old is right. Because if they are new rims (or even old rims) using
contemporary glue applied as I suggested, they will not squirm that
way, or as much.

OK, so let's rephrase that:

If you inspect your used rims, you will see that the glue is full of
aluminum oxide, the grey color and that the base tape of the tire has
eroded the aluminum rim.

(Brown's comments are also obsolete about different tubular cement
brands.)

They are not "Brown's comments' and the glues mentioned are similar
to other favorite brands. Besides they are still on the rare item
market.

Not according to recent testing. Those glues don't come close to
Conti or especially VM in strength.

This is the same old story we've been hearing every year throughout
the days when people still rode tubulars. It's only how much you
believe the ad copy.

I don't think you ride tubulars or you would have plenty of used tires
that have glue on them.

Unlike you, I have ridden tubulars almost exclusively for the last
30+ years.

Oh? How do you know how many years I rode tubulars? As I have
mentioned, in the days when there were no useful racing clinchers, I
held Wednesday evening tubular repair sessions for the local racers. The
items in the FAQ on tubulars is all well tested.

[...]

Somehow your scenario doesn't make sense. When you have a flat or
two, you must patch them on the road and re-mount them if you don't
have patched tubulars at home. Form years of experience, most riders
have at least two tires as spares that resulted from a home repair
while two other tires are on the bicycle. Since most riders have more
than one set of wheels, there are at least two spares in reserve. I
don't visualize how you handle this but it seems hypothetical.

I don't have numbers on how much force is required to remove a
tire using these two methods, but I do know that the wet layer
bond using Vittoria Mastik is extremely difficult to break by hand
(on the road I usually pull out an allen wrench that I work under
the tire, but I'm thinking about carrying an aluminum tire lever,
if I can find one, for that purpose), while the contact cement
method is easily pried off by hand. That is an objective
observation.

Who gives a hoot how much force.

That's the whole point- "how much force" is what resists the damn
tire rolling off. You seemed to think it important to some degree
since in the FAQ you point out that inflation is what you think is
the force keeping the tire on the rim.

Well that isn't the point. Tires don't roll as you imagine. They are
held in place by inflation constriction and kept from creeping
significantly by the glue. Even with rim cement, they move. I think
that if you took some demanding descents around here, you too would
have to reverse your front wheel to make the tire creep back to where
the stem is again radial from reverse creep. This is old hat and
hasn't changed.

The glue only prevents tire creep, the constriction of the casing
under pressure holds the tire on... with plenty of force.

Wrong, and it's easily verified. A fully inflated but unglued tire
can be pulled off a rim by hand; a properly glued tire cannot.

I can pull of a fully glued and inflated tire. So what?

The calculation of that is in "the Bicycle Wheel".

The calculation is wrong if it based on the gluing method described
on Brown's site.

I don't think you know with what your are disagreeing. The
constriction force is correct and is valid for tubulars and clinchers
with bias ply cords. Just slow down a bit and review what is being
discussed.

Would be interested to see a test of the difference in rolling
resistance between the two gluing methods. Given your own test
results 20+ years ago comparing road and track glues, it seems a
certainty to me that contemporary road glue, used in combination
with gluing technique designed to give the strongest bond (as
opposed to being easily removable in case of a flat), is almost
certain to result in the least rolling resistance.

So where are your tests?

Don't have them but extrapolating from yours and the recent testing
with tubular glues I think it is a reasonable hypothesis. Your
ranting has certainly done nothing to cast doubt on it.

I can't do much with that nor can anyone else.

I suppose you believe Sheldon did those tests as well.

No, I doubt that any regular reader of this ng could *possibly*
escape the fact that you and Avocet did the tests.

SO what is it that you don't believe?

I wouldn't be calling someone an "old fart" if I were you.

"Old fart" is a state of mind, not chronological years.

Ain't *that* the truth. Like I said.

aka "as I said". I take it English is a second language for you.

Old June 3rd 05, 06:36 PM

wrote:
someone sniped anonymously:

With Vittoria Mastik the rim can be heated to a point where you
can't touch it and it still maintains more strength than the glues
you used in your day do at their optimal operating temp. But even
you admitted in a previous post that extreme braking conditions are
required to heat rims to that degree, that usually wind resistance
provides enough braking that the rim does not need to reach that
temperature.

You are fooling yourself if you believe that. Glues haven't changed
all that much

The strongest glues did not exist when you did your testing.

and if they have they are on the border of not being
useful for a spare tire if they are not soft enough when at room
temperature to hold.

So which is it? Have they or have they not changed "all that much"?
Since I happen to think that the data supports the latter, I will grant
you this: they may not be the best glues to use for a spare tire. That
would match my experience that the contact cement method of gluing
tires that you recommend does not create the strongest bond with VM.

OK, so let's rephrase that:

If you inspect your used rims, you will see that the glue is full of
aluminum oxide, the grey color and that the base tape of the tire has
eroded the aluminum rim.

I have noticed taking VM-glued tires off and only seeing the white
glue, but I admit that doesn't mean anything. The real question is
whether the degree of squirm is as great as with the old glues. Some
squirm would produce some oxide; a quarter as much squirm might produce
the same amount of oxide if the tire was used 4x as long- very, very
difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions from the presence of
aluminum oxide without a very carefully controlled test procedure.

They are not "Brown's comments' and the glues mentioned are similar
to other favorite brands.

Not according to recent testing. Those glues don't come close to
Conti or especially VM in strength.

This is the same old story we've been hearing every year throughout
the days when people still rode tubulars. It's only how much you
believe the ad copy.

I don't read ad copy, I don't buy cycling mags. Does anyone actually
advertise tubular glues? I am basing my "story" on the testing shown
at:

http://www.engr.ku.edu/~ktl/bicycle/bicycle.html

Unlike you, I have ridden tubulars almost exclusively for the last
30+ years.

Oh? How do you know how many years I rode tubulars?

I made no reference to how long you rode tubulars, I don't know how
many years you rode them, and I don't care. What I *do* know is that
you haven't ridden them with any regularity for about thirty years, and
I know this because you have told us this over and over here on this
ng.

As I have
mentioned, in the days when there were no useful racing clinchers, I
held Wednesday evening tubular repair sessions for the local racers. The
items in the FAQ on tubulars is all well tested.

The stuff in the FAQ is dated.

[...]

Nonsense. I mount the spare, take the flat home and either repair it or
not. Then the repaired tire, or a new replacement tire becomes the
spare for the next ride. You only need three functional tires in this
"regimen" unless you get two flats in one ride, which has only happened
once that I remember, although I have a vague feeling that it may have
happened another time in the distant past.

Form years of experience, most riders
have at least two tires as spares that resulted from a home repair
while two other tires are on the bicycle. Since most riders have more
than one set of wheels, there are at least two spares in reserve. I
don't visualize how you handle this but it seems hypothetical.

I have spare wheels; they don't have tires mounted on them. That hasn't
really been a need since I last raced years ago.

That's the whole point- "how much force" is what resists the damn
tire rolling off. You seemed to think it important to some degree
since in the FAQ you point out that inflation is what you think is
the force keeping the tire on the rim.

Well that isn't the point. Tires don't roll as you imagine. They are
held in place by inflation constriction and kept from creeping
significantly by the glue. Even with rim cement, they move.

Inflation constriction certainly helps to keep them in place; that
doesn't prove that it is the primary force holding them on the wheel
when using the best contemporary glues.

I think
that if you took some demanding descents around here, you too would
have to reverse your front wheel to make the tire creep back to where
the stem is again radial from reverse creep. This is old hat and
hasn't changed.

Given that VM is a relatively new glue, and proven that at high rim
temperatures is retains more strength than the old glues did at optimal
temperatures, it is clear that it *has* changed.

I can pull of a fully glued and inflated tire. So what?

I'd be willing to wager that if I carefully glued a tire on with VM and
pumped it up, you *couldn't* pull it off by hand, but, what the hell,
I'm sure there are people out there stronger than me that could, and
maybe you're one of them.

I don't think you know with what your are disagreeing. The
constriction force is correct and is valid for tubulars and clinchers
with bias ply cords. Just slow down a bit and review what is being
discussed.

You're right; I didn't read it- no need to: if it says that
constriction force acts to prevent a tubular from coming off the rim,
I'm sure it's right; if it purports to prove that it is the only
significant way that a tubular is held onto a rim, it is wrong, and I
know it is wrong because I have personal experience comparing
constriction force to VM glue as a way of holding the tire on the rim.
There is no doubt: the VM bond is stronger. No calculation, however
elegant, can be right if it does not describe reality.

In fact, your own testing years ago suggests that I may be right. Just
consider the possibility that a road glue may have been developed that
matches the bond strength of old track glue. If that has happened, and
the above referenced tests indicate that it has, then everything that I
have argued here follows from your own tests.

SO what is it that you don't believe?

I don't believe you know what you are talking about. I don't believe
you are capable of analyzing new data on this subject because you have
too much emotional investment in your old experience with obsolete
materials.

I wouldn't be calling someone an "old fart" if I were you.

"Old fart" is a state of mind, not chronological years.

Ain't *that* the truth. Like I said.

aka "as I said". I take it English is a second language for you.

780 GRE verbal. No one says "as I said" in this context, especially not
in a paragraph with the word "ain't".

Old June 3rd 05, 07:45 PM

[...]

If they have then they won't stick again with a spare tire. You can't
have it both ways. Either it's a permanent one-use glue or it is a
tacky one that accepts resuse for changing a tire. The best glues
were available 30 years ago just as they are today. Glues for new
uses have been developed since but for reusable rim glues, there has
been no advance. Besides, hard glue for tires seem, from the
complaints on this NG, practically no longer available.

OK, so let's rephrase that:

If you inspect your used rims, you will see that the glue is full
of aluminum oxide, the grey color and that the base tape of the
tire has eroded the aluminum rim.

I have noticed taking VM-glued tires off and only seeing the white
glue, but I admit that doesn't mean anything. The real question is
whether the degree of squirm is as great as with the old glues.
Some squirm would produce some oxide; a quarter as much squirm might
produce the same amount of oxide if the tire was used 4x as long-
very, very difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions from the
presence of aluminum oxide without a very carefully controlled test
procedure.

Oh BS! There wasn't a wheel that was ridden in the local mountains
that didn't have significant creep on steep, hard braking descents.
If your tires come off lily white I doubt that you demand much from
your glue. What happens to your spares when they are folded? Does
the glue stick to itself and need to be pulled apart to open the tire
for mounting? This whole picture doesn't make sense.

They are not "Brown's comments' and the glues mentioned are
similar to other favorite brands.

Not according to recent testing. Those glues don't come close to
Conti or especially VM in strength.

This is the same old story we've been hearing every year throughout

the days when people still rode tubulars. It's only how much you
believe the ad copy.

I don't read ad copy, I don't buy cycling mags. Does anyone actually
advertise tubular glues? I am basing my "story" on the testing shown
at:

http://www.engr.ku.edu/~ktl/bicycle/bicycle.html

Selecting one of these items that harp on tire roll-off as if that
were the big threat, I find the temperature one most revealing in its
lack of field experience. Here again, tire roll-off is the thrust
rather than the more serious one of linear creep that piles the tire
up against the stem and causes a blowout. No mention of this is made,
indicating that these folks don't descent hard or have any idea of the
real hazard of tubulars that has plagues them for a long time.

In the days if yore, when many of the major Alpine passes were
unpaved, descending with continuous braking was the norm and caused
major tire creep. Beyond that, they talk of 70 degC when more than
100 degC is common. As I have related, steam hissing out of the stem
hole in the rim alerted me to the higher temperatures caused by
braking, after riding in snow for a longer distance.

There seems to be no mention of the re-usability of the glue on rim and
tire for mounting a spare. Hard glue of old did a better job than
these in that respect and they had no thermal sensitivity to speak of.
Heat was one of the main culprits in the usefulness of tubulars.

# TUBULAR TIRES: ADHESIVES AND PRACTICE
# PART 6
# Adhesive Performance at Higher Temperatures
# C. S. Chip

# On high speed descents, a rider may apply sufficient braking to heat
# the rims to high enough temperatures such that touching them would
# burn - nominally 60 oC (140 oF). While expert descenders may apply
# their brakes more prudently resulting in less heating, rims will
# still heat to temperatures substantially above ambient. Suppose a
# clincher tire is inflated to 100 lbf/in2 (gauge) at a temperature of
# 21 oC (70oF). If the tire temperature were to rise to 60 oC (140
# oF), the pressure would rise to 115 lbf/in2 (gauge) in the tire, a
# pressure rise of only 1 bar. This would not stress the tire/rim
# clinch assuming good condition of the tire and rim. The likelihood
# of a blowout due to over-pressure alone is nil.

# If a tubular tire is used and subject to the same heating, the
# pressure rise would be equivalent. However, the interface between
# the tire and the rim is no longer a rim hook and tire bead. The
# interface is an adhesive. So while the tubular is unlikely to
# blowout due to the temperature rise, if the adhesive properties
# change with temperature, the tire may be more prone to roll-off. If
# the high temperature is experienced during high-speed, curving
# descents which place severe lateral load on the adhesive and if the
# adhesive performance degrades, the likelihood of roll-off increases
# and this could lead to serious rider injury.

# Tubular tire - rim combinations are attractive for their light
# rotating mass and low weight. Riders will continue to select them
# because of these properties. Proper adhesive selection and proper
# application are necessary to minimize the potential for roll-off.
# Given the temperature rise due to braking during descents, the
# subsequent lateral stress placed on the adhesive bonds in corners
# and slides and the potential for serious injury to the rider, it is
# important for the mechanic to know how the adhesive will perform.

# The purpose of this article is to examine adhesive performance as a
# function of operating temperature. This is the sixth in a series of
# articles examining the proper use and the expected performance of
# various commercially available adhesives, rims and tires.

Unlike you, I have ridden tubulars almost exclusively for the last
30+ years.

Oh? How do you know how many years I rode tubulars?

I made no reference to how long you rode tubulars, I don't know how
many years you rode them, and I don't care. What I *do* know is
that you haven't ridden them with any regularity for about thirty
years, and I know this because you have told us this over and over
here on this NG.

You seem to gloss over your words "Unlike you..." I am sure I have
ridden at least as many tubulars in more conditions than you, judging
from your claims. Besides, the articles in the above web site should
mainly convince readers that they do not want to partake in these
arcane and time consuming rituals. I sense that they are trying to
say something useful while covering their liability, the latter being
the main thrust.

As I have mentioned, in the days when there were no useful racing
clinchers, I held Wednesday evening tubular repair sessions for the
local racers. The items in the FAQ on tubulars is all well tested.

The stuff in the FAQ is dated.

OH? Please let me know what isn't up to date? What has changes in
tubulars other than that some of them have no stitching and others use
adhesives that make them unrepairable.

[...]

I see you believe in the one-flat-per-ride theory... which is mainly
theoretical. When riding alone we always carries two spares on any
ride farther than we wanted to walk.

Form years of experience, most riders have at least two tires as
spares that resulted from a home repair while two other tires are
on the bicycle. Since most riders have more than one set of
wheels, there are at least two spares in reserve. I don't
visualize how you handle this but it seems hypothetical.

I have spare wheels; they don't have tires mounted on them. That
hasn't really been a need since I last raced years ago.

You mean... since I last rode actively... Racing has nothing to do
with this.

[...]

As long as it is a pressure sensitive glue it is also thermo plastic
and will creep on hot braking descents. As I have described, I used
thick cotton webbing soaked in epoxy as heat barriers on my rims to
prevent this. Just the same, insulation has only so much resistance
and in time heat comes through. I rode with heat barriers for many
years and still have two sets of these wheels gathering dust.

I can pull of a fully glued and inflated tire. So what?

I'd be willing to wager that if I carefully glued a tire on with VM
and pumped it up, you *couldn't* pull it off by hand, but, what the
hell, I'm sure there are people out there stronger than me that
could, and maybe you're one of them.

I don't think you've tried. If the tire is changeable on the road
when flat then it can be pushed off the rim with thumb pressure.

I don't think you know with what your are disagreeing. The
constriction force is correct and is valid for tubulars and
clinchers with bias ply cords. Just slow down a bit and review
what is being discussed.

You're right; I didn't read it- no need to: if it says that
constriction force acts to prevent a tubular from coming off the
rim, I'm sure it's right; if it purports to prove that it is the
only significant way that a tubular is held onto a rim, it is wrong,
and I know it is wrong because I have personal experience comparing
constriction force to VM glue as a way of holding the tire on the
rim. There is no doubt: the VM bond is stronger. No calculation,
however elegant, can be right if it does not describe reality.

Stop creating straw men!

In fact, your own testing years ago suggests that I may be right.
Just consider the possibility that a road glue may have been
developed that matches the bond strength of old track glue. If that
has happened, and the above referenced tests indicate that it has,
then everything that I have argued here follows from your own tests.

As I said, you cannot match that with a pressure sensitive glue. You
don't want to either, because the tire could not be changed in case of
a flat.

SO what is it that you don't believe?

I don't believe you know what you are talking about. I don't
believe you are capable of analyzing new data on this subject
because you have too much emotional investment in your old
experience with obsolete materials.

I would like to hear some factual data that supports your view of
tubular tire adhesion and replacement. It seems that you are only
willing to say my perspective is all wrong and old fashioned. It is
the tubular that is old fashioned.

I wouldn't be calling someone an "old fart" if I were you.

"Old fart" is a state of mind, not chronological years.

Ain't *that* the truth. Like I said.

aka "as I said". I take it English is a second language for you.

780 GRE verbal. No one says "as I said" in this context, especially
not in a paragraph with the word "ain't".

I think you know not of what you speak. You don't understand the
difference between "like" and "as".

Old June 3rd 05, 09:13 PM
Sandy

Dans le message de ,
réfléchi, et puis a déclaré :

Ain't *that* the truth. Like I said.

aka "as I said". I take it English is a second language for you.

780 GRE verbal. No one says "as I said" in this context, especially
not in a paragraph with the word "ain't".

I think you know not of what you speak. You don't understand the
difference between "like" and "as".

Please stop trying to act as though you were exceptionally literate. Were
English not only your first language (?), but had you also mastered it, I
would not have read the innumerable errors in your text which I have
excised, to spare others. Spell checking may help you, but a correctly
spelled but inapt word is something you failed to correct several times in
this exchange.

I remember calling your attention once before to your inability to
distinguish conversational (and transcribed) colloquial English from grammar
book paradigms. Were the great authors of the language of Shakespeare not
able to twist the "rules" to masterful effect, we would only have a lot of
technical writers to read for pleasure.

BTW, you seem not to have brought forward your extensive experience in
rigorous testing and evaluating either tubular or clincher tires for the
last two decades. I, for one, would enjoy being enlightened by the results
you have obtained on the hundreds of both types of tires. I think that
SocSec would no longer doubt the raw and assembled data himself. He could
even rise to an admission, should we get to read your recnt research.
--
Bonne route,

Sandy
Verneuil-sur-Seine FR

PS : have you had the opportunity to digest the frame stiffness testing
clippings I sent you ? I'd like your reaction to them, if you find time.

Old June 3rd 05, 10:42 PM

wrote:
someone sniped anonymously:
So which is it? Have they or have they not changed "all that much"?
Since I happen to think that the data supports the latter, I will
grant you this: they may not be the best glues to use for a spare
tire. That would match my experience that the contact cement method
of gluing tires that you recommend does not create the strongest
bond with VM.

If they have then they won't stick again with a spare tire.

I said, "the contact cement method of gluing tires that you recommend
does not create the strongest bond with VM". I did *not* say that it
will not create any bond. And I agree with you on something else: that
inflation constriction provides a significant force to keep tires on
tubular rims. Not the best, but adequate for my riding. I have stated
before that I don't worry about it that much on a rear tire.

You can't have it both ways.

You're constructing a false dichotomy.

Either it's a permanent one-use glue or it is a
tacky one that accepts resuse for changing a tire.

Or maybe something in between.

The best glues
were available 30 years ago just as they are today.

No, they weren't. VM was not and I don't believe Conti was either.

Glues for new
uses have been developed since but for reusable rim glues, there has
been no advance.

You really have no idea, and absolutely no evidence to support this
statement. You have pulled it out of thin air.

I have noticed taking VM-glued tires off and only seeing the white
glue, but I admit that doesn't mean anything. The real question is
whether the degree of squirm is as great as with the old glues.
Some squirm would produce some oxide; a quarter as much squirm might
produce the same amount of oxide if the tire was used 4x as long-
very, very difficult to draw any meaningful conclusions from the
presence of aluminum oxide without a very carefully controlled test
procedure.

Oh BS! There wasn't a wheel that was ridden in the local mountains
that didn't have significant creep on steep, hard braking descents.
If your tires come off lily white I doubt that you demand much from
your glue.

OR, THEY DON'T SQUIRM THAT MUCH! (Or they weren't on that long before
they had to be pulled off.)

What happens to your spares when they are folded?

Depends.

Does
the glue stick to itself and need to be pulled apart to open the tire
for mounting? This whole picture doesn't make sense.

I already told you that I use new tires for spares sometimes. I *don't*
specifically pre-glue spares; I depend on "inflation constriction" and
rim glue to get me home, and maybe old glue on the tire.

http://www.engr.ku.edu/~ktl/bicycle/bicycle.html

Selecting one of these items that harp on tire roll-off as if that
were the big threat, I find the temperature one most revealing in its
lack of field experience. Here again, tire roll-off is the thrust
rather than the more serious one of linear creep that piles the tire
up against the stem and causes a blowout. No mention of this is made,
indicating that these folks don't descent hard or have any idea of the
real hazard of tubulars that has plagues them for a long time.

Force to roll off a tire is simply a way to measure bond strength. If
the glue retains as much bond strength as other glues have when cold,
it doesn't matter which direction the force is applied to measure bond
strength. It will not be able to creep anymore than it will be able to
roll off. Or, are you suggesting that these glues are directional in
their strength, like some kind of carbon fiber glue?

I think their testing is valid, and can be extrapolated to the
conditions you are worried about. You certainly have no data to the
contrary and I think your criticism is the last resort of a person who
has nothing left of substance to stand on.

In the days if yore, when many of the major Alpine passes were
unpaved, descending with continuous braking was the norm and caused
major tire creep. Beyond that, they talk of 70 degC when more than
100 degC is common. As I have related, steam hissing out of the stem
hole in the rim alerted me to the higher temperatures caused by
braking, after riding in snow for a longer distance.

This is not the days of yore. Nevertheless, if their testing shows
improved bonding at 70C it is probably still stronger than your old
glues at 100C. But I will keep your advice in mind the next time I am
descending unpaved Alpine roads and make sure that my bike is equipped
with a disc brake.

# TUBULAR TIRES: ADHESIVES AND PRACTICE
# PART 6
# Adhesive Performance at Higher Temperatures
# C. S. Chip

(snipped background info)

# Proper adhesive selection and proper
# application are necessary to minimize the potential for roll-off.
# Given the temperature rise due to braking during descents, the
# subsequent lateral stress placed on the adhesive bonds in corners
# and slides and the potential for serious injury to the rider, it is
# important for the mechanic to know how the adhesive will perform.

Exactly. So don't use your old glues, use VM. It is the only logical
choice for someone who has found tire creep to be an issue in their
descending.

Unlike you, I have ridden tubulars almost exclusively for the last
30+ years.

Oh? How do you know how many years I rode tubulars?

I made no reference to how long you rode tubulars, I don't know how
many years you rode them, and I don't care. What I *do* know is
that you haven't ridden them with any regularity for about thirty
years, and I know this because you have told us this over and over
here on this NG.

You seem to gloss over your words "Unlike you..."

No, that was a comment on our relative experience with tubulars during
the period in which these new glues were introduced. Your experience
with the old glues is irrelevant.

I am sure I have
ridden at least as many tubulars in more conditions than you, judging
from your claims.

Irrelevant experience, because it is not contemporary. In fact, worse
than irrelvant, because you think you are experienced, but your
experience is obsolete.

Besides, the articles in the above web site should
mainly convince readers that they do not want to partake in these
arcane and time consuming rituals. I sense that they are trying to
say something useful while covering their liability, the latter being
the main thrust.

The papers appear to me to be academic in nature.

OH? Please let me know what isn't up to date?

A. The glues referenced.
B. The gluing method.

What has changes in
tubulars other than that some of them have no stitching and others use
adhesives that make them unrepairable.

It's not the tires, it's the glues.

I see you believe in the one-flat-per-ride theory... which is mainly
theoretical.

It's not a question of theory, it's one of probability.

When riding alone we always carries two spares on any
ride farther than we wanted to walk.

For the once-every-fifteen-years probability, I will deal with it when
it happens rather than try to strap on an extra tubular for that long
shot (unless I win the lottery in which case I gotta figure something
about my luck is changing).

I have spare wheels; they don't have tires mounted on them. That
hasn't really been a need since I last raced years ago.

You mean... since I last rode actively... Racing has nothing to do
with this.

Hell, I rode 165 miles in the last week. And, of course racing has
something to do with this- you train on different wheel/tire sets from
those on which you race. Now there is no race, so no special wheelsets.

Given that VM is a relatively new glue, and proven that at high rim
temperatures is retains more strength than the old glues did at
optimal temperatures, it is clear that it *has* changed.

As long as it is a pressure sensitive glue it is also thermo plastic
and will creep on hot braking descents.

So all thermo plastic materials have the exact same temperature
sensitivity and exhibit that plasticity at the same temperature?

As I have described, I used
thick cotton webbing soaked in epoxy as heat barriers on my rims to
prevent this. Just the same, insulation has only so much resistance
and in time heat comes through. I rode with heat barriers for many
years and still have two sets of these wheels gathering dust.

Gathering dust is probably a good use for them.

I don't think you've tried. If the tire is changeable on the road
when flat then it can be pushed off the rim with thumb pressure.

As I have said before here, it is not really changeable on the road
after a flat without some kind of tool to pry the tire off the rim, at
least enough to get your hand under it. I have used I small allen
wrench which a was able to work under the tire and then use it to pry
up more of the tire.

So, yes, I have tried. If I can get it off with my hands, I did not do
a good job of gluing the tire.

Stop creating straw men!

You first! That story about tubular glue resisting the heat of braking
on unpaved Alpine roads in the 60s is a strawman if I ever heard of
one.

I would like to hear some factual data that supports your view of
tubular tire adhesion and replacement.

The data is in the studies I referenced.

It seems that you are only
willing to say my perspective is all wrong and old fashioned. It is
the tubular that is old fashioned.

It apparently, nevertheless, still presents the best weight and rolling
resistance available, despite your testing with Avocet.

I think you know not of what you speak. You don't understand the
difference between "like" and "as".

I think you don't understand the difference between colloquial and
"proper" English. Actually, no, I don't think that. I think that you're
making this pointless criticism because you got nothin' else.

Old June 4th 05, 07:07 AM
Michael Press

In article
. com,

[...]

You disparage a paper that _you_ cited. I copy the initial portion
of the posted message that you used to cite the paper
that you disparage.

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Subject: Cleaning Glue off of Tire Sidewalls?