15 year old tires - any life left in 'em?

Old July 11th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Default 15 year old tires - any life left in 'em?

On 2008-07-10, Tom Kunich cyclintom@yahoo wrote:
"A Muzi" wrote in message
Tom Kunich wrote:

I agree with your tire sizes but it is a whole lot easier to obtain
23's
instead of 25's.

That's true.
And size 37 shoes are often available at reduced price, too.
I'm with Art here.

The difference here is that the 23 tires will work fine with 120 psi
whereas
the size 37 shoes don't even hold my cutoff toe.

I think that was Andy's point: buy the tire that matches your size. Just
because it's cheaper or more readily available doesn't mean it's the
right tire for you.

How much difference do you think there is between a 23 and a 25?

2 millimeters.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 11th 08, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Kunich

On 2008-07-10, Tom Kunich cyclintom@yahoo wrote:
"A Muzi" wrote in message
Tom Kunich wrote:

I agree with your tire sizes but it is a whole lot easier to obtain
23's
instead of 25's.

That's true.
And size 37 shoes are often available at reduced price, too.
I'm with Art here.

The difference here is that the 23 tires will work fine with 120 psi
whereas
the size 37 shoes don't even hold my cutoff toe.

I think that was Andy's point: buy the tire that matches your size. Just
because it's cheaper or more readily available doesn't mean it's the
right tire for you.

How much difference do you think there is between a 23 and a 25?

2 millimeters.

Ever actually measured them Tom?

Old July 11th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

On 2008-07-10, Tom Kunich cyclintom@yahoo wrote:
"A Muzi" wrote in message
Tom Kunich wrote:

I agree with your tire sizes but it is a whole lot easier to
obtain 23's
instead of 25's.

That's true.
And size 37 shoes are often available at reduced price, too.
I'm with Art here.

The difference here is that the 23 tires will work fine with 120
psi whereas
the size 37 shoes don't even hold my cutoff toe.

I think that was Andy's point: buy the tire that matches your size.
Just
because it's cheaper or more readily available doesn't mean it's the
right tire for you.

How much difference do you think there is between a 23 and a 25?

2 millimeters.

Ever actually measured them Tom?

See
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.mountain-bike/browse_frm/thread/908c52cb3b17072e/c1ae7c0a1d0b4150?hl=en&tvc=1&q=12k+15k+3k#c1ae7c0a 1d0b4150.

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 11th 08, 04:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Kunich

Tom Kunich wrote:

Ever actually measured them Tom?

See
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.mountain-bike/browse_frm/thread/908c52cb3b17072e/c1ae7c0a1d0b4150?hl=en&tvc=1&q=12k+15k+3k#c1ae7c0a 1d0b4150.

Eh?

I've measured 23s between 20 and 24. I've measured 25s between 22 and 25.
And a set of high end 28's at 24.

So don't be really sure about the size of a tire because of what's written
on it.

Old July 11th 08, 04:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Tom Kunich wrote:

Ever actually measured them Tom?

See
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.mountain-bike/browse_frm/thread/908c52cb3b17072e/c1ae7c0a1d0b4150?hl=en&tvc=1&q=12k+15k+3k#c1ae7c0a 1d0b4150.

Eh?

Notice the similarity in discussions?

I've measured 23s between 20 and 24. I've measured 25s between 22 and
25. And a set of high end 28's at 24.

So don't be really sure about the size of a tire because of what's
written on it.

Hint - What does the "" emoticon mean?

"People who had no mercy will find none." - Anon.
Old July 11th 08, 07:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
A Muzi

Tom Kunich wrote:
I agree with your tire sizes but it is a whole lot easier to obtain
23's instead of 25's.

"A Muzi" wrote

Tom Kunich cyclintom@yahoo wrote:
The difference here is that the 23 tires will work fine with 120 psi
whereas
the size 37 shoes don't even hold my cutoff toe.

"John Thompson" wrote

Tom Kunich wrote:
How much difference do you think there is between a 23 and a 25?

Not much. uh, 1mm on each side?
The extra volume seems to last longer under big guys at a very small
weight penalty and same price. Kinder on rims too - not everyone watches
their inflation as carefully you do.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/