bicycle

Old May 12th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
sweet&soft

Default bicycle

For other uses, see Bicycle (disambiguation).
This article uses American English. See talk page for more
information.
The bicycle, cycle or bike, is a pedal-driven, human-powered vehicle
with two wheels attached to a frame, one behind the other.

First introduced in 19th-century Europe, bicycles now number
approximately one billion worldwide,[1] providing the principle means
of transportation in many regions. They also provide a popular form of
recreation, and have been adapted for use in many other fields of
human activity, including children's toys, adult fitness, military and
police applications, courier services, and cycle sports.

The basic shape and configuration of a typical bicycle has hardly
changed since the first chain-driven model was developed around 1885,
[2] although many important details have been improved, especially
since the advent of modern materials and computer-aided design. These
have allowed for a proliferation of specialized designs for particular
types of cycling.

The bicycle has had a considerable effect on human society, in both
the cultural and industrial realms. In its early years, bicycle
construction drew on pre-existing technologies; more recently, bicycle
technology has, in turn, contributed both to old and new areas.

http//redflowerren.blogspot.com

Old May 12th 08, 08:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

On May 12, 9:14 am, "sweet&soft" wrote:
For other uses, see Bicycle (disambiguation).

duh
Old May 13th 08, 03:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

=v= OMG! We need to completely rewrite the FAQ!!!111oneoneone
_Jym_

Old May 17th 08, 09:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
"sweet&soft" writes:

The bicycle, cycle or bike, is a pedal-driven, human-powered vehicle
with two wheels attached to a frame, one behind the other.

I've come to think of bicycles more as a bunch of
ball bearings allowing people to glide around with
greatly reduced friction; the ball bearings are
contained within a support system/interface which
affords the rider control over their vector and
acceleration.

I also like to think of bicycles as "land canoes"
but maybe that's too romantic.

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 17th 08, 06:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

On May 12, 10:14*am, "sweet&soft" wrote:
For other uses, see Bicycle (disambiguation).
*This article uses American English. See talk page for more
information.
The bicycle, cycle or bike, is a pedal-driven, human-powered vehicle
with two wheels attached to a frame, one behind the other.

I don't think I've ever seen a bike with two frames.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
Old May 17th 08, 06:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

On May 17, 4:14*am, (Tom Keats) wrote:

I also like to think of bicycles as "land canoes"

Now that's almost enough to put me off cycling. A canoe strikes me as
an improved model of an Iron Maiden.

John Kane Kingston ON Canada
(who does not bend well)
Old May 17th 08, 08:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Ryan Cousineau

In article
,

http://flickr.com/photos/20919464@N00/75967651/

Old May 18th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

I don't think I've ever seen a bike with two frames.
http://flickr.com/photos/20919464@N00/75967651/

=v= To which I might very well respond:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jym/2466223251/

=v= As long as I'm on the topic of DIY, another way to
go with two frames is ... up:

http://www.dclxvi.org/chunk/meet/cho...all/index.html

Here's an even simpler no-weld tallbike design that I
stumbled across in Amsterdam:

http://squat.net/art/weetwee/

_Jym_