Reliable rear bike rack for 2000 VW Golf?

Old July 6th 08, 11:46 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.bicycles.misc
Outfoors

Default Reliable rear bike rack for 2000 VW Golf?

Hi,

I have a 2000 VW Golf, road and a mountain bike.

I need to buy a reliable rear bike rack. There are many models on the
market and I can't make a decision.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend something specific.

Thank you in advance
Old July 7th 08, 03:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.bicycles.misc

In rec.bicycles.misc Outfoors wrote:
Hi,

I have a 2000 VW Golf, road and a mountain bike.

I need to buy a reliable rear bike rack. There are many models on the
market and I can't make a decision.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend something specific.

Probably the two brands with the best reputations would be Thule and
Yakima.
One brand that I would definitely recommend *AVOIDING* is "Byke Ryder."
I had one of their racks break on me once, nearly dumping three bikes on a
freeway, in a construction zone, at rush hour.

Bill

__o | Reason has seldom failed us because it has seldom been tried.
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) | --Edward Abbey

Old July 7th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled,rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Outfoors wrote:
Hi,

I have a 2000 VW Golf, road and a mountain bike.

I need to buy a reliable rear bike rack. There are many models on the
market and I can't make a decision.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend something specific.

Thank you in advance

Get a 1.25" hitch for the Golf
("http://www.etrailer.com/hitch-2000_Volkswagen_Golf.htm") then a
XPORT Flatbed 2-Bike Hitch Rack from Performance,
"http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=22745&item=40-3559&slitrk=search&slisearch=true".