Campy Record Bottom Bracket Spacer

Old October 4th 03, 05:56 PM
tomgaul

Default Campy Record Bottom Bracket Spacer

I need to know how and where to install the spacers I was told I needed
because I'm using the 11-21 cassette. So far all I know is they/it need
to be installed on the chain ring side of the bottom bracket. I removed
the cranks from the bottom bracket and the bottom bracket from the
frame. I recieved two spacers one is about 1mm and the other is 2.5mm
the diameter is too small to fit over the threaded area of the chain
ring side so I don't have any directions to do this. At this time all I
can think is these might be the wrong size(diameter) for the Italian
threaded frame. Any one done a Campy build and used these. Tom Gaul

--
2003 Coppi KSC/Record
1985 C'dale R900 C Record

Old October 5th 03, 03:02 PM
Qui si parla Campagnolo

Tom Gaul- I need to know how and where to install the spacers I was told I
needed
because I'm using the 11-21 cassette. So far all I know is they/it need
to be installed on the chain ring side of the bottom bracket. BRBR

No spacer needed because you are using any certain casette in the rear. If the
small ring hits your chainstay, then something else is amiss. There is nothing
about a casette that would necessitate a spacer under a BB cup.

Tom Gaul- I recieved two spacers one is about 1mm and the other is 2.5mm
the diameter is too small to fit over the threaded area of the chain
ring side so I don't have any directions to do this. At this time all I
can think is these might be the wrong size(diameter) for the Italian
threaded frame. Any one done a Campy build and used these. Tom Gaul

No spacers are supplied by Campagnolo for a Campagnolo BB....

--
2003 Coppi KSC/Record
1985 C'dale R900 C Record
1984 Lotus Prestige Nouvo Record

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com
Old October 6th 03, 10:02 PM
Lee

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" wrote in message
[...]

Branford lists these spacers, but IIRC, only for British threaded frames.
Why do you think you need them?

If your crankset is not out of alignment with your cassette, you *don't*
need them. And with an Italian threaded frame, the question may be moot
anyway.

Lee

Old October 8th 03, 02:35 AM
Gary Young

tomgaul wrote in message ...
I need to know how and where to install the spacers I was told I needed
because I'm using the 11-21 cassette. So far all I know is they/it need
to be installed on the chain ring side of the bottom bracket. I removed
the cranks from the bottom bracket and the bottom bracket from the
frame. I recieved two spacers one is about 1mm and the other is 2.5mm
the diameter is too small to fit over the threaded area of the chain
ring side so I don't have any directions to do this. At this time all I
can think is these might be the wrong size(diameter) for the Italian
threaded frame. Any one done a Campy build and used these. Tom Gaul

Are you sure the spacers are meant for the bottom bracket? I don't
really know about Campagnolo hubs and cassettes, but with Shimano you
sometimes need to use a spacer on the hub, for instance to put a
narrowish 7-speed cassette on a wider 9-speed hub.
Old October 17th 03, 05:57 AM
tomgaul

Thanks for the replys, I din't check back right away thinking I got this
problem taken care of. I now know that the spacer is needed between the
right side of the BB and the cup to move the cahin rings to the right
for proper alignment of the chainrings to the cassette, apparently only
when using the 39 - 11 combination. The chain will rub on the inside of
the 53, once I shift to the 12 it's okay. Right now I have a 1.5mm
spacer in place but I'm still getting the rub. I'm going to email Campy
and see what they think. The distributer is supposed to send me two 1mm
spacers to see if that will work.

Old October 17th 03, 06:35 AM
Sheldon Brown

tomgaul wrote:
Thanks for the replys, I din't check back right away thinking I got this
problem taken care of. I now know that the spacer is needed between the
right side of the BB and the cup to move the cahin rings to the right
for proper alignment of the chainrings to the cassette, apparently only
when using the 39 - 11 combination. The chain will rub on the inside of
the 53, once I shift to the 12 it's okay. Right now I have a 1.5mm
spacer in place but I'm still getting the rub. I'm going to email Campy
and see what they think. The distributer is supposed to send me two 1mm
spacers to see if that will work.

You should never, ever, under any circumstances be using the 39/11
combination.

It's generally abusive to ride in the small/small combination, but
especially so when there's an 11 tooth involved. There's nothing wrong
with your bike.

If you do space out the BB to make the useless 39/11 gear usable, you'll
cause deterioration on some of the more useful combinations involving
the big chainring.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/gears.html

Sheldon "It Ain't Broke" Brown
+-----------------------------------+
| Habit is the nursery of errors. |
| --Victor Hugo |
+-----------------------------------+
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old October 17th 03, 11:12 PM
Robert Strickland

You should never, ever, under any circumstances be using the 39/11
combination.

It's generally abusive to ride in the small/small combination, but
especially so when there's an 11 tooth involved. There's nothing wrong
with your bike.

If you do space out the BB to make the useless 39/11 gear usable, you'll
cause deterioration on some of the more useful combinations involving
the big chainring.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/gears.html

Sheldon "It Ain't Broke" Brown

I've heard it said many times that the small/small combination is a no-no
but what makes it worse when an 11 tooth is involved?

Rob "Just Curious" Strickland

Old October 18th 03, 03:18 AM
Carl Fogel

"Robert Strickland" wrote in message ...
You should never, ever, under any circumstances be using the 39/11
combination.

It's generally abusive to ride in the small/small combination, but
especially so when there's an 11 tooth involved. There's nothing wrong
with your bike.

If you do space out the BB to make the useless 39/11 gear usable, you'll
cause deterioration on some of the more useful combinations involving
the big chainring.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/gears.html

Sheldon "It Ain't Broke" Brown

I've heard it said many times that the small/small combination is a no-no
but what makes it worse when an 11 tooth is involved?

Rob "Just Curious" Strickland

Dear Rob,

Just guessing, but the initial problem is the chain is angled
between the inside front chain-ring and the outside rear cog.

The sideways pull presumably increases wear on any size cog.

The poor 11-tooth is the smallest widely available cog, so
each of its teeth wears at a rate of 1/11 or 9.1% of the wear,
noticeably more rapidly than the teeth on larger gears--a
12-tooth cog distributes its wear over a dozen teeth at a rate
of 1/12 or 8.33% per tooth, a 13-tooth at 1/13 or 7.7%, and
so on.

This is why my heavily used front 53-tooth chain-ring outlasts
my hideously overused 11-tooth rear cog--the wear is spread out
over more teeth (at shallower angles, too). Normal riders use
other rear cogs far more than I do, spreading the wear out over
up to 10 rear cogs, so I'm a bit sensitive about this.

A simpler way to look at such figures is that each tooth on the
11-tooth bears almost 10% more of the stress than a tooth on
a 12-tooth cog--not just when the chain is pulled over at an
awkward angle, but in all operations.

Added to this is problem that the chain enters, wraps around,
and exits from the 11-tooth cog more sharply than from larger
cogs.

A final problem is that the load on an 11-tooth is likely to be
higher, gear mashing.

A 12-tooth would last longer under such severe cross-chaining,
but would still be abused. So, to a lesser extent, is the opposite
large-large cross-chaining. And the chain doesn't like to be
bent sideways under load like that, either.

Plus, there's often an annoying noise.

If nothing else, this may provoke more informed explanations.

Carl Fogel
Old October 18th 03, 04:03 AM
Sheldon Brown

I prescribed:

You should never, ever, under any circumstances be using the 39/11
combination.

It's generally abusive to ride in the small/small combination, but
especially so when there's an 11 tooth involved. There's nothing wrong
with your bike.

If you do space out the BB to make the useless 39/11 gear usable, you'll
cause deterioration on some of the more useful combinations involving
the big chainring.

See: http://sheldonbrown.com/gears.html

Rob "Just Curious" Strickland asked:

I've heard it said many times that the small/small combination is a no-no
but what makes it worse when an 11 tooth is involved?

The large/large and small/small combinations both suffer from poor chain
alignment, but the small/small combination has more severe problems:

The smaller chainring in front creates a stronger pull on the chain for
a given amount of pedal force.

The smallest rear sprocket shares that increased pull among fewer teeth
and chain rollers, leading to a high concentration of the load.

With an 11 tooth sprocket, you're lucky to have 5 teeth actually
engaging the chain at any time, 6 at the very most.

The smaller both sprockets are, the more damaging the small/small gear
combination is both to the sprockets and the chain.

Generally, with double chainring setups, it is best to avoid the
small/small gear combination, but when there's an 11 or 12 tooth
involved (or a triple chainwheel in front) riding in that combination
constitutes actual abuse of the equpiment.

Sheldon "Straight And Narrow" Brown
| The poet Henry O'Meara (1848-1904) was my great-grandfather |
| I've put his book "Ballads of America and Other Poems" |
| on the Web at: http://sheldonbrown.com/omeara |