Handlebar Drops

Old November 16th 07, 12:05 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mouse

Default Handlebar Drops

So, I had the problem this summer riding RAGBRAI on my nimbus 36" of
headwinds. Being 6 or 7 feet straight up sucked. I tried several
different ways to get down into the T7 handle but all led to
discomfort. I let this go and took it as learning somethign from the
experience. Fast forward to today. I realized something while helping
my friend rebuild his fixie and rushed to our favorite bike
shop....here are the results.

I really like the position and shape of these bars. They offer more
stability because they extend further out laterally. Also they are
lower and provide more of an aero position for battling winds. Updates
to come as I ride it further like this. I've only ridden it about 1.5
miles from the LBS back to the apartment. The image quality sucks as
per the usual with my camera...but all other comments or thoughts would
be lovely

|Filename: IMG00005.JPG |

mouse

Originally Posted by johnfoss
Yes, being old makes you stupid.

Originally Posted by jerrick
I think we should get off the topic off kinky/horny girls and
unicycles, and back to creepy horny men.

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 16th 07, 01:14 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mark williamson

Default T7 Handle....Indiana style (with drops)

Looks interesting... Are you worried that you might catch your feet on
them during UPD though? How did you put it together? All off the
shelf components?

Have you considered looking at making more conventional "drops"? E.g
get some longish curved bar ends and bolt them onto the horns of the T7
facing downwards (and a bit outwards). Seems like it could be
interesting...

--
mark williamson

Dave: Just a question. What use is a unicyle with no seat? And no
pedals!
Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 16th 07, 01:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mouse

I basically went into the parts bin of our bike shop and built it from
scrap. The bars are standard steel bars and there is no label on the
headset part but its basically flipped backwards so it will fit on the
T7 unshimmed. The only thing to watch for is that you make sure the
headset stem is zero angle. If its not, when you flip it around and
mount it all, the bars will be angled crooked. This isnt good .

I haven't had any issues with UPDing from the front in the time Ive
been playing with this between posts but the bars are short so I
wouldn't snag them as easily. Just kick the feet out a bit if I feel
like I'm going to UPD forward. My personal seat angle usually always
makes me UPD backwards. I considered standard drops but they would
come out too far for me to be comfortable with them even though I dont
UPD frontwards. The short bars give me a bit of assurance that if I
ever did go off the front I wouldnt get caught up Ive experimented
with the bar ends idea but I was never happy with thwe results. They
just weren't low or wide enough to get down out of the wind and/or give
enough control (wide parts there). The wider the bars are on my uni,
the better control I seem to have with them laterally

Old November 16th 07, 05:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
markf

looks awesome. if you come again next year i'll have to give it a shot.
(this is mark, the tall blonde guy with the pony tail who wasn't there
for a few days) *waves*

--
markf

'my Des Moines Iowa Bike Shop' (http://www.irwinsbikes.com)
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 16th 07, 06:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Seager

It'll probably take some getting used to, but I'd like to see you ride
it this year. It might be hard on your wrists since it's straight and
not angled like the T7 and GB4.

You going to ever switch to clipless pedals?

--
Seager

'The GreyMatter Jugglers' (http://www.greymatterjugglers.com) | 'Team
RoadShow' (http://www.teamroadshow.com) | 'Unexpected Failure
Productions' (http://www.unexpectedfailure.com) | 'Moab'
(http://tinyurl.com/9fxuv)
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 16th 07, 01:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mouse

I dont plan on going clipless in the long run. I tried a pair on my 24"
and it was a little intense for me. Joe did buy a pair of speedplay
frogs and he may be riding on them by next year

Also, one of our other unicyclists is considering RAGBRAI with us but
may not be riding the entire route on a unicycle. His plan is to ride
a 12 inch childs bike (geared up to 24 or 26 gear inches) with a huge
seatpost, tall handlebars and a nicer saddle. He picked it up a few
weeks ago and started doing some work on it and we're riding a 40 mile
trip this weekend with him.

Old November 16th 07, 02:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
goldenchicken III

mouse wrote:
My personal seat angle usually always makes me UPD backwards.

Really? I have never UPDed backwards (except when I was learning how to
ride). I always have to take a giant leap off and in front of the
Nimbus. I think I would be a tiny bit worried that a foot or knee would
bash into the horisontal handle bar. I will be interested in reading
about your forthcoming experience.

--
goldenchicken III
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 16th 07, 04:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mouse

I've been riding it a bit more today and forced myself to hop off the
front in the grass as to not kill the cycle. The results were nice.
The bars are short enough to allow my legs around them normally and
they are high enough up off of the wheel t hat I won't get my upper
legs snagged in them. I'm fairly pleased. It will take a bit more
riding to completely get used to them but we're doing a 40 mile ride on
Saturday and I'll do a write up on it then.

Drops benjaug Unicycling 3 September 13th 06 07:57 AM
dx drops natiag Unicycling 11 September 1st 06 11:56 AM
How do you get the b*lls to do drops? trials_uni Unicycling 33 May 20th 06 06:07 PM
drops pauly Mountain Biking 6 July 25th 05 04:04 PM
End of drops. Kenneth Clements UK 7 November 23rd 03 06:30 PM