Cycling for amputee

Old August 12th 03, 12:23 AM
Zoot Katz

Default Cycling for amputee

11 Aug 2003 15:40:52 -0700, , Jym Dyer
wrote:

=v= Say, I met another guy up there in Vancouver (Don?) who
bikes with a prosthetic leg. Last August he biked down to
Portland, Oregon for BikeSummer.
_Jym_

Donald's got both his legs but they aren't the same length due to a
childhood accident that also left his calves about the same size as
his forearms. His boots are custom made $1500 orthopedic specials.

Not only did he bike down to Portland, he rode a sixty pound
frankenbike towing a steel trailer with a steel steamer trunk sitting
on 2" lumber deck, beer cooler, battery and boom box.
--
zk
Old August 17th 03, 03:51 PM
Eric

He was also featured in the documentary _Pedal_ a few years back.
Nothing special about his bike, other than having only one pedal
necessary.

"Don DeMair" wrote in message ...
There is a one-legged bicycle courier named Dexter Benjamin who works in New
York city. He was spotlighted in a story in Bicycling magazine a while ago.
His story is inspirational and if you do a search, I think you'll find
information on the kind of bike he rides (I believe it's a fixed gear).

I did Bike New York a few years ago and I saw an amputee on a bike. It may
have been Dexter, but I don't really know.

Ride on, there's no reason not to,
Don

"JerZ Fox" wrote in message
I'm a nurse in a subacute-rehab facility. One of my patients recently had

BKA (below the knee amputation) and he asked if he could ride a bike once

he
learned how to use his prosthesis. I told him there was no reason I knew

of
why he couldn't but he might need some modifications to the bike and/or

his
riding style. He doesn't want an adult trike.

Any suggestions?

Diana B., LPN
Diva Nurse

The JerZ Fox