Mat for indoor trainer

Old February 11th 13, 06:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
OccasionalFlyer

Default Mat for indoor trainer

For riding indoors on a trainer, does the mat underneath make a difference? I can buy a fairly cheap rubber mat that is basically a runner that one would put on carpet, or a more expensive one that is thicker from the local sporting goods store. Will I likely notice any difference between them? I used to use a different trainer in the garage and didn't think about a mat but on tile indoors I need to do something. Thanks.

Ken
Old February 11th 13, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Feb 11, 10:37*am, OccasionalFlyer wrote:
* For riding indoors on a trainer, does the mat underneath make a difference? I can buy a fairly cheap rubber mat that is basically a runner that one would put on carpet, or a more expensive one that is thicker from the local sporting goods store. *Will I likely notice any difference between them? *I used to use a different trainer in the garage and didn't think about a mat but on tile indoors I need to do something. Thanks.

Ken

With ceramic tile, you should be concerned with point-loading,
particularly if you do not have a really rigid sub-floor. If I had
any concerns about the rigidity of the floor or the durability of the
tile, I would rip some plywood to put under the trainer and put the
plywood on something to protect the tile, like a simple vinyl
runner.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old February 11th 13, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Op 11-2-2013 19:37, OccasionalFlyer schreef:
For riding indoors on a trainer, does the mat underneath make a difference? I can buy a fairly cheap rubber mat that is basically a runner that one would put on carpet, or a more expensive one that is thicker from the local sporting goods store. Will I likely notice any difference between them? I used to use a different trainer in the garage and didn't think about a mat but on tile indoors I need to do something. Thanks.

Ken

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/accessories/resistance-trainer/product/review-lemond-fitness-revolution-trainer-including-shimano-105-cassette-42699#user_reviews

Lou
Old February 12th 13, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Monday, February 11, 2013 1:37:10 PM UTC-5, OccasionalFlyer wrote:
For riding indoors on a trainer, does the mat underneath make a difference? I can buy a fairly cheap rubber mat that is basically a runner that one would put on carpet, or a more expensive one that is thicker from the local sporting goods store. Will I likely notice any difference between them? I used to use a different trainer in the garage and didn't think about a mat but on tile indoors I need to do something. Thanks.

Ken

**********

HOME DEPOT may sell runners/foam backers and underlayment or plywood.
Old February 12th 13, 01:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
OccasionalFlyer

Thanks for all this input. The tile in our condo is on a concrete slab but I hadn't thought about load on the tiles. I was only thinking of protecting those from being scratched or something. This is very helpful. There's no carpet anywhere, as the previous owner smoked and tore out the rug in order to sell the unit.

Ken
Old February 12th 13, 01:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
gpsman

On Feb 11, 8:31*pm, OccasionalFlyer wrote:
Thanks for all this input. *The tile in our condo is on a concrete slab but I hadn't thought about load on the tiles.

Shouldn't be an issue unless the tile setter was incompetent... so
it's likely to be an issue if your building is newer than ~1970, when
the last of the journeymen tile setters were driven from the biz by
fiberglass shower/tub inserts.

Today, if you have hands and legs and eyes, you're already a tile
setter, so you got that going for you...
-----

- gpsman

Indoor Trainer??? Gags Australia 2 May 14th 06 10:34 PM
Looking for indoor trainer hgoh Australia 7 September 14th 05 04:02 AM
New indoor trainer... GPLama Australia 4 May 15th 05 03:13 PM
1 Up USA indoor trainer Guy Marketplace 1 February 19th 05 03:50 AM
Which indoor trainer Marcus I. Valdes Techniques 7 August 12th 04 10:14 PM