To lube new brake/gear cables?

Old June 9th 04, 06:10 PM
JackGuest-com

Default To lube new brake/gear cables?

Hi all

I've recently put a new gear cable onto my bike (detailed in previou
posts) and I'm currently putting a new rear brake cable on too

My question is whether/how to lube these new cables

I lubed the inner cables (shot down the hole) when I fitted the gea
cable and also lubed the outer cable using a thick 'cycle grease wit
teflon' (red stuff from halfords) - I basically just applied a thin coa
using my fingers

What I've just noticed though is that lots of grit/little twigs etc hav
stuck to the outter gear cable because of the lube

So, should I lube the outter cable of my new back brake cable in th
same way or not

Many thanks

Jac

-

Old June 9th 04, 06:39 PM
Zog The Undeniable

JackGuest-com wrote:

Hi all,

I've recently put a new gear cable onto my bike (detailed in previous
posts) and I'm currently putting a new rear brake cable on too.

My question is whether/how to lube these new cables.

I lubed the inner cables (shot down the hole) when I fitted the gear
cable and also lubed the outer cable using a thick 'cycle grease with
teflon' (red stuff from halfords) - I basically just applied a thin coat
using my fingers.

What I've just noticed though is that lots of grit/little twigs etc have
stuck to the outter gear cable because of the lube.

So, should I lube the outter cable of my new back brake cable in the
same way or not?

Depends what make they are. Modern cables such as Shimano's have a
plastic liner and should not be lubricated. However, if the cable
housing has no liner, grease the inner cable thoroughly.
Old June 10th 04, 12:12 AM
Pete Biggs

Thick grease can /add/ friction. Better to either use no lube (for lined
or prelubed cables) or apply light oil to inner.

~PB

Old June 10th 04, 12:59 AM
David Waters

Pete Biggs wrote:
Thick grease can /add/ friction. Better to either use no lube (for lined
or prelubed cables) or apply light oil to inner.

~PB

what kind of light oil would you recommend? Something like GT85?
Old June 10th 04, 05:58 PM
Pete Biggs

David Waters wrote:

what kind of light oil would you recommend? Something like GT85?

I use stuff that comes in a non-aerosol can labelled "light oil". I don't
know if GT85 is adequate or not.

~PB

Old June 10th 04, 08:13 PM
taywood

JackGuest-com wrote:
Hi all,

What I've just noticed though is that lots of grit/little twigs etc
have stuck to the outter gear cable because of the lube.

Does this mean you put grease on the outside of the cable cover?