Shifter question.

Old September 10th 04, 04:05 AM
NewRoadie

Default Shifter question.

Going from smaller ring to a larger ring on a triple crankset with a
sora sti shifter, hold the lever over until the chain rolls on? or
click it and release immediately such as going from a larger to a
smaller ring?

Also, what should a person be able to do before considering joining
group rides at a local club? 30 miles at 15mph?

Muchas Gracias!

NewRoadie
Old September 10th 04, 05:45 AM
Richard Adams

NewRoadie wrote:
Going from smaller ring to a larger ring on a triple crankset with a
sora sti shifter, hold the lever over until the chain rolls on? or
click it and release immediately such as going from a larger to a
smaller ring?

Also, what should a person be able to do before considering joining
group rides at a local club? 30 miles at 15mph?

Muchas Gracias!

NewRoadie

If you're in my neck of the woods, you should be able to average 20 mph
over 30 miles, including some climbing. Anything less and you ride alone.

Old September 10th 04, 01:14 PM
NewRoadie

Wow, ok, 20mph. The climbing isn't a problem. I'm in Kentucky and do
plenty of hills on my own. Probably 10 half mile 10% hills in a 30
mile ride. And I suppose I could pick up a couple mph in a group but
I'm not to 20 yet.

I just don't want to show up for a "recovery ride" and be dragging ass
while everyone else is chatting it up.

I guess I'll have the winter to get into some kind of shape anyway.

Thanks for the info, and if you could address the shifter question I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks,
NewRoadie

From: Richard Adams

If you're in my neck of the woods, you should be able to average 20 mph
over 30 miles, including some climbing. Anything less and you ride alone.

We run a couple of rides specifically as recovery/new racer rides on monday
nights. This gives new people a chance to talk and ride with some really good
racers and to start out in a friendly environment. His local club might do
something similar.
Bill C

Old September 10th 04, 01:45 PM
NewRoadie

"Serious" has never been a problem. I tend to do things a bit too
seriously. 4 years ago I walked into a table tennis club where I
couldn't beat anyone. Not even the smaller kids who travel around and
do a lot of tournaments. Now I'm ranked 14th in the state, out of
hundreds of tournament players.

I just don't want to show up for a group ride and be a problem for
others.

NewRoadie.

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 11:53:10 GMT, "B. Lafferty"

From: Richard Adams

If you're in my neck of the woods, you should be able to average 20 mph
over 30 miles, including some climbing. Anything less and you ride alone.

We run a couple of rides specifically as recovery/new racer rides on
monday
nights. This gives new people a chance to talk and ride with some really
good
racers and to start out in a friendly environment. His local club might do
something similar.
Bill C

Oh, that's no fun. A serious rider will get dropped and keep coming back
for more until he/she can hang in. ;-)

Old September 10th 04, 05:32 PM
B. Lafferty

You won't be a problem, especially if you get dropped. Just make certain
that you don't overlap wheels and cause a crash. Also, try to stay 12
inches off the wheel of the rider in front of you (closer later) and don't
let a gap open up that someone else will have to close.

Have fun!

Old September 10th 04, 09:34 PM
Badger_South

On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 08:14:33 -0400, NewRoadie wrote:

Wow, ok, 20mph. The climbing isn't a problem. I'm in Kentucky and do
plenty of hills on my own. Probably 10 half mile 10% hills in a 30
mile ride. And I suppose I could pick up a couple mph in a group but
I'm not to 20 yet.

I just don't want to show up for a "recovery ride" and be dragging ass
while everyone else is chatting it up.

I guess I'll have the winter to get into some kind of shape anyway.

Thanks for the info, and if you could address the shifter question I'd
appreciate it.

Thanks,
NewRoadie

Depending on the area, most places have A, B and C rides, and you should
easily fit into either A or B. Check on their policy. Typically A rides
will drop folks, but B and C will not. If you're riding 18mph over hills,
then you can expect to gain at least 1-2mph just due to the extra energy of
riding with a group - iow, you can be pushed a little more than you push
yourself.

Just be sure you let the group know your level of experience with group
rides - most won't do strict paceline, but there is drafting, and you want
to make sure you get some experience with drafting and group riding
dynamics.

Typically new folks will ride one level less than they're used to, and then
go up a notch after they get some group practice.

(BTW, it's better to post at the bottom of a message. As you can see, I had
to snip out the post to which you replied in order to do so.)

-B

Training question Franck Mangin Racing 2 April 7th 04 05:50 AM
campy shifter lost its click Jim Flom Techniques 14 March 24th 04 01:55 PM