Battery question

Old November 13th 08, 04:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Patrick Lamb

Default Battery question

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 09:17:20 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Nov 12, 10:41*am, Mike Rocket J Squirrel
wrote:
On 11/12/2008 6:56 AM Mark wrote:
wrote:
On Nov 11, 10:21 pm, Mark wrote:
Patrick Lamb wrote:
Daylight savings time ended, and my entire commute home is now dark.
So...
I've got a light set, 2 or 3 years old, with SLA batteries. *Never had
an issue before this year, but they're sagging badly. *The light's a
pretty dim yellow by the time I get home. *And it doesn't seem to be
temperature sensitive (happens about the same at 35F as at 55F).
So, is this something that might get better with a few more cycles on
the batteries, or is it time to spring for new cells?
New cells time. *Sounds like you might have run it dead or nearly dead
one too many times. *That "deep cycling" seriously kills an SLA's
ability to hold a charge. *AFAIK, there's no remedy short of
replacement. *(Some SLA's are advertised as "deep-cycle"; AFAIK, they
are only more tolerant of such use, not immune, and they cost much more).

I used SLAs for many years of commuting. *Periodically I would forget to
charge and let the battery get too low. *Usually needed a new battery
shortly thereafter.

why not switch to led lamps ?

Ummm, good idea, except that's a separate issue. *Type and state of
repair of battery is pretty much independent from type of lighting
device, yes?

In short, with led's, his battery still won't hold a charge.

True that. But with LEDs one needn't heavy SLAs, so a complete changeout
of the entire lighting system would be in order, which makes sense only if
the OP has the interest and the means to purchase a new lighting system,
and/or the skillset needed to cobble together a home-brew system from
hardware store parts.

I don't know if the op is trying to piece together a lighting system
on the cheap with odds and ends; I can't help with that; but I am
suggesting is to upgrade to led systems, I find they are 10 times more
reliable than halogen, a lot brighter, less weight and much more
compact.

Fascinating, and I may go that route. But, since I've gone three
years without a problem, you'll pardon me if I'm sceptical an LED
light will go 30 years without any problem.

Pat

Email address works as is.
Old November 13th 08, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Patrick Lamb

wrote:
On Nov 11, 10:21 pm, Mark wrote:
Patrick Lamb wrote:
[...]
Mark J.
[...]

Yep yep yep, I'm with you on all that. It really comes down to what the OP
has in mind. Perhaps he will surface and chime in on this.

I was thinking of picking up some replacement cells and soldering them
in, vs. a whole new system. Looks like they'd be about $30 from
nicdlady (with shipping). Cygolite, to their credit, has spare parts
available -- $40 for a new battery. No easy decisions here.

Pat

I'm the original poster, and I approve this message...

Email address works as is.
Old November 13th 08, 04:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Patrick Lamb

On Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:01:48 -0600, Werehatrack
wrote:

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 20:29:00 -0600, Patrick Lamb
may have said:

Daylight savings time ended, and my entire commute home is now dark.
So...

I've got a light set, 2 or 3 years old, with SLA batteries. Never had
an issue before this year, but they're sagging badly. The light's a
pretty dim yellow by the time I get home. And it doesn't seem to be
temperature sensitive (happens about the same at 35F as at 55F).

So, is this something that might get better with a few more cycles on
the batteries, or is it time to spring for new cells?

New cells time. In my experience, if you're riding in the cold a lot,
staying with SLA is going to be better than trying to swap to NiMH or
NiCd, both of which have rather poor low-temp performance.

True. Googling last night convinced me I'd prefer either an SLA or Li
-- and lithium battery systems are darned expensive!

Browsing around, some of the nice LED systems with batteries make an
LED with a Shimano/Peter White generator wheel look like a good deal.
SON is still too much to sell to the wife.

Pat

Email address works as is.