frame vs mini pump

Old January 1st 09, 08:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

Default frame vs mini pump

In article
,
" wrote:

On Dec 31, 5:35*pm, wrote:
Russell Seaton1 wrote:
And a lot of good luck you'll need. *None of those pumps has the
cylinder diameter (volume) of the Silca and they are of thin
metal that dents readily. *As a kicker, they have a pump head
with gratuitous moving mechanical parts that the old Campagnolo
pump tip didn't have and that get in the way of properly holding
th reaction force in your other hand while pumping.
I've used my Blackburn aluminum frame pump for a few years or
more now and it has no dents in it. *How would you dent a frame
pump anyway? Are people truely stupid enough to use it to swing
at dogs and such while riding? *Amazing. *

Oooh! *And the current generation of riders can't aim a tire pump
so it hits the dog on the nose. *You don't spose to hit him on the
head. I have noted that dogs recognize a baton and stay out of
reach if they can, so the pump must be held in the hand with the
hand on the drops to look like part of the bicycle. *At the moment
the dog goes for the bite on ankle (primary target), one can easily
strike the surprised dog with the pump tip (where'd that pump come
from) on the nose. *That is to a dog like a KIB to a man. *They
roll over in the street like dead dog for a moment before running
home.

And the pump heads are far advanced from the ineffective Silca
head. I prefer to use unthreaded Michelin tubes. *Unless you wrap
your entire hand around the tire and use considerable force to
attempt to keep that Silca head on the valve stem, it will pop
off in an instance. *Terrible design.

What happened to your thumb of the hand holding the pump head? *I
was supposed to lie on top of the tire of the upright wheel being
pumped. I guess one needs to attend a school to learn these things
nowadays.

But my Blackburn has a clamp that locks securely onto unthreaded
stems and stays there. *The lever for the clamp does not get in
the way of holding the tire when inflating. *

I guess it doesn't if you are not pumping into your fist with thumb
over the tire.

Sounds like a very poor way of holding a tire while pumping.
Guaranteed to tear off the valve stem if you are restraining the tire
with your thumb. The proper way is to clamp the pump head onto the
valve. With the built in clamp in the Blackburn pump. Then hold the
tire up in the air and pump away while your hand holds the pump head.
Tire is held up by the valve stem sticking up from the pump head.
Nothing is touching the tire, it is not restrained in anyway. And
the valve cannot be torn by having your thumb restraining the tire.
Why restrain the tire with your thumb? Its not going anywhere. It
ain't going to float away just because you have some air in the tire.
After pumping the tire up, put it back on the bike. Your Silca pump
head has no ability to clamp onto the valve. Therefore it forces you
to incorrectly try to keep the head on the valve with your thumb,
thus forcing you to tear the valve in the tube.

Doesn't happen to me and I've been using Silca pumps for years. My
technique is to rest back of my left hand on my knee which provides a
kinesthetic marker for making sure that I'm not loading the valve stem
in any way. Sometimes I have a thumb over the tire, sometimes not.
Pretty consistently the Campy head blows off the valve stem at 110 psi.
I put it back on, give it a couple more strokes and the tire is inflated
to about 115 psi.

Other pumps I have used have included an old Zefal, the Zefal HPx,
Blackburn frame fit pump and Topeak Master Blaster (predecessor to the
Road Morph). The Silca is the lightest and easiest to use. As others
have pointed out, though, the Campy head is an essential.
Old January 1st 09, 09:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

In article ,
Mike McGuire wrote:

Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
Mike McGuire wrote:

jeffreybike wrote:
I've been biking for many years and I have a long frame pump.
When any of my fellow cyclist have a flat and they have a mini
pump, they always as to use my long frame pump. Why do cyclist
use a min pumps? They are cute and small, is this the reason they
are so popular? Is there a top notch mini pump that is as good
as a full size frame pump?
There are mini pump designs by Topeak that have a short hose
segment to attach to the tire so the end can be on the ground
instead of held in you hand. So when the pumping gets difficult,
it really takes the sting out of getting up to the high pressure
you need to prevent a pinch flat,

"Sting?" Hmmm. How high is that pressure? I pump mine up to
100-110 psi and only get pinch flats maybe once a year. I weigh
210-220 lbs. But then I'm not attempting to ride on the rubberized
spaghetti (~20 mm wide tires) that is considered de rigeur to be
"fast" these days. I ride 25-26 mm wide tires. They work much
better. Unfortunately a lot of bikes these days aren't suitable
for such tires, having clearances that barely allow a 700 x 23 to
pass. Sad.

and much reduces the risk of damaging a Presta valve to tube
junction. http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Pumps
http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Pumps/TurboMorphG

Proper pump technique eliminates the risk you mention.

Report back if you still think so when you get old enough for you
hands and fingers to start getting arthritic. I am well aware of
"proper technique. That pump design is a real blessing for me.

Well, I'm pushing 50. I'll let you know.
Old January 2nd 09, 12:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Martin Riddle

"Martin Riddle" wrote in message

| "jeffreybike" wrote in message

|| I've been biking for many years and I have a long frame pump. When
|| any of my fellow cyclist have a flat
|| and they have a mini pump, they always as to use my long frame pump.
|| Why do cyclist use a min pumps? They are cute and small, is this the
|| reason they are so popular? Is there a top notch mini pump that is
as
|| good as a full size frame pump?
|

| I use a mini pump, the amount of time I spend pumping doesn’t harbor
the
| need for a larger pump.
|
| I do have a question perhaps someone knows.
| I have an older Zefal that telescopes, has a draw of 8", and is much
| faster to
| Pump with. My newer Blacburn is only a 5-6" draw and takes longer.
| Does Zefal still make this pump? Its over 20yrs old.
|
| Cheers

The Zefal pump in question was the 'Mt. Zefal mini double shot' I found
it here
http://www.bikepro.com/products/pumps/zeffram.html
Don’t know if its still availble.

Cheers

Old January 2nd 09, 02:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Orin

On Dec 31 2008, 1:17*pm, "Kerry Montgomery"
wrote:
Dan, option 2 (Road Morph - awesome pump! :-)

Kerry, option 2 (Road Morph - great pump, except for the one time the
plastic holder unscrewed and it and the rubber washer were missing when I
needed them)

Those Road Morphs are hard to beat for bikes where you cannot mount a
full size pump. Otherwise, I use Zefal HPX when they fit.

You carry a spare tube for *other* cyclists? *What size? *What kind of
valve stem? *How often has proven worthwhile?

I carry 2 spare tubes for me, but have given tubes to other cyclists at
least 3 times. 700C x something smaller than or equal to 25mm.

I usually carry 2 or 3 spare tubes of the size I'm using, as well as a
700x23 (single) or 700x25 (tandem) tire. On group rides that I lead,
after someone flats for the second time, I just get out the spare
tire, tube and if possible, fix it myself. We tend to get going again
quicker that way...

I never expect to get the tube back, though beer is always welcome...

Orin.
Old January 9th 09, 03:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Alan Hoyle

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 20:52:55, Mike McGuire wrote:
Tim McNamara wrote:
In article ,
Mike McGuire wrote:
and much reduces the risk of damaging a Presta valve to tube junction.
http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Pumps
http://www.topeak.com/products/Mini-Pumps/TurboMorphG

Proper pump technique eliminates the risk you mention.

Report back if you still think so when you get old enough for you hands
and fingers to start getting arthritic. I am well aware of "proper
technique. That pump design is a real blessing for me.

The TurboMorphG is what I use. Another advantage to its design is
that it will let you use your weight in pumping: the technique for
these pumps is the same as a standard floor pump, and you're not
limited to muscle strength. You just "lean into it" more as it gets
harder. It gets to ~80 PSI pretty quickly and easily, but after
that it gets harder. It isn't that hard to get to 120 PSI, but the
last 40 PSI are way harder than the first 80.

Thus far, I've only rarely had flats in my 4 mile commute, and it
works pretty well.

-a

--
Alan Hoyle - - http://www.alanhoyle.com/
Old January 9th 09, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

yep

mine takes about 120 strokes at 2/second

2 minutes

road bike

90 psi or so

wle.

Old January 15th 09, 10:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike

On 2008-12-31, jeffreybike wrote:
I've been biking for many years and I have a long frame pump. When
any of my fellow cyclist have a flat
and they have a mini pump, they always as to use my long frame pump.
Why do cyclist use a min pumps? They are cute and small, is this the
reason they are so popular? Is there a top notch mini pump that is as
good as a full size frame pump?

The good ones can get the tyre to 100psi with a bit of effort but are
perfectly acceptable for the occasional puncture on the road.

You don't always have anywhere to put a frame pump if you've got two
bottles and a brake cable running under the top tube.

Good design would ensure correct brake cable positioning . On the
side, on the top but never ever underneath.

I've no problem fitting three bottles, and a full size frame pump on
one of my bikes. But as it's as old as the space shuttle and was
designed by a engineer rather than a cool dude tosser wearing $500
designer specs that should be no surprise.

OK two of the bottles are on the bars but that's not the point

Old January 15th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Mike who? wrote:

[...]

That may sound good, but mounting a pump (horizontally) under the
toptube presents another problem in that it relies on friction and
spring force to retain it when riding over sharp bumps, especially
with a road bicycle with high pressure tires. I have seen enough
pumps, mounted tis way, drop off in the days when Silca Impero pumps
were standard on most bicycles. Pumps are most secure mounted in
front or behind seat tubes (nearly vertical) so they don't rattle or
fall off.

That position has been usurped by sloping toptube (hyena) and
micro-short seat tubes with more than a foot of seat post exposed.
This and other short sighted features of "modern" close coupled frames
expose their fashionable impracticality.

Jobst Brandt
Old January 15th 09, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 15, 11:09*am, wrote:
Mike who? wrote:
[...]

Jobst Brandt- Hide quoted text -

Pump strap works very well in keeping a pump under the top tube. No
matter what you hit.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4363
Old January 15th 09, 09:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 15, 11:03*am, "
wrote:
On Jan 15, 11:09*am, wrote:

Mike who? wrote:
[...]

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...46&subcategory....

Or a couple of pieces of velcro from kmart are sufficient for several
pumps and frames.

Mini pump Paul UK 15 April 3rd 06 11:38 PM
mini tire pump trials_uni Unicycling 0 February 3rd 06 12:17 AM
Mini-pump to go Paul D UK 17 January 23rd 05 01:07 PM
Mini Pump Jiyang Chen General 12 August 16th 03 12:12 AM