frame vs mini pump

Old January 15th 09, 10:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default frame vs mini pump

Russell Seaton wrote:

I've been biking for many years and I have a long frame pump.
When any of my fellow cyclist have a flat and they have a mini
pump, they always as to use my long frame pump. Â*Why do cyclist
use a min pumps? Â*They are cute and small, is this the reason
they are so popular? Â*Is there a top notch mini pump that is as
good as a full size frame pump?

The good ones can get the tyre to 100psi with a bit of effort but
are perfectly acceptable for the occasional puncture on the road.
You don't always have anywhere to put a frame pump if you've got
two bottles and a brake cable running under the top tube.

Good design would ensure correct brake cable positioning . Â*On the
side, on the top but never ever underneath. I've no problem
fitting three bottles, and a full size frame pump on one of my
bikes. Â*But as it's as old as the space shuttle and was designed
by a engineer rather than a cool dude tosser wearing $500 designer
specs that should be no surprise. OK two of the bottles are on
the bars but that's not the point

That may sound good, but mounting a pump (horizontally) under the
toptube presents another problem in that it relies on friction and
spring force to retain it when riding over sharp bumps, especially
with a road bicycle with high pressure tires. Â*I have seen enough
pumps, mounted tis way, drop off in the days when Silca Impero
pumps were standard on most bicycles. Â*Pumps are most secure
mounted in front or behind seat tubes (nearly vertical) so they
don't rattle or fall off.

That position has been usurped by sloping toptube (hyena) and
micro-short seat tubes with more than a foot of seat post exposed.
This and other short sighted features of "modern" close coupled
frames expose their fashionable impracticality.

Pump strap works very well in keeping a pump under the top tube. No
matter what you hit.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4363

You might consider why pump straps were invented after eons of pumps
mounted vertically without them. I think they emphasize the lost pump
problem of horizontally mounted pumps and lack of space for mounting a
reasonable size pump vertically.

Jobst Brandt
Old January 16th 09, 12:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 15, 3:10*pm, wrote:
Russell Seaton wrote:
I've been biking for many years and I have a long frame pump.
When any of my fellow cyclist have a flat and they have a mini
pump, they always as to use my long frame pump. *Why do cyclist
use a min pumps? *They are cute and small, is this the reason
they are so popular? *Is there a top notch mini pump that is as
good as a full size frame pump?
The good ones can get the tyre to 100psi with a bit of effort but
are perfectly acceptable for the occasional puncture on the road.
You don't always have anywhere to put a frame pump if you've got
two bottles and a brake cable running under the top tube.
Good design would ensure correct brake cable positioning . *On the
side, on the top but never ever underneath. *I've no problem
fitting three bottles, and a full size frame pump on one of my
bikes. *But as it's as old as the space shuttle and was designed
by a engineer rather than a cool dude tosser wearing $500 designer
specs that should be no surprise. *OK two of the bottles are on
the bars but that's not the point
That may sound good, but mounting a pump (horizontally) under the
toptube presents another problem in that it relies on friction and
spring force to retain it when riding over sharp bumps, especially
with a road bicycle with high pressure tires. *I have seen enough
pumps, mounted tis way, drop off in the days when Silca Impero
pumps were standard on most bicycles. *Pumps are most secure

*http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...46&subcategory...

You might consider why pump straps were invented after eons of pumps
mounted vertically without them. *I think they emphasize the lost pump
problem of horizontally mounted pumps and lack of space for mounting a
reasonable size pump vertically.

Jobst Brandt

But horizontally mounted pumps allow you to carry extra water.
Old January 16th 09, 12:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Andres Muro wrote:

I've been biking for many years and I have a long frame pump.
When any of my fellow cyclist have a flat and they have a mini
pump, they always as to use my long frame pump. Â*Why do
cyclist use a min pumps? Â*They are cute and small, is this the
reason they are so popular? Â*Is there a top notch mini pump
that is as good as a full size frame pump?

The good ones can get the tyre to 100psi with a bit of effort
but are perfectly acceptable for the occasional puncture on the
road. You don't always have anywhere to put a frame pump if
you've got two bottles and a brake cable running under the top
tube.

Good design would ensure correct brake cable positioning . Â*On
the side, on the top but never ever underneath. Â*I've no problem
fitting three bottles, and a full size frame pump on one of my
bikes. Â*But as it's as old as the space shuttle and was designed
by a engineer rather than a cool dude tosser wearing $500
designer specs that should be no surprise. Â*OK two of the
bottles are on the bars but that's not the point

That may sound good, but mounting a pump (horizontally) under the
toptube presents another problem in that it relies on friction
and spring force to retain it when riding over sharp bumps,
especially with a road bicycle with high pressure tires. Â*I have
seen enough pumps, mounted tis way, drop off in the days when
Silca Impero pumps were standard on most bicycles. Â*Pumps are
most secure mounted in front or behind seat tubes (nearly
vertical) so they don't rattle or fall off.

That position has been usurped by sloping toptube (hyena) and
micro-short seat tubes with more than a foot of seat post
exposed. This and other short sighted features of "modern" close
coupled frames expose their fashionable impracticality.

Pump strap works very well in keeping a pump under the top
tube. Â*No matter what you hit.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=4363

You might consider why pump straps were invented after eons of
pumps mounted vertically without them. Â*I think they emphasize the
lost pump problem of horizontally mounted pumps and lack of space
for mounting a reasonable size pump vertically.

But horizontally mounted pumps allow you to carry extra water.

Why does one need to carry extra water? Oh, I get it, these are all
racers (Lance Armstrong wannabes) with extra water for those who can't
stop and get a drink along the route as they glance furtively over the
shoulder to see where the chase group might be in their TdF act.

Jobst Brandt
Old January 16th 09, 01:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Jan 15, 4:16*pm, wrote:
Andres Muro wrote:
[...]
especially with a road bicycle with high pressure tires. *I have
seen enough pumps, mounted tis way, drop off in the days when
Silca Impero pumps were standard on most bicycles. *Pumps are
[...]

I knew we were going to start talking about stopping for water!

Some people do drink a lot of water between stops and can benefit from
two bottles, and some people drink two different things -- water and
some magical colored beverage. Some people need two cages so they can
carry water and a light battery (me). And, of course, some people
race and don't stop for water. There are legitimate, non-poseur
reasons for having two cages/bottles. Also, some cages interfere with
a full sized pump even when they are empty -- so if you mount a cage,
you lose the seat tube as a possible pump location.

I prefer full sized pumps, although some minis are O.K. I think the
Topeak morph series are good pumps, particularly if you use cheap
tubes with valves that like to break off (although using the mini
morph as a floor pump makes me feel like one of those circus clowns
riding the teeny tricycle). -- Jay Beattie.

Old January 16th 09, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Jan 15, 8:29 pm, Jay Beattie wrote:

I knew we were going to start talking about stopping for water!

Some people do drink a lot of water between stops and can benefit from
two bottles, and some people drink two different things -- water and
some magical colored beverage. Some people need two cages so they can
carry water and a light battery (me). And, of course, some people
race and don't stop for water. There are legitimate, non-poseur
reasons for having two cages/bottles.

Absolutely! I recall setting off on a solo, casual century ride in
backwoods Michigan one summer. I had two bottles of water, but the
roads I was wandering were so remote that I drank both bottles, then
got seriously, powerfully thirsty long before finding a house where I
could beg some water.

If you ride mostly familiar roads, this may not be a problem. If you
head out on unknown rural roads, it can be a different matter. And
with the de-population of many rural areas, the problem may get worse.

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 16th 09, 04:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jan 15, 6:16*pm, wrote:

[cue CURMUDGEON KLAXONS]

Why does one need to carry extra water?

Because hydration keeps the skin looking fabulous.

Old January 16th 09, 06:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Kerry Montgomery

"Jay Beattie" wrote in message
On Jan 15, 4:16 pm, wrote:
Andres Muro wrote:
[...]

-separator here-

And are Camelbaks just too uncool for words? (I like 'em, especially off
road where they keep the taste of mud from my mouth.)
Kerry

Old January 16th 09, 07:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected][_2_]

On Jan 15, 9:45*pm, landotter wrote:
On Jan 15, 6:16*pm, wrote:

[cue CURMUDGEON KLAXONS]

Why does one need to carry extra water?

Because hydration keeps the skin looking fabulous.

I am an alcoholic and need to carry tequila in one bottle.

Mini pump Paul UK 15 April 3rd 06 11:38 PM
mini tire pump trials_uni Unicycling 0 February 3rd 06 12:17 AM
Mini-pump to go Paul D UK 17 January 23rd 05 01:07 PM
Mini Pump Jiyang Chen General 12 August 16th 03 12:12 AM