Fenders - front mudflap important ?

Old September 14th 05, 05:03 PM
Werehatrack

Default Fenders - front mudflap important ?

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 14:47:04 GMT, Bob wrote:

How important is a front mudflap when using fenders?

It depends on a number of things, but mostly on how damp you like your
shoes to get, and how much riding you do on wet roads.

Does lot of spray
come up off the front wheel and hit the lower part of the bike?

It's not the stuff that hits the bike that you're likely to be annoyed
by, though that can mess up the chain. It's the spray hitting your
feet that I find to be the major issue.

I'm
thinking of protection from riding on wet roads and through remaining
puddles, not riding in the rain.

Well, then, a mud flap may be a good idea. Here in the desert-like
conditions of Houston[1], I have only one bike with fenders, and it
gets ridden the least. When I lived in sodden South Florida, I found
fenders to be much more useful.

[1] Desert-like by comparison to Miami, at least; here, we frequently
have periods of an entire month during which it doesn't rain. Oh, and
we have these things called Seasons[2], too.

[2] Okay, Miami has seasons of a sort. Tourist and Off, as I recall.
Here, the seasons are descriptive of the weather, unlike Illinois
where they are Basketball, Football and Road Construction, with some
overlaps.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.