Republicans and other *******s are trying to slow you down

Old December 2nd 10, 04:38 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

Default Small Wheels are Good!

On Dec 1, 11:38*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"Forrest Hodge" wrote in message

I'll take your word for it. If I have to be somewhere 125 miles away I'd
rather drive there and be there in about 1/3 of the time it takes to bike.
That's not to say I dislike the bicycle, I don't and I do bike for
exercise (though not for 125 miles). But the majority of the time if you
live in the suburbs or a rural area, the car is a much more practical
means of conveyance.

Forest Hodge is quite right about the suburbs and rural areas not being
friendly to cyclists. Large cities and small towns are the best venues for
cycling whether they have bike paths or not. However, some rural areas, like
Wisconsin for instance, do have lots of county blacktops which are fine for
cycling, but here in Minnesota it is mostly gravel roads in the countryside.
A gravel road will wear you down, especially on a recumbent.

You guys need to get in touch with the urban jungle. There's no place
to ride a bike in America, even less so in the city where people are
forced onto the sidewalks, passing the bucket down to the pedestrian.

You may load you bike on the car and go some place, but that defeats
the purpose of the bicycle as a practical vehicle.

There's simply a MONOPOLY by the automobile and oil industry.

Old December 2nd 10, 04:45 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Edward Dolan

Default Does TM have a brain?

"His Highness the TibetanMonkey, not your average backyard philosopher"
wrote in message
On Dec 1, 10:29 pm, Forrest Hodge wrote:
[...]
If you live in suburbs and choose to ride a bike, that's your decision.
You can move to the city and live in a more bike friendly place. There
are trade offs to living an any given area.

The city is NOT a more bike friendly place. In the city you find the

monkeys riding on sidewalks... You call that friendly?

There are plenty of streets which are suitable for riding a bicycle in any
city in the world, even in ****ing Florida.

How can I drive driving a sports car? Easy, back country roads and a
police force that concerns itself more with keeping violent offenders
off the streets more so that [than] it does with the occasional hooning
[?].

Sorry, you can have a Mazda Miata to have fun and save a lot of gas.

No one hates motor vehicles more than I do. TM would have an ally in me if
he would stop proliferating posts and behave responsibly on these
newsgroups.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Old December 2nd 10, 05:19 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Opus[_2_]

Default Republicans and other *******s are trying to slow you down

On Dec 1, 3:53*pm, Forrest Hodge wrote:
snip
Because public transportation is everywhere, right. Where I live there
are no buses, no subways, no bike lanes. It would suicidal and
inefficient time-wise to bike to work. So consequently I drive
everywhere, and I might as well enjoy myself when I do it. If you really
want to get into semantics, it could be considered decedent and
unnecessary to ride a bike with 20 in or larger wheels or more than one
gear, because everyone should be able to peddle a fixed gear bike up a
steep hill and if you can't you're a "****head".

Why can't you ride a bike? You already stated that the main problem is
it's "suicidal" to ride a bike which I have to assume is because of
the cars on the roads making it so rather than armed mobs roving the
countryside. And as far as time is concerned I used to ride 120 miles
round trip a day to go do things a few towns up the road from me. I
did have to "freshen up" before I did my thing, and part of my "thing"
was the fact that I showed up on a bicycle from 60 miles away. I was
visiting a nursing home and showing I cared enough to ride a bike
there added to the ability to do my job.

As far as having gears on my bike is concerned, having multiple gears
and the knowledge to use them is what we called a "force multiplier"
when I was in the military. I can do more with less effort because I
have multiple gears on my bike, which makes my bike a better tool for
transportation, not decadent, nor decedant, which is a dead person.
Old December 2nd 10, 06:39 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
dgk

On Tue, 30 Nov 2010 21:02:45 -0500, Forrest Hodge
wrote:

On 11/30/2010 10:43 AM, dgk wrote:
On Mon, 29 Nov 2010 21:44:33 -0500, Forrest
wrote:

On 11/29/2010 4:27 PM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, not your average
backyard philosopher wrote:
On Nov 29, 4:01 pm, Forrest wrote:
On 11/29/2010 11:20 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, not your average

backyard philosopher wrote:
On Nov 29, 10:17 am, wrote:
On 11/29/2010 9:21 AM, His Highness the TibetanMonkey, not your average
backyard philosopher wrote:

One solution is to get folding bike.

Can't get a basket on those

Sorry, I missed this comment which is tied up to the sidewalks.

The folding bike not only can take a basket it already comes with
rack! That would be the ONLY bicycle I'd allow on sidewalks. The other
*******s will get their bicycles impounded. I'd wouldn't worry about
tickets.

This is a gem of simplicity and comfort...

http://www.bikesarecool.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=397

Let the Republicans die of envy!

My 400 HP sport/muscle car isn't envious of a folding bicycle.

Well, some day I invite to a Triathlon where one of the events is to
take the vehicle in the subway.

No subways where I live, and even there were, I don't care for public
transportation. I prefer not being at the mercy of bus/subway schedule.

Good, and we're spending a trillion dollars to make sure that the oil
necessary for ****heads like you remains available.

****heads like me? Care to elaborate or is your argument simply limited
to name calling?

Essentially you came across as a selfish piece of crap to me. Public
transportation is a more environmentally friendly way to run our
planet but that apparently didn't matter to you.
Old December 2nd 10, 06:41 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
dgk

On Wed, 01 Dec 2010 16:53:22 -0500, Forrest Hodge
wrote:

On 12/1/2010 7:28 AM, Opus wrote:
On Nov 30, 8:02 pm, Forrest wrote:
snip
My 400 HP sport/muscle car isn't envious of a folding bicycle.

Well, some day I invite to a Triathlon where one of the events is to
take the vehicle in the subway.

No subways where I live, and even there were, I don't care for public
transportation. I prefer not being at the mercy of bus/subway schedule.

Good, and we're spending a trillion dollars to make sure that the oil
necessary for ****heads like you remains available.

****heads like me? Care to elaborate or is your argument simply limited
to name calling?

People that drive vehicles with a decimal order of magnitude more
power than they need to move their butts with fossil fuels, because
they haven't learned to use public transportation and refuse to ride a
bicycle to move their butts using their butts. Is that elaborate
enough for you?

And just to be precise, the war in Iraq cost a billion dollars a DAY
for 6 years, do the math. That doesn't even begin to tackle the cost
of the war in Afghanistan, and both of those wars were "off-budget"
items during the Bush administration, roughly $3 trillion added to the
deficit that wasn't even counted until 2008.

Because public transportation is everywhere, right. Where I live there
are no buses, no subways, no bike lanes. It would suicidal and
inefficient time-wise to bike to work. So consequently I drive
everywhere, and I might as well enjoy myself when I do it. If you really
want to get into semantics, it could be considered decedent and
unnecessary to ride a bike with 20 in or larger wheels or more than one
gear, because everyone should be able to peddle a fixed gear bike up a
steep hill and if you can't you're a "****head".

Yes, there are places where public transit sucks, very true. But that
isn't the way you phrased it. If available, you would not use it
because it can never be as convenient as leaving just when you want
to.
Old December 2nd 10, 06:59 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

wrote:

On 12/1/2010 7:28 AM, Opus wrote:
[...]

I can relate to: "I won't ride a bicycle because is too dangerous!"

Not, "I'm proud to pollute because I can't ride a bike."

You may say out in the boondocks he may have a better chance to
survive than us in the urban warfare.
Old December 2nd 10, 07:06 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Edward Dolan

city in the world, even in ****ing Florida." - Ed Dolan

Old December 2nd 10, 08:04 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Dec 2, 1:06*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

"There are plenty of streets which are suitable for riding a bicycle in any
city in the world, even in ****ing Florida." - Ed Dolan

They are out of reach for most people. Where the hell do you live?
Only a few lucky places such as Key West have that privilege. The rest
is a jungle.

Are you living in a home for the old?

Old December 2nd 10, 09:17 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living
Edward Dolan

wrote in message
On Dec 2, 1:06 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

"There are plenty of streets which are suitable for riding a bicycle in
any
city in the world, even in ****ing Florida." - Ed Dolan

They are out of reach for most people. Where the hell do you live?

Only a few lucky places such as Key West have that privilege. The rest
is a jungle.

Walk your bike on the sidewalk until you reach a safe street. Where the hell
do you live? In a hotel in the heart of the city?

A city like Miami will have hundreds of miles of residential streets which
are safe for cycling. ALL small towns in Minnesota are totally safe for
cycling and so are the Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul). Exactly where
do you live in Florida?

Are you living in a home for the old?

Not yet, but I'm expecting.

Old December 2nd 10, 10:44 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent,uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,misc.consumers.frugal-living

On Dec 2, 3:17*pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:
"His Highness the TibetanMonkey, not your average backyard wrote in message

On Dec 2, 1:06 pm, "Edward Dolan" wrote:

"There are plenty of streets which are suitable for riding a bicycle in
any
city in the world, even in ****ing Florida." - Ed Dolan
They are out of reach for most people. Where the hell do you live?

Only a few lucky places such as Key West have that privilege. The rest
is a jungle.

Walk your bike on the sidewalk until you reach a safe street. Where the hell
do you live? In a hotel in the heart of the city?

A city like Miami will have hundreds of miles of residential streets which
are safe for cycling. ALL small towns in Minnesota are totally safe for
cycling and so are the Twin Cities (Minneapolis and St. Paul). Exactly where
do you live in Florida?

Are you living in a home for the old?

Not yet, but I'm expecting.

I hope they don't give a computer.