Phil on Kirsten Gumm

Old July 10th 03, 09:59 PM
John Henderson

Default Phil on Kirsten Gumm

Phil Liggett, telling us what we already suspected:

"Kirsten Gumm, who presents our preview show, had never seen a cycle
race before. She loves the Tour and has a great feel for it already
with her enthusiasm. It is so hard to come in cold, but I hope you
think as I do."

From tdf.olntv.com

John Henderson, New York City, USA
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
"Let's roll!" -- Todd Beamer, 9/11/01
"After five and weekends" -- 711th SOS
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Old July 11th 03, 01:19 AM
B. Lafferty

Not as good as Odessa who also knows racing, having been a pro (still is?).
Odessa on OLN in '04!!

"Jamce1" wrote in message
why do you give a ****? she is good to look at, and she does not do "play

by
play" so why does it matter?

what gives with all of the irritation?

chris

Subject: Phil on Kirsten Gumm

Old July 11th 03, 02:17 AM
John Rees

"Jamce1" wrote in message
why do you give a ****? she is good to look at, and she does not do "play

by
play" so why does it matter?

what gives with all of the irritation?

Just imagine if whoever covers the NFL FootBall 'Super Bowl' decided to
have the usual commentators, plus bring in someone like, Martha Stewart or
Barbara Walters? "Tell me Pat, wouldn't their kit look better if the
shoulder pads coordinated with their shoes better?" or, how about:
"Wouldn't the ball be a little easier to throw if were round, and ....
smaller?"

Too often, in American broadcasting, it seems they think it's OK to bring in
some neophyte to cover the event. If it isn't a big three sport, they lump
the sport (whatever it happens to be) as one of those 'other' sports..

"Hey Mac, who's gonna cover that TOOR dee france bike race?" "How 'bout
Charleeh? He's got one of thems mountain bikes, I dink.."

Old July 11th 03, 03:01 AM
KBH

She's not just a cycling newbie, she's just plain bad - acts like a
teenager. The guys the past few years didn't know squat about cycling, but
they were professional - introducing each segment in a businesslike manner -
not commenting how something is "awesome!".

Old July 11th 03, 04:29 AM
IamN2Speed

"John Rees" wrote in message
"Jamce1" wrote in message

Just imagine if whoever covers the NFL FootBall 'Super Bowl' decided to
have the usual commentators, plus bring in someone like, Martha Stewart or
Barbara Walters?

Can you say Denis Miller?

Old July 11th 03, 10:28 AM
Clovis Lark

John Rees wrote:
"Jamce1" wrote in message
why do you give a ****? she is good to look at, and she does not do "play

by
play" so why does it matter?

what gives with all of the irritation?

Just imagine if whoever covers the NFL FootBall 'Super Bowl' decided to
have the usual commentators, plus bring in someone like, Martha Stewart or
Barbara Walters? "Tell me Pat, wouldn't their kit look better if the
shoulder pads coordinated with their shoes better?" or, how about:
"Wouldn't the ball be a little easier to throw if were round, and ....
smaller?"

Get real:
Al Michaels: It's beautiful day here at Mile High, It's been snowing all
day and the crowd's really boistrous.

JOhn Maddon: That's what makes real football. It's cold, icy, the ball's
gonna slide around, the big guys too. I sure love it when they get good'n
muddy and they're just grabbing anything 'cause they can't see. On a day
like this, round about the 3rd quarter when those guys hit you, BOOM!
THAT'S gotta hurt!

Al: Martha?

Martha: On Cold days like this, there's nothing better than hot buttered
rum made with your own home churned butter. I noticed on John's bus that
the engine was vibrating, so I placed the churner on the engine block and
500 miles later, voila! You can try this next time you catch the M4 on
110th St. John, I've got a little secret remedy for that left rear engine
mount...

John: Ooh, now THAT'S an All MAddon idea! Did you use any Ace Hardware
tools?

Martha: Actually, I made them all myself. My lawyer's been telling me I
need to sharpen those skills. But here's something for you, Al.

Al: MArtha, that's the most incredibly perfect football I've even seen...

Martha: I know, while driving out here, I passed a slaughterhouse and saw
they were wasting the skins. Using my homemade gardening shears and my
portable mending set (never travel without one), I made it and you can buy
one just like it at BigK.

JOhn: Hey! How'd the score get to be 17 to 16??!!!

MArtha: I've got a real good investment tip...

Too often, in American broadcasting, it seems they think it's OK to bring in
some neophyte to cover the event. If it isn't a big three sport, they lump
the sport (whatever it happens to be) as one of those 'other' sports..

"Hey Mac, who's gonna cover that TOOR dee france bike race?" "How 'bout
Charleeh? He's got one of thems mountain bikes, I dink.."

Martha: Phil, when leading out a good sprint, there's that wonderful rush
you get knowing that your home welding skills were the first step, long
before you begin that pedal stroke.

Phil: Ah Martha, you've been breathing down the seat of Petacchi's pants
again.

Old July 11th 03, 10:36 AM
Ewoud Dronkert

On 11 Jul 2003 10:00:41 +0950, Time Cop wrote:
It's only the biggest bicycle race in the world and I don't know of
any reputable television network that would put a neophyte like that
on camera when its reputation is on the line.

Flemish national tv station Canvas had ms. Phaedra Hoste doing
in-depth interviews with the riders. Those were the days. *sigh*

BTA, she wasn't a total neophyte because she bonked Roger de Vlaeminck
from age 16 to 21.

Old July 11th 03, 02:04 PM
Dan

WOW! what a great post.
Old July 11th 03, 03:25 PM
Bob Schwartz

Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
Flemish national tv station Canvas had ms. Phaedra Hoste doing
in-depth interviews with the riders. Those were the days. *sigh*

BTA, she wasn't a total neophyte because she bonked Roger de Vlaeminck
from age 16 to 21.

And here in the US we wonder why the bike mags want pictures of
Odessa rather than of Levi.

Bob Schwartz