Lance & age

Old July 17th 03, 04:02 AM
Darren S.

Default Lance & age

Whenever Lance's performance in this years TdF is talked about, many posters
to this fine NG seem to be very quick to attribute it to age related
decline. Why is this? All other factors being equal, could the passage of a
single year really have taken him from the absolute dominance of last year
to having to ride Indurain style defensively up L'Alpe against Beloki this
year? I have a very difficult time believing that.

He may be a tad bit slower due to advancing age, but, unlike many people it
seems, I can't believe thats the only thing going on with him this year. Do
people really think the intestinal virus stuff was just psyops?

I suppose we'll see over the 96 hours beginning friday. If it was the
intestinal crud he'll be riding into form and becoming more like the Lance
of yesteryear. If it really is the years, one would presume that he'll not
have any form to regain.

Cheers,
Darren

---

Old July 17th 03, 12:13 PM
smiles

Who was the runner who broke the marathon world record (not age group) and
got a gold?? He was around 40!! Age has a bunch to do with it, but desire
and hunger factors in more when you have the tools ...

Carlos Lopes ... after a quick internet search ... age 37 olympic gold
....and the 10,000 WR not the marathon ...

http://boardnbike.com

Old July 17th 03, 04:18 PM
Andy Coggan

"Darren S." wrote in message

Whenever Lance's performance in this years TdF is talked about, many

posters
to this fine NG seem to be very quick to attribute it to age related
decline. Why is this? All other factors being equal, could the passage of

single year really have taken him from the absolute dominance of last year
to having to ride Indurain style defensively up L'Alpe against Beloki this
year?

I've been fielding calls from various journalists (thanks (??), Sam) wanting
to know "what makes Armstrong so special?" from a physiological perspective.
What these reporters (and many fans) fail to realize is that there really
*isn't* anything that sets him distinctly apart from any other GC contender.
That is, in elite-level sports the difference between winners and the
also-rans is often only around 1%. Cycling is no exception (which is why
multi-day stage races are needed to truly separate the wheat from the chaffe
against the randomness imposed by drafting, luck, etc.), and Armstrong is
(or has been) merely the creme de le creme de le creme. A 1% decline in
Armstrong's abilities from 2002 to 2003 due to normal aging could therefore
most certainly make him suddenly appear vulnerable.

Andy Coggan

Old July 17th 03, 04:20 PM
warren

In article ink.net,
Andy Coggan wrote:

"Darren S." wrote in message

[...]

Decreased desire and motivation, and outside distractions could also
account for a small decline.

-WG
Old July 17th 03, 08:19 PM
Raptor

warren wrote:
In article ink.net,
Andy Coggan wrote:
[...]

And hasn't LANCE benefitted from "perfect" pre-season preparation until
this year? IIRC, 2001/2 were very clean for him, no illness, no
crashes. That takes a measure of luck. Whereas this year, he fell in
the Dauphine(?) and had a minor virus.

Carmicheal says LANCE told him he feels great now, so we'll see in the
next few days.

"I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we could to protect
our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security."
--Microsoft VP in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.

Old July 17th 03, 09:12 PM
Deeznuts

"Darren S." wrote in message ...
All other factors being equal, could the passage of a
single year really have taken him from the absolute dominance of last year
to having to ride Indurain style defensively up L'Alpe against Beloki this
year?

Yes.

I have a very difficult time believing that.

I don't see why. That is how aging works. The passage of a single
year can be the difference between being alive or dead.

Deez
Old July 17th 03, 10:29 PM
Stewart Fleming

smiles wrote:
Who was the runner who broke the marathon world record (not age group) and
got a gold?? He was around 40!! Age has a bunch to do with it, but desire
and hunger factors in more when you have the tools ...

Carlos Lopes ... after a quick internet search ... age 37 olympic gold
...and the 10,000 WR not the marathon ...

Apart from those details, your story was pretty accurate...

Old July 17th 03, 10:52 PM
Daniel Connelly

All of this "age" discussion will end tomorrow.

In the prologue, Lance's time losses were primarily in
the beginning of the stage, and that's not relevent in a
long time trial. Then, on L'Alpe, reports I've seen indicate
he was riding a conservative race, that he appeared at
ease. He obviously decided the race would be decided
in the Pyrannes. He's had bad days before,
and in the extraordinary heat is riding a tactical race to
avoid that from happening.

Ekimov has declared Armstrong is strong. Ekimov isn't one
to talk trash.

Armstrong was dominant in the time trial in Dauphine.
He's ridden a reserved race so far, and even took a shortcut .
Expect a win tomorrow. Ullrich second. Hamilton third.

Dan

Old July 18th 03, 05:55 PM
Andy Coggan

"Daniel Connelly" wrote in message
. ..

All of this "age" discussion will end tomorrow.

Think so?

Andy Coggan

Old July 18th 03, 06:27 PM
Daniel Connelly

I think http://www-tcad.stanford.edu/~djconnel/cycling/ITT1.pdf suggests
that the ITT suggested Ullrich is stronger, not Lance is weaker, than 2002.

Dan