Help a newbie

Old August 12th 07, 08:38 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wuint

Default Help a newbie

On the weekend I had my first experience trying to ride a unicycle, even
though I wasn't all that successful I had a blast and want to get my
own. I started to look around on ebay and stuff and I realized I really
have no clue what kind to get. I want some thing that is easy to learn
on. I'm about 5'4" if that affects what I should be buying? I've
searched the local bike shops and it doesn't seem like they have any so
I thought you guys here would probably be able to help me out a bit in
what I should be looking for. Any tips at what to look for at all would
be much appreciated! Thanks

I found 'this one' (http://tinyurl.com/2pt9t8) on ebay. Would this be
something good to begin on? I really have no clue hope you guys can
help me a bit.

--
wuint
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 12th 07, 08:50 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

wuint wrote:
On the weekend I had my first experience trying to ride a unicycle, even
though I wasn't all that successful I had a blast and want to get my
own. I started to look around on ebay and stuff and I realized I really
have no clue what kind to get. I want some thing that is easy to learn
on. I'm about 5'4" if that affects what I should be buying? I've
searched the local bike shops and it doesn't seem like they have any so
I thought you guys here would probably be able to help me out a bit in
what I should be looking for. Any tips at what to look for at all would
be much appreciated! Thanks

I found 'this one' (http://tinyurl.com/2pt9t8) on ebay. Would this be
something good to begin on? I really have no clue hope you guys can
help me a bit.

I would recommend the LX as a decent starter uni. It is stronger than
the CX, and l less than the cost as that fancied up CX. Look he
http://shop.ebay.com/torker-lx_W0QQ_nkwZtorkerQ20lx

--
MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 12th 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
delcypher

A small wheeled unicycle would probably be easiest to start to learn
with (16"-20"), but if you know what type of riding you want to do,
trials, street, flatland, muni or road (all the disciplines I can think
of at the momment) you'll save yourself some money if you get the right
type first instead of buying a beginner unicycle and then a more
specific type.

This guide may help you:
http://www.unicycle.uk.com/FAQ.asp?iCategory=32

and

http://www.unicycle.com/Education.asp

I personally favour a trials unicycle, which usually have nice wide
tyres, which tends to make sideways balancing easier. I found trials
unis good for learning on and you can also do flatland and street on
them.

Hope that's some help, if you've got anymore questions then ask,
congratulations on choosing unicycling!

--
delcypher
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 12th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
oneisenough

MuniAddict wrote:
I would recommend the LX as a decent starter uni.

+1...Torker LX is about the best learner uni out there. I would
recomend the 20" for learning...but the 24 is also very fun.

--
oneisenough

Plaeze x-cuze mi spelin' (If its wrong)
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 13th 07, 12:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

one comment, the CX has a stronger wheelset than the LX, but the LX has
beter everything else.
the cx seat sucks...you would need to replace it.

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'my video!' (http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58465)
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 13th 07, 01:51 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CKCrowe

just get the LX, unless you want to save your money up for a really
serious uni like the DX, Qu-ax, Kris Holm, or Koxx one. starting
around 230 including shipping up to forever.

--
CKCrowe

1-5 Hours a day¿¿¿¿¿DX user¿¿¿¿reviewing skills¿¿¿
ï£ïð¢Ø²¶ºÞæßÜÆ©.com
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=unicrankflipMy Youtube Account
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 13th 07, 02:29 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
wuint

Thanks for the replys everyone! I think I will get a 20" LX, I'm excited
to get my own.

--
wuint
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 13th 07, 03:10 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Universal Unicorn

Good luck!

And can anyone tell me -why- a 20" is easier for learning? Just
wondering, since I am attempting to learn on a 20 and it feels so small
to me. I hate to say it, but I feel like a clown.

--
Universal Unicorn

placeholder for signature
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 13th 07, 03:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

For someone on a small budget, who won't buy more unis soon. A 20 is to
slow, a 24 is way more fun to explore town on.
I learned on a 20, and you can only learn once. I can't say it would
be just as easy on a 24. Who knows ? I have a KH 20 and 24. I use the
24 all the time. The 20 only to idle while a watch movies. I consider
the 20 an experts tool. Kind of boring for a new rider. Great to have
around, and it rules in the yard. I fear a lot of beginners may grow
bored with uni riding if all they have is a 20. If I could only have
one (shudder,gasp, choke ), I'd go with the 24. But really, all the
sizes have their place. I plan to get good enough to really use the 20
eventually. Right now the 24 and 36 are the only ones that ever leave
the yard.

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 13th 07, 04:32 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
austingillespie

My first uni was a 24'' and it's the perfect size to learn on I think.
The 24'' LX is my recomendation.

--
austingillespie
http://www.usenet.com

old newbie shorewoodmayor Unicycling 1 August 12th 07 08:51 PM
Em the Newbie mycatisonfire Unicycling 38 December 7th 06 10:54 PM
Newbie saying hello tallbloke UK 20 December 7th 06 01:50 AM
newbie lloydie Mountain Biking 5 August 6th 05 11:27 PM
Help me - newbie ianhargreaves Techniques 1 November 9th 04 07:11 PM