Foot Position

Old August 20th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
phlegm

Default Foot Position

The best is to use all foot positions available whenever they're
appropriate. I'm always shifting my feet around when I do MUni. I
tend to be on the balls when I'm climbing and on the arches when I'm
descending.

As long as you're not hurting yourself because of your foot position, I
wouldn't worry too much about it. Just put your feet however they feel
best and adjust as needed.

--
phlegm
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 20th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
yatsey

critter wrote:
I tink dat:

Taking big drops(about 2 feet) is all about compression on the
joints, not the spring in your step.
Don't take a big drop with your toes on the pedals unless you know wuz
sup.

But sureley if you put your arches on a big drop, that will impact much
more on your arches than it would on your toes. Think about it, you're
not compacting the toe joints like you would your ankles. You can use
your toe joints as a way of increasing the impulse across your ankle
and therefore reducing the impact of the force on the ankle.

--
yatsey

where the speechless unite in a silent in a silent accord
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 20th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

I use balls for *almost* everything. Always have, with no ill effects.

The *almost* is for hard cranking uphill, big drops and anything else
where you need power, or might risk hyperextending your ankle. For me
that equates to when I'm cranking up really steep hills (MUni). I don't
do that many big drops, though I can see the sense in using your arches
for that too.

For everything else, balls!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 20th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
maestro8

I'm with phlegm *ahem* *cough* *ptooie* erm, Kevin. Don't worry about
foot position so much... just do what's comfortable.

If you're having problems keeping your feet on the pedals, there are a
few things you can do... get a pedal with longer pins, try a different
shoe, or pull on your handle more.

When things get bumpy and your butt flies out of the seat, if you're
not pulling on the handle, you'll have a much harder time keeping your
feet on the pedals.

yatsey wrote:
You can use your toe joints as a way of increasing the impulse across
your ankle and therefore reducing the impact of the force on the ankle.

Sounds like the writings of someone who's never injured their ankle on
a drop.

Think of the foot as a lever, and the ankle as the fulcrum. For a
constant force on the foot, the longer the lever, the more torque is
applied to the ankle.

Stay off them toes when you drop, kiddies! Sprained ankles take a
while to heal!

--
maestro8

Groucho Marx

The only way to comprehend what mathematicians mean by Infinity is to
contemplate the extent of human stupidity. -- François-Marie Arouet de
Voltaire
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 20th 07, 10:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
yatsey

maestro8 wrote:
Sounds like the writings of someone who's never injured their ankle on a
drop.

....surely that makes my point even more valid. Seeing as I do drops
like that and havn't had an injured ankle from doing it.

Anyway, it's personal preference at the end of the day. You pick up
more the more you ride.

Old August 20th 07, 11:04 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Jerrick

For me, it depends. If im just cruising along, or doing drops under 2 or
so feet, its more on the balls of my feet. If I am doing trials, muni,
gapping sets, and big drops, 'I am on my arches'
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZT_z86ppEww).

Heres what happens when you do bi'g drops on your to'
(http://youtube.com/watch?v=BY85T_-tvMY)es. Just let the video load,
then skip to 5:59.

--
Jerrick

~*~!I ride for Christ, Fun, Challenges, and a lot
more!~*~
'!Gallery!' (http://tinyurl.com/gf2g9)
'!MRIS!' (http://tinyurl.com/jjjnz)
'Easy Tire Removal Guide.' (http://tinyurl.com/rd9ru)
My sponsor '~!SIXSIXONE!~' (http://sixsixone.com/)
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 20th 07, 11:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
tibluni

WHat size drops are you doing? for drops even just over 3 ft., having
the balls of your feet on the pedal give the back of the foot no
support, and leads to the straining of the achilles. i did that onces

--
tibluni
http://www.usenet.com
Old August 20th 07, 11:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
torkerdx

yatsey wrote:
....surely that makes my point even more valid. Seeing as I do drops
like that and havn't had an injured ankle from doing it.

Anyway, it's personal preference at the end of the day. You pick up
more the more you ride.

come ride with me. i know of a nice 9 set(nice and big) you can jump
that way. when you you break your ankles i wont be taking you to the
ER though.
their is a much better chance of messing up your ankles with your feet
o their balls as opposed to the arches.

--
torkerdx

gordito8me wrote:
it's like running across the highway at rush hour. Dangerous, stupid,
but not really that fun.

Unicaw89 wrote:
Koxx rapes Torker hard!

skianduniaddict wrote:
never give 4 teenagers a camera... they go crazy

johnfoss wrote:
Yes, being old makes you stupid.

http://www.usenet.com
Old August 21st 07, 12:44 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

yatsey wrote:
....surely that makes my point even more valid. Seeing as I do drops
like that and havn't had an injured ankle from doing it.

Wow, you must be an expert! Say, have you had any traumatic brain
injuries? If you don't wear a helmet and you haven't, I guess that
means we don't need to either!

More seriously, personal preference will get you so far. Advice that's
been collected from dozens or hundreds of people who've already been
there is a little more useful.

Old August 21st 07, 12:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
CKCrowe

yea all my weight it on the arches, it becomes natural over time I
think.

--
CKCrowe

1-5 Hours a day¿¿¿¿¿DX user¿¿¿¿reviewing skills¿¿¿
ï£ïð¢Ø²¶ºÞæßÜÆ
Give a man fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is
warm for the rest of his life-so be set on fire for JESUS CHRIST!!!

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=unicrankflipMy Youtube Account
http://www.usenet.com

Foot position on pedals tholub Unicycling 1 January 29th 07 06:49 PM
Foot position on pedals Joe2005 Unicycling 0 January 29th 07 04:28 PM
Foot Position benjaug Unicycling 12 December 29th 06 11:16 PM
Coker Foot Position pdc Unicycling 22 August 30th 05 10:12 PM
Foot position gpickett00 Unicycling 19 March 3rd 04 11:38 AM