Need Help with Pannier Rack

Old April 20th 09, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric Bohn

Default Need Help with Pannier Rack

I'm looking to do some extended loaded touring and would like to put
two sets of pannier bags on the rear rack. I've taken some
measurements and figured out that I need to get a rack that has at
least 48cm of rail space to mount the panniers on. The longest racks
I can find are 44cm and they are aluminum. Since I will be spending
alot of time outside I want to get a stainless steel rack.

Does anyone know of a rack maker that produces suck a rack, or someone
that custom builds racks?

Thank you.
Old April 20th 09, 10:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Woland99

On Apr 20, 4:25*pm, Eric Bohn wrote:
I'm looking to do some extended loaded touring and would like to put
two sets of pannier bags on the rear rack. *I've taken some
measurements and figured out that I need to get a rack that has at
least 48cm of rail space to mount the panniers on. *The longest racks
I can find are 44cm and they are aluminum. *Since I will be spending
alot of time outside I want to get a stainless steel rack.

Does anyone know of a rack maker that produces suck a rack, or someone
that custom builds racks?

Thank you.

I have a set of Ortlieb "backroller" panniers that I was using for
commuting to work.
and they have their mounting points adjustable - you can move them
back and forth
to accommodate given rack.
Old April 21st 09, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Eric Bohn

On Apr 20, 5:37*pm, Woland99 wrote:
I have a set of Ortlieb "backroller" panniers that I was using for
commuting to work.
and they have their mounting points adjustable - you can move them
back and forth
to accommodate given rack.

Yes, I actually already have the panniers. The problem is that the
mounting hooks can only be adjusted so close together with the bags
themselves being right up next to each other. That's where my 48cm
figure comes from.
Old April 21st 09, 07:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Eric Bohn wrote:

Does anyone know of a rack maker that produces suck a rack, or someone
that custom builds racks?

Thank you.

You might get Robert Beckman to make you up some racks like that. He
makes a 44.5 cm Cro-Mo rack so perhaps adding another 3.5 cm wouldn't be
too hard. All of his racks are custom made. Expect to pay at least $300,
probably more considering your unique requirements.

"http://www.coinet.com/~beckman/racksside.html"

You can e-mail him with what you're looking for.

What kind of loaded weight are you looking at for these two sets of
panniers (plus I assume you also will have front panniers)? That's a lot
of stuff you're carrying. I'd worry about how the bicycle will handle
with that much stuff, sitting so far back past the rear wheel.

By the way, what was the 44cm aluminum rack you found?
Old April 21st 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
pm

On Apr 20, 2:25*pm, Eric Bohn wrote:
I'm looking to do some extended loaded touring and would like to put
two sets of pannier bags on the rear rack. *I've taken some
measurements and figured out that I need to get a rack that has at
least 48cm of rail space to mount the panniers on. *The longest racks
I can find are 44cm and they are aluminum. *Since I will be spending
alot of time outside I want to get a stainless steel rack.

Does anyone know of a rack maker that produces suck a rack, or someone
that custom builds racks?

Thank you.

I can't see mounting four panniers on the rear without one of
(a) having no heel clearance,
(b) getting into a truly frightening handling regime (where you can't
stand up out of the saddle without the bike wanting to flop over on
you)
or (c) using an Xtracycle kit or longtail frame.

-pm
Old April 21st 09, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Apr 21, 7:11*pm, Eric Bohn wrote:
On Apr 20, 5:37*pm, Woland99 wrote:

I have a set of Ortlieb "backroller" panniers that I was using for
commuting to work.
and they have their mounting points adjustable - you can move them
back and forth
to accommodate given rack.

Yes, I actually already have the panniers. *The problem is that the
mounting hooks can only be adjusted so close together with the bags
themselves being right up next to each other. *That's where my 48cm
figure comes from.

This sounds like you want to hang the panniers side by side on the
same side of the bike. The normal way is one pannier to each side of
the rear wheel, and if you have four panniers, a further pannier to
each side of the front wheel. With two panniers side by side on one
side of the bike at the rear you're bound to catch your heel when you
start pedalling.

Andre Jute
You can ride only one bike at a time

Old April 21st 09, 11:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy M-S

On Apr 20, 5:25*pm, Eric Bohn wrote:
I'm looking to do some extended loaded touring and would like to put
two sets of pannier bags on the rear rack. *I've taken some
measurements and figured out that I need to get a rack that has at
least 48cm of rail space to mount the panniers on. *The longest racks
I can find are 44cm and they are aluminum. *Since I will be spending
alot of time outside I want to get a stainless steel rack.

Does anyone know of a rack maker that produces suck a rack, or someone
that custom builds racks?

Thank you.

The longest production rack that I know of is about 41cm in the rails
(maybe) and that's the Jandd Expedition (details he
https://www.bikebagshop.com/jandd-ex...ck-p-1165.html or
at Jandd's site). It's a pretty heavy-duty rack. If you're going to
get much longer than this, you might consider something a little more
radical, like a trailer or an Xtracycle (http://www.xtracycle.com).
Old April 22nd 09, 01:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tony

In article
,
Eric Bohn wrote:

On Apr 20, 5:37*pm, Woland99 wrote:
I have a set of Ortlieb "backroller" panniers that I was using for
commuting to work.
and they have their mounting points adjustable - you can move them
back and forth
to accommodate given rack.

Yes, I actually already have the panniers. The problem is that the
mounting hooks can only be adjusted so close together with the bags
themselves being right up next to each other. That's where my 48cm
figure comes from.

While the xtracycle approach would work ok, consider a front rack from
Old Man Mountain, which sells in racks designed for use with front
suspensions. You'd end up with less weight and a better distribution of
that weight.

my old pannier rack congokid UK 13 April 14th 08 02:03 PM
Pannier Rack Fitting. salmon[_2_] UK 2 March 26th 08 01:41 PM
Pannier Rack recommendations please. salmon[_2_] UK 20 March 11th 08 11:51 AM
Rack and pannier recommendations? [email protected] General 3 April 26th 07 12:44 AM
Pannier bag on top of rack Michael General 1 October 20th 03 01:40 AM