Giant (the make!) frame sizes

Old July 11th 03, 06:07 PM
Phillip T. Murphy

Default Giant (the make!) frame sizes

"Jaz" wrote in message
Hi,

My question is, does someone with a little experience with Giant hardtails
have any comments on the frame size? Are they 'normal' or do they tend to

be
larger than other manufacturers etc.

I'm about 5'9 (maybe just shy of) with about 30" inseam. I have the choice
between a 17" and 19" model. I'm thinking the 17" would be most

appropriate
(I'm a weekend warrior but need it for road use a little too).

I just went into my LBS yesterday and sat on the Giant Bikes. I am also 5'
9" and have a 30" inseam. The dealer suggested the 19" for me.

By the way, where are you considering purchasing on-line?

Thanks,

Phillip

Old July 11th 03, 08:25 PM
Chris

"Phillip T. Murphy" wrote in message

By the way, where are you considering purchasing on-line?

Thanks,

Phillip

From the original post:

"I live out in the sticks so there is no advantage for
me to buy from a LBS (since, there isn't one!) so I'll be ordering one
online. I'm OK with bike mechanics so should be OK."

Chris

Old July 11th 03, 09:40 PM
Phillip T. Murphy

By the way, where are you considering purchasing on-line?

Thanks,

Phillip

From the original post:

"I live out in the sticks so there is no advantage for
me to buy from a LBS (since, there isn't one!) so I'll be ordering one
online. I'm OK with bike mechanics so should be OK."

Chris

Chris, I think you misunderstood my post. WHERE are you considering buying
Giant on line? I would like to go to the site and do some price comparison
and shopping.

Thanks,

Old July 11th 03, 09:44 PM
Mathijs Brands

In article nk.net, Chris wrote:

"Phillip T. Murphy" wrote in message

By the way, where are you considering purchasing on-line?

Thanks,

Phillip

From the original post:

"I live out in the sticks so there is no advantage for
me to buy from a LBS (since, there isn't one!) so I'll be ordering one
online. I'm OK with bike mechanics so should be OK."

Where, not why, hmm

Cheers,

Mathijs
Old July 12th 03, 12:58 AM

"Jaz" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I'm in the market for a cheapish Giant hardtail (something along the lines
of a Rincon or Yukon). I live out in the sticks so there is no advantage for
me to buy from a LBS (since, there isn't one!) so I'll be ordering one
online. I'm OK with bike mechanics so should be OK.

My question is, does someone with a little experience with Giant hardtails
have any comments on the frame size? Are they 'normal' or do they tend to be
larger than other manufacturers etc.

I'm about 5'9 (maybe just shy of) with about 30" inseam. I have the choice
between a 17" and 19" model. I'm thinking the 17" would be most appropriate
(I'm a weekend warrior but need it for road use a little too).

Any comments? I realise going to a bike shop is the best solution but even
my "local" bike shops (60-70km away) don't have Giants so I'm just going to
order online and be done with it.

Would like some advice before I do tho

Thanks guys/gals,
Jaz

I'm 5' 11" with a 34 inseam and ride a Giant 19" frame.
Old July 12th 03, 02:14 AM
mitchell mandell

Hey I ride a yukon. 2004 Model its excellent value (good
beginners/intermediate bike) . Im over 100% happy with mine Nice geo's
(super tough) Longer top tube. feels nice with the lay back risers. (feel
more in control) i am 5'6 I got the 17" frame..

my brother tried the 19" frame it was perfect. hes about 6'1... But he has
long legs the Lay back riser i think may have caused probs with his knees
touching...i would probably recommend the 19"

im going to go ride mine now. i cant seem to get off it.

Old July 12th 03, 05:36 AM
Chris

"Phillip T. Murphy" wrote in message

Chris, I think you misunderstood my post. WHERE are you considering

buying
Giant on line? I would like to go to the site and do some price

comparison
and shopping.

Yes, yes...too many beers with a very late lunch, and I read "why." Sorry.

Chris

Old July 12th 03, 06:22 AM
Westie

"Jaz" wrote in message
[...]

I've got an NRS in an 18.5 size. It's full suspension. I'm 5'7" with a
30" or thereabouts inseam. Fits well although it's on the larger size for
me with not so much standover clearance. I tried the 16.5 but the length up
top didn't feel right for me. I 'd probably go for the 17 if I were you.
--
Westie

Old July 13th 03, 02:47 PM
Jaz

By the way, where are you considering purchasing on-line?

Thanks,

Phillip

Hi,

I'm in the UK so this probably won't be a lot of use to you, but there are
quite a few places online to purchase them here... dalescycles.com is where
I'm looking at, at the moment.

When you sat on the 19" models, what sort of clearance did you have over the
top bar?

Cheers,
Jaz

Old July 13th 03, 02:50 PM
Jaz

One thing I'm curious about. Giant does not allow its dealers to sell
online. It is specifically prohibited in the dealer agreement. This

leads
me to suspect you are about to buy an older model and/or used bike. Once
you have it in hand, it is well worth the trip to the LBS to get it
inspected, assembled, etc.

I'm in the UK so I suspect Giant's rules for online sales are different over
here? There are quite a lot of UK dealers who sell online so I'd suspect
it's OK.

Any idea why Giant prohibit this in the states?

Jaz

titanium frame repair/recommedations? raciere General 2 July 11th 04 04:07 PM
bike frame sizes.... Phillip General 3 June 7th 04 01:02 PM
Bar end shifters for touring bike ? jacques General 61 December 7th 03 01:01 AM
Threaded versus threadless headset Hjalmar Duklęt General 64 August 29th 03 06:55 PM
Broken Frame Question Jim Edgar General 1 August 26th 03 05:56 PM