Full Length Grip Shifts?

Old August 30th 03, 11:14 AM
Julius

Default Full Length Grip Shifts?

As for Gripshift I think they're not precise anyway - but that's just my
opinion

Full length shiftgrips wouldn't provide a good grip on the bar, would they?

I've been using Grip Shift but now I'm glad with my Rapid Fire :-)

Julius

"Edward Holt" schrieb im Newsbeitrag
My old '96 Specialized Rockhopper had full length grip shifts.
By that I mean the whole of the rubberised grip was used as a shifting
mechanism.
As I prefer Grip Shift to rapid fire, I've ordered some Rockets to replace
the Shimanos on my current bike.
I now see that the current Grip Shifts mechanism is only half the length

of
the full grip - what's changed?

Old August 30th 03, 11:59 AM

My 98 Proflex / K2 came with Rapid Fire before weeksend
I changed them to Sram Grip Shift. The same with the GT. The Raleigh
M 60 came with Grip Shift.. The ACCESS I built up with Grip Shift. The
K2 Attack came with Grip Shift. The Schwinn Probe came with Friction
Shifters changed to Grip Shift.. GT came to me with 1st generation Grip
Shift one was snapped at elbow replaced with newer Grip Shift. I
still own them all but one GT.

Fire up MTB 03

Old August 30th 03, 04:45 PM
d_d

"Edward Holt" wrote in
:

My old '96 Specialized Rockhopper had full length grip shifts.
By that I mean the whole of the rubberised grip was used as a shifting
mechanism.
As I prefer Grip Shift to rapid fire, I've ordered some Rockets to
replace the Shimanos on my current bike.
I now see that the current Grip Shifts mechanism is only half the
length of the full grip - what's changed?

Using the whole grip would make the shifters prone to accidental shifts.
I guess riding styles have changed enough from '96 to where enough
riders want to be able to apply twist to the bars without shifting.
Old August 30th 03, 06:19 PM
Stephen Baker

Julius says:

Exactly what I was trying to say wis my limited noledge of ze English
languatch - just jokin' :-)

Don't joke - even what you wrote above is better than some "English-speakers"
can do ;-))

Anyone agree that Grip Shift sucks anyway?

Nope! I love mine.

Steve
Old August 30th 03, 08:20 PM
Gman

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 10:55:19 +0100, Edward Holt wrote:
My old '96 Specialized Rockhopper had full length grip shifts.
By that I mean the whole of the rubberised grip was used as a shifting
mechanism.
As I prefer Grip Shift to rapid fire, I've ordered some Rockets to replace
the Shimanos on my current bike.
I now see that the current Grip Shifts mechanism is only half the length of
the full grip - what's changed?

You really don't want the entire grip to move do
you??? That would totally freak me out...heck,
when _half_ the grip moves it freaks me out!

Gman "maybe that's why I don't shift"
Old August 30th 03, 10:51 PM
deluxe model

wrote:
My old '96 Specialized Rockhopper had full length grip shifts.
By that I mean the whole of the rubberised grip was used as a shifting
mechanism.
As I prefer Grip Shift to rapid fire, I've ordered some Rockets to

replace
the Shimanos on my current bike.
I now see that the current Grip Shifts mechanism is only half the length

of
the full grip - what's changed?

You really don't want the entire grip to move do
you??? That would totally freak me out...heck,
when _half_ the grip moves it freaks me out!

Gman "maybe that's why I don't shift"

Grip shifts freak me out.

Old August 31st 03, 12:58 PM
Edward Holt

wrote:
My old '96 Specialized Rockhopper had full length grip shifts.
By that I mean the whole of the rubberised grip was used as a shifting
mechanism.
As I prefer Grip Shift to rapid fire, I've ordered some Rockets to

replace
the Shimanos on my current bike.
I now see that the current Grip Shifts mechanism is only half the length

of
the full grip - what's changed?

You really don't want the entire grip to move do
you??? That would totally freak me out...heck,
when _half_ the grip moves it freaks me out!

Gman "maybe that's why I don't shift"

I'd actually prefer it if the whole grip moved.
I never had a problem with my old bike which had full length grip shifters.

Old September 1st 03, 08:58 AM
spademan o---[\) *

"Julius" wrote in message
Exactly what I was trying to say wis my limited noledge of ze English
languatch - just jokin' :-)

Julius

Anyone agree that Grip Shift sucks anyway?

Not all gripshifts are the same. If I could find a replacement set of
SRT-600's or 800's I wouldn't have to move on to the technological minefield
that is the thumbshifter.

Steve.

Old September 1st 03, 03:17 PM
Gman

On Sun, 31 Aug 2003 12:58:36 +0100, Edward Holt wrote:
"Gman" wrote in message
You really don't want the entire grip to move do
you??? That would totally freak me out...heck,
when _half_ the grip moves it freaks me out!

Gman "maybe that's why I don't shift"

I'd actually prefer it if the whole grip moved.
I never had a problem with my old bike which had full length grip shifters.

But what happens when you are pushing the bike
forward, pulling a wheelie, or just maneuvering
quickly in some tech stuff??? Don't you get
unwanted shifting?