92 year old frightened to go out after second pavement cyclist causes him injury

Old November 21st 11, 08:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mrcheerful[_2_]

Default 92 year old frightened to go out after second pavement cyclist causes him injury

"I went through the war and spent three-and-a-half years in a Japanese
prisoner of war camp and came out without a scratch, but have now been left
incapacitated by inconsiderate cyclists," he said.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...#ixzz1eNK8HEpZ

Old November 22nd 11, 07:58 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Doug[_3_]

Default 92 year old frightened to go out after second pavement cyclistmissed him.

On Nov 21, 8:50*pm, "Mrcheerful" wrote:
"I went through the war and spent three-and-a-half years in a Japanese
prisoner of war camp and came out without a scratch, but have now been left
incapacitated by inconsiderate cyclists," he said.

*http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...21/pensioner-v....

It says...

“All of a sudden a cyclist whizzed past me, then another one – they
were obviously racing each other,” he said.

“I sensed I might be hit so I turned to avoid them and turned too
quickly and went down on my knee.”

So, like most 92 year olds he was unsteady on his feet and that is why
he is too frightened to go out. He would be equally incapacitated if a
pavement motorist came too close.

Maybe he should get a minder at his age.

As legitimate pavement user, I have often noticed that old people,
like myself, are unsteady and wobble about pavements while getting in
the way of younger users. Pavements are often obstructed too by fat
people carrying shopping bags in each hand, thus increasing their
width, and people preoccupied by mobile phones, and several people
walking line abreast in earnest conversation and that is why I never
cycle on pavements because they are too obstructed and no safer from
frequently crashing cars as roads are anyway.

I can understand why people cycle on pavements, to make themselves
feel safer, but they are silly to do so.

Doug.

Old November 22nd 11, 05:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_7_]

On 22/11/2011 07:58, Doug wrote:
On Nov 21, 8:50 pm, wrote:
"I went through the war and spent three-and-a-half years in a Japanese
prisoner of war camp and came out without a scratch, but have now been left
incapacitated by inconsiderate cyclists," he said.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...21/pensioner-v...

It says...

“All of a sudden a cyclist whizzed past me, then another one – they
were obviously racing each other,” he said.

“I sensed I might be hit so I turned to avoid them and turned too
quickly and went down on my knee.”

So, like most 92 year olds he was unsteady on his feet and that is why
he is too frightened to go out. He would be equally incapacitated if a
pavement motorist came too close.

Maybe he should get a minder at his age.

sharp intake of breath

*Anything* rather than condemn pavement cyclists, eh?
Old November 22nd 11, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bertie Wooster

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:01:19 +0000, JNugent
wrote:

On 22/11/2011 07:58, Doug wrote:
On Nov 21, 8:50 pm, wrote:
"I went through the war and spent three-and-a-half years in a Japanese
prisoner of war camp and came out without a scratch, but have now been left
incapacitated by inconsiderate cyclists," he said.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...21/pensioner-v...

It says...

“All of a sudden a cyclist whizzed past me, then another one – they
were obviously racing each other,” he said.

“I sensed I might be hit so I turned to avoid them and turned too
quickly and went down on my knee.”

So, like most 92 year olds he was unsteady on his feet and that is why
he is too frightened to go out. He would be equally incapacitated if a
pavement motorist came too close.

Maybe he should get a minder at his age.

sharp intake of breath

*Anything* rather than condemn pavement cyclists, eh?

To be fair, he did call pavement cyclists "silly".
Old November 22nd 11, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Pounder

"Doug" wrote in message
[...]

I don't normally post to you, but what you have just said was pathetic.
Please tell me you were not serious.

Old November 22nd 11, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly polly

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message
"I went through the war and spent three-and-a-half years in a Japanese
prisoner of war camp and came out without a scratch, but have now been
left incapacitated by inconsiderate cyclists," he said.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...#ixzz1eNK8HEpZ

An example of why it is a criminal offence to cycle upon the pavement. But a
law is useless if not enforced.

Old November 22nd 11, 09:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Dragon

On 22/11/2011 07:58, Doug wrote:
On Nov 21, 8:50 pm, wrote:
[...]

OK, I get it, it wasn't the law breaking anti social cyclist who was at
fault, it was the 92 year old man walking on the pavement fault.

Old November 23rd 11, 05:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 22, 9:06*pm, "Jolly polly" wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message

"I went through the war and spent three-and-a-half years in a Japanese
prisoner of war camp and came out without a scratch, but have now been
left incapacitated by inconsiderate cyclists," he said.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...21/pensioner-v...

An example of why it is a criminal offence to cycle upon the pavement. But a
law is useless if not enforced.

Or you could make pavement cycling legal with the liberal appliance of
some magic paint TM.

--
Simon Mason
Old November 23rd 11, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Jolly polly

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Nov 22, 9:06 pm, "Jolly polly" wrote:
"Mrcheerful" wrote in message

"I went through the war and spent three-and-a-half years in a Japanese
prisoner of war camp and came out without a scratch, but have now been
left incapacitated by inconsiderate cyclists," he said.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...21/pensioner-v...

An example of why it is a criminal offence to cycle upon the pavement. But
law is useless if not enforced.

Or you could make pavement cycling legal with the liberal appliance of
some magic paint TM.

Why would you want to do that?

it would make pedestrians (of which we are all from time to time) both feel
and be unsafe from reckless and irresponsible cyclists

it is a slippery slope on which to venture

Old November 23rd 11, 08:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_4_]

On Nov 23, 8:00*am, "Jolly polly" wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message

On Nov 22, 9:06 pm, "Jolly polly" wrote:

"Mrcheerful" wrote in message

"I went through the war and spent three-and-a-half years in a Japanese
prisoner of war camp and came out without a scratch, but have now been
left incapacitated by inconsiderate cyclists," he said.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/t...21/pensioner-v....

An example of why it is a criminal offence to cycle upon the pavement. But
law is useless if not enforced.

Or you could make pavement cycling legal with the liberal appliance of
some magic paint TM.

Why would you want to do that?

it would make pedestrians (of which we are all from time to time) both feel
and be unsafe from reckless and irresponsible cyclists

it is a slippery slope on which to venture

I use a four mile long ex-rail line every day which is shared use.
Apart from the odd idiot on illegal bikes, we seem to get along just
fine and no magic paint is required.
This yob had his machine crushed after I sent the footage to the cops.

http://www.swldxer.co.uk/bike2.wmv

--
Simon Mason