I-Pod war?

Old April 6th 06, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default I-Pod war?

You guys amaze me.
Some of you, at least.
I posted a pointer to an article that was written about the possibility
of I-Pods damaging a persons hearing, and it turned into a flame war.
Chill, ride, summer is coming.
Bill Baka
Old April 7th 06, 02:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"Bill Baka" wrote in message
. com...
You guys amaze me.
Some of you, at least.
I posted a pointer to an article that was written about the possibility of
I-Pods damaging a persons hearing, and it turned into a flame war.
Chill, ride, summer is coming.
Bill Baka

That's because a certain poster leapt at the opportunity to become the
safety nanny for the newsgroup. Why people can't just STFU and mind their
own business is beyond me.

Old April 7th 06, 03:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

My safety is my business, and I'll happily remind people to obey the
law. Want to listen to an iPod and ride? Do it on the trainer. Wearing
one on the bike path or street is being selfish and a finger in the eye
of other's safety.

I don't go on about helmets, that's personal choice, but riding the
wrong way, or riding and choosing to cut off one of your senses affects
everybody's safety.

Your freedom ends where mine begins.

Old April 7th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"landotter" wrote in message
oups.com...
My safety is my business, and I'll happily remind people to obey the
law.

You are not the police, you safety Nazi. Whatever happened to "live and let
live"?

Want to listen to an iPod and ride? Do it on the trainer. Wearing
one on the bike path or street is being selfish and a finger in the eye
of other's safety.

You are in more danger of being run over by a harried motorist on a cell
phone, or run into by a racer hammering head down.

I don't go on about helmets, that's personal choice, but riding the
wrong way, or riding and choosing to cut off one of your senses affects
everybody's safety.

Your freedom ends where mine begins.

Again, you have more to worry about than cyclists wearing headphones. Do you
freak out in winter when they're wearing earmuffs or ear bands? How about on
windy days? If you're such a wuss that cycling in public is that scary for
you, I suggest you buy a Lifecycle.

Old April 7th 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:52:57 GMT, "Gooserider"
wrote, in part:

Do you
freak out in winter when they're wearing earmuffs or ear bands?

The point remains that wearing headphones or pair of ear-buds while
operating a vehicle is illegal in many, if not most, jurisdictions.
AFAIK, ear muffs aren't similarly proscribed.

While the "safety" issue is often overblown there are liability
issues. IOW, you might and likely will have a harder time getting
compensation from insurers if you are wearing headphones when
involved in a collision.

Here it's technically illegal for pedestrians to have both ears
covered with headphones or plugged with ear-buds while crossing the
street. IMO that's merely a handy escape clause for the insurer.

The problem with these laws is that they're not enforced unless it's
strictly a hassle bust and excuse to shake down the offender.

Now let's move on to a decent guns or dogs thread so we can get back
to the regularly scheduled helmet wars.
--
zk
Old April 7th 06, 06:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Jogging or bicycling with headphones on is inherently dangerous.
Old April 7th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

jb wrote:

Jogging or bicycling with headphones on is inherently dangerous.

So is getting out of bed in the morning.

Bill "willing to risk it" S.

Old April 7th 06, 10:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

"jb" wrote in message
news
Jogging or bicycling with headphones on is inherently dangerous.

So is LIFE. Hell, so is bicycling in traffic. Why don't you just stay home
under the covers?

Old April 7th 06, 12:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

jb wrote:
Jogging or bicycling with headphones on is inherently dangerous.

No it's not.
A car behind me is a car behind me whether I can hear it or not. Are
you able to tell whether that car behind you is coming straight for you
or is steering to go around you by hearing alone? Do you look back
everytime you hear a car behind you? Do you ever make a change in
direction without visually checking around you first? And you have to
have your music on pretty loud not to be able to hear sirens and horns.

And jogging, I always jog against traffic anyway to make sure I see
who's gunning for me.

laters,

Marz

Old April 7th 06, 12:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Gooserider wrote:
"jb" wrote in message
news
Jogging or bicycling with headphones on is inherently dangerous.

So is LIFE. Hell, so is bicycling in traffic. Why don't you just stay home
under the covers?

Bed rest is quite dangerous too.

But then the odds of living to 100 years are quite small.