Does *anyone* like the Google Groups interface for RBM?

Old March 11th 09, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default Does *anyone* like the Google Groups interface for RBM?

Google does many things very well, but their approach to Usenet news
readers is just awful.

J.
Old March 11th 09, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Mar 10, 6:27*pm, " wrote:
Google does many things very well, but their approach to Usenet news
readers is just awful.

J.

Why don't you design and market a your approach.
Maybe the world will beat a path to your door.
ABS
Old March 11th 09, 08:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

jbollyn wrote:

Google does many things very well, but their approach to Usenet news
readers is just awful.

Most (not all) of the objections I have had to it were fixable by
using "topic list" and "view as tree" and "fixed font" settings. And
then doing it again every time I clear out the cookie jar.

"Rate this post" seems pointless at best. And the default web-forums-
style presentation is atrocious. But in my preferred configuration, I
like it much better than forums and Yahoo Groups. And I like the fact
that it is accessible from any computer I have access to, and I don't
have to use a clunky shell account.

Chalo
Old March 11th 09, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Chalo Colina wrote:
jbollyn wrote:
Google does many things very well, but their approach to Usenet news
readers is just awful.

Most (not all) of the objections I have had to it were fixable by
using "topic list" and "view as tree" and "fixed font" settings. And
then doing it again every time I clear out the cookie jar.

"Rate this post" seems pointless at best. And the default web-forums-
style presentation is atrocious. But in my preferred configuration, I
like it much better than forums and Yahoo Groups. And I like the fact
that it is accessible from any computer I have access to, and I don't
have to use a clunky shell account.

Google thinks you are a spammer if you post too much, and freezes the
account for a few hours. This makes it hard to participate in flame wars.

Google also refuses to honor the signature separator and deletes blank
lines at times, mashing stuff together.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old March 11th 09, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DanKMTB

On Mar 10, 10:27*pm, " wrote:
Google does many things very well, but their approach to Usenet news
readers is just awful.

J.

I tried a couple real newsreaders, and like the GG interface more. I
like the forum approach for whatever reason.
Old March 11th 09, 05:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jym Dyer

Most (not all) of the objections I have had to it were
fixable by using "topic list" and "view as tree" and
"fixed font" settings.

=v= In fact that's how DejaNews originally had it, before
Google acquired them, wrote the worse interface, and made
it the default.

=v= It blows my mind that Google is completely incompetent
about spam in this realm, too.
_Jym_

Old March 11th 09, 05:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Chalo

Jym Dyer wrote:

Chalo wrote:

Most (not all) of the objections I have had to it were
fixable by using "topic list" and "view as tree" and
"fixed font" settings.

=v= In fact that's how DejaNews originally had it, before
Google acquired them, wrote the worse interface, and made
it the default.

I remember. When I started using Google Groups, they hadn't done
anything to functionally change the Deja interface yet. Every time
they changed anything, it was for the worse. It still is,
unfortunately.

=v= It blows my mind that Google is completely incompetent
about spam in this realm, too.

You know, most things about Google seem to be slipping. A _lot_ more
of my real email winds up in the Gmail spam bucket lately, and
Google's Boolean and other enhanced search functions don't work right
anymore. Phrase searching and hyphenated searching are completely
broken. It makes things a lot harder to find in an ever larger and
increasingly crap-clogged web.

On the other hand, Google Maps just keeps getting better. I can't
think of much else that is noticeably improving in Goo-world,
though.

Chalo

OT Google Groups Question [email protected] Techniques 18 March 1st 08 01:46 AM
Google Groups Killfile MattB[_2_] Mountain Biking 2 August 15th 07 12:49 PM
Google Groups killfile Donga Australia 2 July 3rd 07 01:26 PM
Google Groups up again [email protected] Techniques 9 September 27th 06 09:35 PM
Ratings in Google Groups Scott Gordo Mountain Biking 1 February 11th 06 12:01 AM