when-a-bike-is-not-a-bike [sic]

Old October 1st 16, 09:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

Default when-a-bike-is-not-a-bike [sic]

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/whe...health-device/

--
Wes Groleau
Old October 1st 16, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 1 Oct 2016 15:50:46 -0500, "W. Wesley Groleau"
wrote:

http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/whe...health-device/

Been there, done that, sorta. In April 2016, the warranty ran out on
my triple bypass job and I had to have two stents inserted in my
inside plumbing. Things did not go smoothly. I was sentenced by the
cardiologist to about 3 months of hard labor in "cardiac rehab". That
means spending about 45 minutes, twice or thrice per week, on a fixed
torture device, while the exercise inquisitors made sure that I would
experience maximum exertion without killing myself. Naturally, I
chose a machine that most closely resembled a bicycle.

I would say that the bicycle like contraption worked well[1]. I was
somewhat of a physical wreck during the first few sessions. Three
months later, I was able to push myself to well beyond what I could do
on a moving bicycle. The difference is that the fixed bicycle does
not require that I deal with traffic, pedestrians, road hazards, etc.
I can concentrate 100.0% on pushing myself as hard as possible,
interval timing, simulating hill climbs, and adjusting the resistance.
In addition to the usual foot pedals, the machine I selected hand
alternating arm handles, which was good for upper body exercise. I
would say that an exercise machine was much better for my recovery
than a moving bicycle.

I'm not diabetic, so I don't know if my experiences apply to other
medical conditions. I suspect that the article is aimed at those
diabetics who have never exercised a day in their life, and now are
forced to start somewhere. I guess an electric bicycle might be a
tolerable start, but also suspect that a fixed bicycle exercise
machine would be at least as good, if not better.

Unfortunately, the high quality exercise machines used for rehab are
far too expensive. I managed to find a suitable used machine for
$2,400, but declined to buy one. For now, I'm using an indoor rear
wheel trainer stand and will continue to look for something
affordable.

[1] The major limitation was that I am on beta blockers and
vasodilators, which put an upper limit on the number of beats per
minute and blood pressure that I can produce. My calculated aerobic
limit conveniently coincided close to my beta blocker limit. It was
easy to tell when I hit my limit. Instant chest pains (angina).

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 1st 16, 11:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-10-01 13:50, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/whe...health-device/

Quote "Why are people inactive, especially when they have diabetes and
know how much physical activity could benefit them?"

The answer for many of them was unbelievable to me at first but I've
heard it so many times that I believe them now: "Nah, that's too much, I
don't feel like exercising". IOW they rather pop a pill instead.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old October 2nd 16, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 2016-10-01 13:50, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/whe...health-device/

Quote "Why are people inactive, especially when they have diabetes and
know how much physical activity could benefit them?"

The answer for many of them was unbelievable to me at first but I've
heard it so many times that I believe them now: "Nah, that's too much, I
don't feel like exercising". IOW they rather pop a pill instead.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Or they listen to someone or read about constantly complaining about how much equipment they break per activity and the other person decides that exercising isn't worth the hassle/expense. VBEG LOL

Cheers
Old October 2nd 16, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

wrote:

[...]

was the fire clear of your location ?
Old October 2nd 16, 06:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 1 Oct 2016 18:43:44 -0700 (PDT), DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
wrote:

was the fire clear of your location ?

Yes. A very light breeze was blowing the smoke towards Monterey and
away from my location, resulting in clear air at my location.

The Loma Prieta fire spent most of its time on the Santa Clara county
side of the hill, with only a small excursion into Santa Cruz county.
I'm about 10 miles away from the fire in Ben Lomond:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1h6SlHbdj4s6D_iFxT6kULTFTXRw
http://www.mercurynews.com/tag/loma-fire/
http://www.fire.ca.gov/current_incidents/incidentdetails/Index/1457
The weather guesser has predicted drizzles for Sunday and Monday,
which should be a big help.

Old October 2nd 16, 02:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doc O'Leary[_20_]

For your reference, records indicate that

On 2016-10-01 13:50, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/whe...health-device/

Quote "Why are people inactive, especially when they have diabetes and
know how much physical activity could benefit them?"

The answer for many of them was unbelievable to me at first but I've
heard it so many times that I believe them now: "Nah, that's too much, I
don't feel like exercising". IOW they rather pop a pill instead.

In the other direction, I was listening to a program the other day on
the topic of our sedentary modern lifestyles. Part of the discussion
was about things you could do in the workplace to be more active
(standing or treadmill desks, etc.). Then they *seriously* brought up
the notion that driverless cars might actually be helpful, because
they could allow the passengers to exercise during their commute
instead of just sitting in traffic. I practically screamed.

Personally, though, I think it’s a marketing error to dryly sell a
bike as a health device. They’d do much better with a campaign that
appeals to the laziness of the pill poppers. “Your doctor says you
should exercise for 30 minutes a day. Why not enjoy a fun bike ride
instead?”

--
"Also . . . I can kill you with my brain."
River Tam, Trash, Firefly

Old October 2nd 16, 03:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2016-10-01 13:50, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/whe...health-device/

Quote "Why are people inactive, especially when they have diabetes and
know how much physical activity could benefit them?"

The answer for many of them was unbelievable to me at first but I've
heard it so many times that I believe them now: "Nah, that's too much, I
don't feel like exercising". IOW they rather pop a pill instead.

In the other direction, I was listening to a program the other day on
the topic of our sedentary modern lifestyles. Part of the discussion
was about things you could do in the workplace to be more active
(standing or treadmill desks, etc.).

I organized my office in a way that I must get out of my chair to grab
the most frequently used books, start the scanner, and so on. Just
barely out of reach. But that's just to stretch, not real exercise.
Occasionally when waiting for a computer simulation I do push-ups. When
the sim is going to run for another 2h ... I go for a bike ride :-)

It helps to have the bicycles a mere 20ft from the office chair.

Then they *seriously* brought up
the notion that driverless cars might actually be helpful, because
they could allow the passengers to exercise during their commute
instead of just sitting in traffic. I practically screamed.

Personally, though, I think it’s a marketing error to dryly sell a
bike as a health device. They’d do much better with a campaign that
appeals to the laziness of the pill poppers. “Your doctor says you
should exercise for 30 minutes a day. Why not enjoy a fun bike ride
instead?”

The main thing is to provide safe biking environments. We have a
contrast here that could hardly be more extreme. In Folsom (California)
and westwards lots of nice bike paths were built. Therefore, lots of
people cycle there. Anywhere east where I live, almost nada. It's often
so bad that when another rider comes along on the opposite side we
enthusiastically wave.

Most people I know simply will not ride on a major thoroughfare. Then
they use the car.

Old October 2nd 16, 09:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DougC

On 2016-10-01 13:50, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
http://www.diabetesincontrol.com/whe...health-device/

Quote "Why are people inactive, especially when they have diabetes and
know how much physical activity could benefit them?"

The answer for many of them was unbelievable to me at first but I've
heard it so many times that I believe them now: "Nah, that's too much, I
don't feel like exercising". IOW they rather pop a pill instead.

Yea, but somebody who broke their leg yesterday probably doesn't want to
go jogging this morning either.

Old October 2nd 16, 11:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Joerg wrote:

On 2016-10-01 13:50, W. Wesley Groleau wrote:
[...]

I thought that had already been covered:

http://www.bikeforest.com/tread/index.php