Car ban during heat wave

Old July 5th 18, 12:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default Car ban during heat wave

On Thursday, 5 July 2018 12:02:28 UTC+1, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:

I am selling my house and buying a motorhome to bum around Europe
all summer in 2019 like the Dutch do. Cheap diesel, wine and food.
Life is good.

No cycling?

I went out on my Scott CR1 yesterday, but the rear mech went into the back wheel and smashed to bits. LBS says that the frame is bent and as it is Carbon, they won't bend it back. :-(
Old July 5th 18, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bruce 'Not Glug' Lee

wrote:
On Thursday, 5 July 2018 12:34:04 UTC+1, Bruce 'Not Glug' Lee wrote:
wrote:
On Thursday, 5 July 2018 12:02:28 UTC+1, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:

I am selling my house and buying a motorhome to bum around Europe
all summer in 2019 like the Dutch do. Cheap diesel, wine and food.
Life is good.

No cycling?

I went out on my Scott CR1 yesterday, but the rear mech went into the
back wheel and smashed to bits. LBS says that the frame is bent and as it
is Carbon, they won't bend it back. :-(

Actually managed to change my own brake pads t'other day on my Giant Defy.
But I couldn't get the back wheel in past the chain, and in trying to do so
(after having removed the bike from the track stand), I dropped the frame.
Rear mec mangled, and frame damaged.

I just need to persuade 'er indoors now that the n+1 rule isn't a myth....

Mine has just taken the CR1 to another LBS and in the meantime, I have e-mailed an old workmate to see if he will give me back a Fondriest I gave his son last year as it was just lying around.

Buy a new one, you skinflint. :-)

--
john smith |MA (Hons)|MPhil (Hons)|CAPES (mention très bien)|LLB (Hons)
'It never gets any easier. You just get faster'
Old July 5th 18, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Thursday, July 5, 2018 at 12:25:08 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, 5 July 2018 12:02:28 UTC+1, Kerr-Mudd,John wrote:

I am selling my house and buying a motorhome to bum around Europe
all summer in 2019 like the Dutch do. Cheap diesel, wine and food.
Life is good.

No cycling?

I went out on my Scott CR1 yesterday, but the rear mech went into the back wheel and smashed to bits. LBS says that the frame is bent and as it is Carbon, they won't bend it back. :-(

Cycle snobbery, Carbon = plastic.

Old July 5th 18, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 10:06:01 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Wednesday, 4 July 2018 20:51:20 UTC+1, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Nothing.
I was sectioned for 28 days after going to the Humber Bridge on
28MAY18, let out and now am paid money not to go again.

Nothing????!!!!
You were sectioned and you say nothing went wrong?

Let's just say it was interesting, but all you have to do is be a good boy, eat your meals, take your happy pills, don't swear and they let you go home for 2 hrs, then 6 hours, then overnight and eventually forever. Piece of cake, really as it could have been a 6 month Section 3.

I've had free prescriptions for 6 years.
There is nothing good about getting old.

I am selling my house and buying a motorhome to bum around Europe all summer in 2019 like the Dutch do. Cheap diesel, wine and food. Life is good.

And weed is legal, like most civilised countries.
Old July 5th 18, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Thursday, 5 July 2018 19:10:50 UTC+1, Simon Jester wrote:
[...]

The retired Dutch spend all summer in the Balkans or the south of Spain where things are MUCH cheaper than at home. After Norway, their fuel is the dearest in the world and so they can be seen heading to Macedonia, Bulgaria, Croatia and Greece etc in May.
Old July 7th 18, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

Cars typically put out 60 kw of heat. Even on the rare occasions motorists stop at red lights they are still emitting 5 kw on idle.
Do we really need all this unnecessary heat?

If the car is burning fossil fuel after about 10 years the solar heat the CO2 in the exhaust has trapped is about the same as the original heat of combustion, after 20 years it's 2X as much heat and so on.

Today the heat of combustion represents only 18% of the total heat from by past and present burning of fossil fuels.

'...a honk and a wave!...' Hell and High Water General 7 October 14th 05 07:06 AM
WTK Value of Rans Wave? Tracer Recumbent Biking 2 August 13th 05 03:09 AM
We're having a heat wave Maggie General 7 February 26th 05 07:50 AM
A friendly wave Chalo General 137 August 30th 04 01:53 AM
Wave if you see this man Not me, someone else UK 2 July 18th 03 12:13 AM